Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Side Louvers

Post Thanks / Like

Side Louvers

The flat ones that come with the kit, tricks/suggestions on bending to get uniform appearance? Or go with the assembled louvers? Curious how the assembled ones attach to the body?
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely go with the assembled version. They attach to the body with L brackets which are hidden inside the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Search a few build threads for mounting details. EdwardB and Carl Williams come to mind
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the Whitby louvers. They are attached with velcro to the inside of the body. They have not budged one bit.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't used a set of bend to fit louvers for probably 4 or 5 years but they are pretty easy to manipulate to get both the inward angle as well as the vertical slope. Since they are so light they're easy to attach; I've used both silicone as well as HVAC foil tape. I've heard of others using velcro.

RE: the assembled louvers from FFR and ********** (they are identical, right down to the box they come in ). You'll need to start by massaging the factory cutouts to match the size and angle. With that done I attach a piece of 1" angle along the top of the louver with 2 rivets. The vertical side of the angle gets a 3/8" hole:

The inside of the body gets a similar 1" angle about 1/8" below the bottom of the louver opening as well as a 1/4-20 elevator bolt above which registers with the hole in the angle attached to the top of the louver, both bonded with HSRF:

Looking from the outside you see that this creates a "shelf" for the louver assembly to rest on:

When it's time to install the 'em into the body I lay a bead of silicone across the "shelf" and sink the louver into it while rotating it into position with the bonded stud coming through the top hole. Silicone secures the bottom and washer & nut hold the top.

All done!

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy assembled. At Huntington beach this was one of many decisions I made. the stock bend em yourself louvers looked really cheap on the finished cars. small price to pay for something so visible and attention grabbing.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems these threads pop up just in time to relate to questions and thoughts about my own build. The look and stability of the assembled louvers help me decide.

Post Thanks / Like
    The stability is all in the mounting. Velcro does not stay stuck to the fiberglass very well. It does stay stuck to aluminum. My setup looks like Jeff's pictures, with Velcro on the top of the L bracket and bottom of the louver. Use industrial Velcro, not the standard stuff.

Another hint. The ********** louvers have a different angle than the body cutouts. Match the cutout angle to the louvers and it looks nicer.

Post Thanks / Like
    The stability is all in the mounting. Velcro does not stay stuck to the fiberglass very well. It does stay stuck to aluminum. My setup looks like Jeff's pictures, with Velcro on the top of the L bracket and bottom of the louver. Use industrial Velcro, not the standard stuff.

Another hint. The ********** louvers have a different angle than the body cutouts. Match the cutout angle to the louvers and it looks nicer.
    That's a great point, it makes a big difference if the cutout angle isn't matched to the louvers you decide on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I haven't used a set of bend to fit louvers for probably 4 or 5 years but they are pretty easy to manipulate to get both the inward angle as well as the vertical slope. Since they are so light they're easy to attach; I've used both silicone as well as HVAC foil tape. I've heard of others using velcro.

RE: the assembled louvers from FFR and ********** (they are identical, right down to the box they come in ). You'll need to start by massaging the factory cutouts to match the size and angle. With that done I attach a piece of 1" angle along the top of the louver with 2 rivets. The vertical side of the angle gets a 3/8" hole:

The inside of the body gets a similar 1" angle about 1/8" below the bottom of the louver opening as well as a 1/4-20 elevator bolt above which registers with the hole in the angle attached to the top of the louver, both bonded with HSRF:

Looking from the outside you see that this creates a "shelf" for the louver assembly to rest on:

When it's time to install the 'em into the body I lay a bead of silicone across the "shelf" and sink the louver into it while rotating it into position with the bonded stud coming through the top hole. Silicone secures the bottom and washer & nut hold the top.

All done!

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Jeff, Are your louvers flush with the outside of the body or flush with the inside?

e
    MK4 #9121 - Complete kit - Stroked 351, T5x, 3.55 Rear End, 3-Link - Pickup 6/17/17, 1st start 12/2/17, Go-Kart 12/9/17, Road Worthy 4/27/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jwebb View Post
    Jeff, Are your louvers flush with the outside of the body or flush with the inside?

e
    They're flush on the inside of the body. Hopefully Jeff will agree.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all, appreciate the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another dumb one: The riveted end of the louver is the front, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    My louvers (which are of the assembled variety) are flush with the inside. I sanded and shaped the edge of the opening to appear to look like the original cars' aluminum skin in that area, which is rolled over to strengthen the opening.

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074