Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why has everybody sold their 818?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know why others are selling theirs. I am guessing their priorities have changed, or life has changed.

For me it ticks all the boxes:
    tick - looks Awesome....go look at my build
    tick - acceleration of 0-60mph in 4+ seconds
    tick - amazing cornering and handling
    tick - sounds great
    tick - great sound system
    tick - gets lots of looks
    tick - reliable power so far....

Every time I come into the office with a great big smile on my face.... my colleagues ask why.
    Ever time I drive it I have a smile....
    3 summers so far..... a couple more upgrades this winter.....can't wait till next summer.

I'm not selling.
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

2. Likes Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve been very interesting this thread from the beginning. My situation is similar to several others here, 65 & getting older every day. My car has been a learning experience for sure. I’ve been thinking about the numbers tho. If I can squeak under the finish line for 50K, here are my thoughts; I may be able to use the car for another 5 years or so. I have a bad back, so this isn’t a guarantee. So, divide the cost by 5 and this is my cost per year to drive my Dream. Now, I live in southern Ohio so weather prevents use for about 1/2 of the year. Roughly the cost to own my car would be somewhere near $60 per day, based on the decent weather days here. I figure at some point, my back will prevent me from driving it. So, at that price (which excludes extraneous costs, gas, oil, insurance, etc) one should take full advantage at every possible opportunity. Driving the wheels off is the only way to recoup the value, because selling is out of the question. If I could have afforded such a project at a younger age, that would have been nice. My skill levels in my youth wouldn’t have carried me through the project. I always wanted a hand built car, tube frame, mid engine, etc., except the stars didn’t align until now. It’s a catch 22.
    My advice to anyone capable of building one of these cars would be to start the project while you’re still young & agile and your eyesight isn’t compromised. Do everything you’ve always wanted in a car. Don’t plan on an endless project, drive the sucker. There will always be other cars that tickle your fancy, grass is always greener..... I didn’t start the project based upon its finished sale price, but dang! My car has already got its next home, as I plan to give it to my friend who has helped me along the way. I know he will drive & enjoy it. It’ll have claw marks all over it when it leaves my hands! Everyone has their reasons for building/keeping these cars. There’s mine.

4. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Btw, gas prices won’t stay at $3/gal forever. That should make some difference in the sale prices eventually. Where else can you have that much driving fun and still get 28 mpg?

Yes, I love Technology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lance - well put. You and I are just about exactly the same situation right down the line, back and all. Except I got about 5 years on you. Mine will probably go to my grandson although he needs to grow some more before I'd trust him alone in the thing...

That's assuming I ever get it finished too .

Definitely did not build it expecting to recover costs.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking to Buying an already built 818C or 818S with a hard top.

If anyone is looking to sell a 818C or 818S with a hard top that can be registered as a daily driven personal vehicle let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I've been involved with Factory Five cars for the better part of 2 decades, having built for myself as well as for customers. Much of the time I think it comes down to expectations; some may look at the 818 and think that it is comparable to a Boxter that they can build for themselves---it isn't. There was a recent discussion on this exact topic. It was heavily Roadster related but the main points are applicable.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...t=expectations

Jeff
    I just stumbled upon this link and it's been a food read so far. Thanks for sharing!

9. Thanks AZPete thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I bought a 818 and I think I would be better off in a Boxster as I am not a wrenching kind of guy. So I am probably going to sell my 818 soon (Hindsight's old car).

Post Thanks / Like
    Owned our 818 for 3 years now, recently had it listed for 2 weeks, no offers so I unlisted it. Fast forward this entire week I used it as a commuter 110 miles a day of mixed driving. 22-25mpg on a '06 WRX stock build. I enjoy the cruise control at times, I enjoy the ability to pass cars on the hwy without the need to downshift at all. The trunk gets a lot of use. Mornings are cold so i'm always prepared, afternoons are awsome. Commuting to work in the 818 brings me in good spirits, enjoying some tunes and fresh air rather then the Avalon I usually drive.

818 owners that get actual use out of their builds know what it's like to drive around in a analog car that is compensating for nothing, small and powerful without even trying! There are haters on the road that will get in your way cause it's like they can read your intentions and feel the need to govern the road. If I want to get ahead I usually just hang back and catch some by surprise, the instant boost is something you cannot prepare for when you trying to block a 818

Why do people sell? I'm trying aswell.....I want an offroad Exocet because I live in the desert, the lady wants a Argnage R because she likes to keep me in the garage, and I already made it clear to her that if we still own the 818 next year I will be making it faster. That is what she is afraid of! It's a bit scary to her as is and to top it off, $25/mo to insure with agreed Value!
    Last edited by mac1; 03-05-2020 at 10:46 PM.

12. Likes AZPete liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by markclow1 View Post
    Yes I bought a 818 and I think I would be better off in a Boxster as I am not a wrenching kind of guy. So I am probably going to sell my 818 soon (Hindsight's old car).

Although they are in the same category, they are worlds apart. If the Boxter is your cup of tea then yeah, the 818 was a mistake.
    I have driven 2 boxters, low mileage model in 2008 and it felt peppy and great, then recently a high mileage one and I must say that I've never been in such a crappy feeling car. THey are inexpensive sporty car for sure and might give you some thrill for the money. 818 is much easier to work on though.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    thanks for everyone's insight, this thread was a good read.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123