Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LS3 and tko 500 removal question

Post Thanks / Like

LS3 and tko 500 removal question

I have a 33 with LS3 and TKP 500 everything has less than 500 miles on it, and want / need to remove the throw out bearing, has anyone been able to remove their clutch etc. in the car ? It looks to me like there is not enough room to allow the trans to move away from the bell housing enough to get the throw out bearing off the input shaft. The tob had dot 5 silicone run in it and McLeod says it's a no-no, seemed to be working fine, but it has only been driven a few hundred miles. I can get it apart but the input shaft is still with in the bell housing and I definitely can not get the tob off like that, it will not clear the bell housing. Am I missing something or is it simply not possible in the car. If I can't get it off I have already flushed everything it with 2 quarts of denatured alcohol and then flushed with a bunch of dot 3 and see if that is good enough. I rebuilt the master so I am sure everything to the tob is clear of the dot 5 fluid, my intention was to rebuild the tob and I have the kit on hand but I can't get to it !!
    PS I can see the tob and it does not look like it is leaking which is one of the things McLeod says will happen with the dot 5...maybe I got to it early enough.
    Thanks for any help.
    Jim
    Last edited by hutchjc1; 02-11-2018 at 05:51 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you really need to pull it take the engine & trans together. However, if there is no sign of leakage AND you're sure you have it flushed completely I suggest you refill with your DOT 3 fluid and keep an eye on it. If you didn't get all the silicone fluid out you'll likely see the formation of a jell substance and that will be a real problem to clean out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think my only option at this point is to go with what is there and hope I was able to clean it all out. I was at this point yesterday morning after flushing the system Saturday and told myself that I had the parts to rebuild and clean the tob just do it correctly and be done with it but it seems that that is not as strait forward as I assumed. It just does not look like I can get the trans into a position to either pull the tob or drop the trans out of the frame to remove the tob. I hope I am over thinking this and all will be well, I really don't want to have to pull the engine and trans to do this simple fix, if the flushing does not work.
    Thanks for your reply Naz.
    Jim