Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help with Raodster Measurement

Post Thanks / Like

Help with Raodster Measurement

I’m looking to make a full width roll bar and need the measurement from outer edge to outer edge of the posts that both rollbars would attach to. I currently already have the aluminum riveted and attached to the car so it’s not possible to get an accurate measurement with out removing it. Can anyone take the measurement who does not have the aluminum attached?

Thank in advance if anyone can do that
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    40.25" outside to outside on the outer two (1.25") posts on my Mk4.

I had great success prototyping mine with 1.25" emt (it's 1.5" o.d.) - the bends and angles have to be really close to "perfect" or you'll need a portapower to put it in and get it out.

It's a lot cheaper to prototype in emt and then go to dom once you know exactly where "perfect" needs to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to consider this shape for the main hoop (it takes several prototypes to get it right):

https://www.andysautosport.com/image...hino_b_bar.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike,

Thanks so much. I was not looking forward to removing the aluminum to take the measurement. Also, thanks for the advice as well.

Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    You're welcome.

More details:

The first full width roll bar I tried - took measurements to a "pro", told him exactly what I wanted.

Definitely a portapower installation - and this was a simple straight bar.

Not his fault - it measured "pretty straight + accurate".

I highly, highly recommend prototyping with emt - if you can't bend it up right with "easy" emt at $10 a stick - you're almost certain to screw up a $50 stick of dom the first time...

For reference - I can get the one I bent myself in + out alone with a rubber mallet, and it's shaped like what I linked above.
    Last edited by mike223; 02-11-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We've been making full width roll-bars kits for customers for almost 10 years. One thing we learned early on, is that each and every one of these cars measures different. That's before you even take into account the bend-back of the bar and what the heat does when the bar is welded. Just a heads up, we always bend the D.O.M. from the center to center measurement. Most shops you take it to will do the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been exploring the full width bar option also. Any pics from you all on what you've come up with would be appreciated.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you cutrently sell full width rollbars if I decided to go that way? Regarding getting them to fit. Is it difficult once you weld the rear legs on or just in general? If so how is different from the single hoop toolbars we purchase?