Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiper wiring issues

Post Thanks / Like

Wiper wiring issues

So I fabricated my single wiper setup using the factory motor over a year ago, but only decided to wire it to the switch yesterday. I have the schematic, but my switch has two extra wires not listed. Neither seem to have any power or continuity to each other or ground and supplying them with power seemed to have no effect.. Otherwise the colours are the same and match up with the motor wiring.

Ok, on to the problem. Wiper operates fine in hi and low speed, and when you pull on the stalk and push the spray button. However the intermittent setting and speed selector have no effect and the wiper just goes at the regular low speed, it never returns to park regardless of mode, and the wiper will stop whenever the switch is turned off regardless of position. I searched online, wiring diagrams, and through what remains of my Subaru harness and cannot see any other components involved, so the intermittent control must be in the switch. And the park control I expect is in the motor, but I’m lost as to how it works.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Adam, "factory motor" means Subaru donor, not Factory Five, right? Using donor wiring, right? The Subaru wiring diagram - page WI-136 - shows the wiper motor has 5 wires, YB/*1/BL/*2/B and the first four go to the intermittent wiper module. Have you found the intermittent wiper module?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Adam, "factory motor" means Subaru donor, not Factory Five, right? Using donor wiring, right? The Subaru wiring diagram - page WI-136 - shows the wiper motor has 5 wires, YB/*1/BL/*2/B and the first four go to the intermittent wiper module. Have you found the intermittent wiper module?
    Yes the Subaru motor, and yes Subaru wiring. I have the first 4 wires all going directly to the steering column switch. I have the Subaru wire harness, but I couldn’t find anything for a separate module. I’ll have another look.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There are 5 wires going to the switch and wiper motor
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    There are 5 wires going to the switch and wiper motor
    I have 5 wires off the motor, one goes to a local ground and the rest to the switch. The switch has 8 wires off it, the 4 that match the motor, ground, washer pump power, and two unknowns. If I’m understanding AZPete correctly, there should be a “module” between the motor and switch that would control the intermittent function.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The module is built into the switch

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    The module is built into the switch
    That was what I thought before AZPete suggested otherwise. Any thoughts on the other two wires and why I don’t have the return to park and intermittent functions? The other two wires are solid blue and green with red stripe.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the self park feature is built into the motor. There should be one wire always supplying 12V to the motor (w/ ignition on) such that if you briefly touch one of the two speed wires (Hi/Low), the motor will do a full revolution and park itself. This is symbolized by the switch inside the motor diagram (pins 1 & 5); after the motor turns it opens the switch (parks). If you take a voltage reading on the wires coming from the combination switch, you can see if there's a wiring issue on that end. Likewise, you can hook up a battery to test your motor out, I think it needs constant 12V on the YB wire to perform the self park.

I used a marine motor (same as Bobncincy) to also do a single wiper but kept the oem combination switch.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    wiper.jpg

Here is the wiring

Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne is correct, and he's got so much experience that he's always correct. The diagram Wayne posted is the same as I was looking at yesterday, but I neglected the big square line of the Combination Switch. Ooops, sorry. My modified donor wiper motor and washer motor both connect to the B70 connector and work fine. Do you have this B70?
    B70.jpg
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Self park only works with the key on

Post Thanks / Like
    Constant power is tee’d into the yellow/black wire with the key on. I have the same connector Pete. I don’t recall having an issue with it parking back when I installed the wiper and it’s been left in the parked position. I’m going to try testing just the motor again to confirm.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Update. I went through my wiring like a dozen times, and am certain that I had it right. Still no idea what those extra two wires are though. So I figured it had to be either the switch or the motor. Like STiPWRD said the “return to park” is built into the motor. A little googling confirmed this and it’s pretty much how they all work. I took the motor apart and while I couldn’t figure out how to make it all work, there’s definitely a rotary switch built into the cover that hits the contact each time around. I just got back from the auto parts store with a new motor and plugged it in, and sure enough that was the problem. The intermittent function also works now.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017