Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tremec TKO Transmission drive shaft seal

Post Thanks / Like

Tremec TKO Transmission drive shaft seal

Quick question for those of you who have a Tremec tranny. on the end where the drive shaft go's in there's a rubber seal that in the manual says can be removed or pushed in. We tried both and it's really hard to move, what have you guys done with that rubber boot around the the tranny splints? Your help is as always appreciated!20180211_104531.jpg 20180211_104548.jpg

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    AJT,

I don't have this transmission, but my friend does and the way we got it to move was to use a little (Very Little) WD40 to loosen it up from the spline.
    We inserted the straw in a few places, then we used an Air Needle like you use to fill a football to break the seal.
    Then we could move it in or out with ease but we did eventually remove the thing.
    Good Luck & Have A Great Build!

Steve

NOTE: I don't know if it is a good option to keep or discard the rubber do-hickie or not.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 02-11-2018 at 11:08 AM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remove mine but no problem pushing it in if it's hard to get out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Removed it

Post Thanks / Like
    Grab some pliers and start working on it, takes quite a bit of effort, but it will come out. WD40 suggested above might make it easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthTedious View Post
    Grab some pliers and start working on it, takes quite a bit of effort, but it will come out. WD40 suggested above might make it easier.
    I would stay away from WD40 as it will break down rubber seals and may damage the other seals that are needed

Post Thanks / Like
    You might know this already but there there are actually 2 pieces that make up the seal. There is a outer seal that is not removed which seals around the male splined shaft on the driveshaft when you put it in and then there is the inner seal which goes around the male splined shaft in the transmission which is the one you remove. You just need to pull back the outer seal lips and use a pair of pliers to pull on the inner seal. You just need to work your way around pulling on the inner seal at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions to work it out.
    MK4 #9237 - complete kit, Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 12/11/17

Post Thanks / Like
    I pulled mine out. Didn't seem to me it was going in the way it was made. Just be careful and take your time. Good luck.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.