BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Buying an older Roadster Kit from a private seller

Post Thanks / Like

Buying an older Roadster Kit from a private seller

Update:

Thanks too everyone for weighing in on this. I am not the impetues young barrel chested freedom fighter I once was. So am I not so keen on just jumping into things anymore. Its one of the things I learned in my military career was that letting your plan get sharp shot (by fellow professionals) allows your plan that much more of a chance to be successful.

I will look at the wanted forums and start looking at budgeting for a basic kit, or if a good non-starter that gets the community thumbs up I may go that way. Interestingly enough I live in Utah (not native) and we have the Kirkham bothers replicas here. However Utah has this crony capitalist law that they have to go through a "franchise dealer" which they can't and so UT citizens can't buy their cars.

God Bless looking forward to working with all of you in the future.

Hello,

My name is Dan Hicks I am (and have been) now wanting to start building the Cobra Replica. I found one for sale on the local market here in kit form the seller says that it is from the "90's" would your company be able to possibly support this kit with say any missing parts, manuals etc.?

I have added some pics from the sellers post.

I'm on a budget but figured this would be a great way to into a car even if it meant doing some extra clean up and replacements.

261797-1518312372-770505.jpg261797-1518312342-193641.jpg261797-1518312324-394712.jpg261797-1518312310-138588.jpg261797-1518312292-434423.jpg261797-1518312258-209750.jpg

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

V/R,

Dan
    Last edited by joe_dirtte19; 02-13-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Update for entire thread

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at the frame photos, that does not appear to be a Factory Five vehicle. I'm not familar with too many other replica cars so can't help you id exactly what you have.

Best of luck and I'm sure someone else will have more information for you.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Looking at the frame photos, that does not appear to be a Factory Five vehicle. I'm not familar with too many other replica cars so can't help you id exactly what you have.

Best of luck and I'm sure someone else will have more information for you.

Ray
    Thanks Ray it may not be an FFR frame.

Here is a description of the frame.

Factory Five shell from early 90s coil over front suspension linked rear jag rearend. Best built chassis out there. Don't have time at this time. Building new house,but if not will make time for rhis one. No dreamers low ballers or stories of your cars. No text serious inquiries only and i mean serious. Tired of no show tire kickers.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not an FFR body either. Run far away. Especially if your on a budget. I have built other makes of Cobras. Non of them compare to the FFR stuff for completeness and ease of build. Keep looking.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    X3. Not a Factory Five chassis or body. Factory Five of course would sell you whatever parts you want to order. But don't expect any support or documentation for that specific setup.

Best built chassis out there??? Really. That's a money pit and wouldn't have a lot of value when completed. The description from the seller doesn't sound like he would be too fun to work with either. As already stated, run. Keep shopping. Deals come up all the time. Two of my builds started their life with someone else.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-13-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_dirtte19 View Post

I'm on a budget but figured this would be a great way to into a car even if it meant doing some extra clean up and replacements.

Wrong.

X3 - Run far, far away.

Hard to complete, money pit.

Post Thanks / Like
    X however many, no part of that is Factory Five nor is that a Jag rearend and the fact that the seller is claiming so tells you all you need to know about his integrity.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Post up on the "Wanted" section here and on FFCars..com that you want an unfinished F5R kit. They are out there.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    That's not an FFR body either. Run far away. Especially if your on a budget. I have built other makes of Cobras. Non of them compare to the FFR stuff for completeness and ease of build. Keep looking.
    Mike

Ditto, Run Forrest Run!!!
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's unanimous.

Dan, that is most definitely NOT a FFR. Worse, that looks just plain scary. Angle Iron? Rusted rear suspension, mustangII front, kinda looks like a street beast to me; the world's worst replica.

Welcome to the forum, we can help you fulfill your dream. But I wouldn't recommend that kit for you. Take your time and get to know all the different manufacturers. There are many to choose from and knowing a budget can determine which ones you should be looking at. If you are anywhere around say, 22 - 65K, I think you will find that everyone here recommends a FFR. North of 65K the door opens a bit to other manufactures, based on your wants and $$$$$.

If you are trying to buy that thing for 7K I still wouldn't do it. Not when there is the occasional 10K FFR incredi-sale for base kits (not that that will ever happen again) and un-started older kits around for sale.

Keep looking.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with David, definitely NOT an F5 and more-then-likely a Street Beast POS. "the world's worst replica" doesn't even come close to what that company tried to pull off as a Cobra vendor.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    The seller say's he doesn't have time to complete it..I presume he means in this lifetime..

The reason FFR is so successful, is that their product can be completed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all

Ok still getting the hang of forum tools and buttons, not a big forum discussion guy.

I updated my original post.

But saw this and wanted to send everyone a thanks for the input not better way to sniff out a bad apple than to go directly to the tree it supposedly came from.

I am super stoked to get my FFR build on. 10 year ago I first found this site and had picked up a 1992 mustang GT for the donor. starting a family and deploying to the but hole of the earth multiple times kinda put a kink in the plans.

Thanks again,

Dan