BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why has everybody sold their 818?

Post Thanks / Like

Why has everybody sold their 818?

Hi there,
    I've been looking at the 818 for a few years now, and I'm almost to the point where I can start planning my build. Up until now I've been moving around and I haven't had a house for the last couple years (so no garage to work in). However, I'm a few months away from having my new house built and I'll finally have a garage again! Recently I started reading a lot of build threads to get some ideas and learn more about the 818 in general. They've been a great resource so far, so thank you to anybody that has contributed over the years.

I did notice something strange while reading the build threads though. A lot of people put dates for when they bought, first started, first drove, completed, tracked, etc... their cars in their signature. I was surprised at how many of these signatures said they sold their 818 within a year of completing it. After spending a year building the car and putting so much money into it, why have so many people quickly sold their 818?

Was it too unrefined, expensive to insure, impractical outside of a track? Maybe it was more fun to build than actually drive or you had an opportunity to sell it for a profit? Perhaps people just didn't want to store it or never found time to drive it?

I'm just curious why somebody would put $20k+ into a car for less than a year of use. If you could, please share your experience or give some feedback.

Thanks,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike
    Lots of ppl build the car as FFR intends and when finished, realize the car doesn't measure up to their preconceived notions. Also, given the multiple body panels, body fitment is more difficult than some 1 piece bodies. Add in that many ppl don't have the facility nor the skills to build that exceptional car that they had envisioned. And don't forget that the 818 is in its early years, therefore many small but not incidental areas still need to be addressed, causing builders to engineer certain fixes as they go. And finally, there's that thing about revisiting certain aspects of the build which were let go or still needed more work, which rarely happens. These cars can be as big of a money pit as any other FFR car, it all depends on you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't sold, but have certainly thought about it before. Living in Michigan means my car is in storage about 5 months out of the year which really kills it for me, and I'm pretty young and adventurous when it comes to driving it in cold weather. Obviously a full HVAC would improve that, but really it just needs a roof for the occasional passing rain. We have a 25% chance of rain here just about every day which makes it hard to take out for an all day or weekend adventure. Given the return on investment, I probably wouldn't even bother with the windows whether it was a hard or soft top, I'd just like something to keep the seats relatively dry.

The second thing that would help greatly is a bit of storage space. With two people in the car you're limited to an area behind the seats about the size of a phone book and whatever your passenger is willing to hold in their lap. This is easy enough for me to fix with the trunk kit and I plan to do so before summer. It'll also give me somewhere to keep all the little things that normally live in your glove box (insurance cards, tire pressure gauge, etc.)

And I'll second everything Lance listed above. Based on this forum it seems like less than 50% of all FFR cars are ever really driven. They're simply never completed, or become trailer queens due to investment/reliability issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with what's been said so far. I'd add that a few have sold their cars to fund other projects or toys. One sold to buy a boat, others have sold to buy another kit. I think I remember one sold to fund the expansion of their business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lance, I could definitely see somebody building a half-baked car and being let down at the end result. I've read about the FFR issues, but I noticed more that a lot of people go off on tangents re-engineering parts and designing custom setups that seem to multiply their build time/costs. I've enjoyed seeing what the community has come up with, but personally I would stick closer to the book to keep time/costs down. While focusing on the quality of my work rather than doubling it and spreading myself thin. I feel like a lot of builders created their own issues and drove costs up when they ventured too far off the path. I think I'd be happy with a $20k car that's 90% perfect, over a $40k car that's 95% perfect. Also, my wife only agreed to let me use her half of the garage for 1 year so I'll be on a time crunch lol.

Hey Phil, I hear ya about the weather. Columbus, OH isn't too different from the southern half of Michigan. I drive up north of Detroit every couple months for work and Columbus is similar but a little more mild (temp and precipitation wise). I would want to add an HVAC system though to extend my driving time in cool weather. Luckily we don't get much snow down here so that's a minor concern. I completely agree with you on the trunk. I had the same concerns when considering a motorcycle. Without any storage, there would be almost no trips that were suitable for it. I'm not going to go grocery shopping, transport boxes to work, or lug a suitcase home on it. It would only be good for joy rides which wasn't appealing to me.

Flynntuna, I can understand that but I'm actually doing the opposite. I've been waiting to buy a house, so I could have a garage to build my car lol. What's better than 2 large investments?

Thanks for your input guys. These are all great points to consider.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been involved with Factory Five cars for the better part of 2 decades, having built for myself as well as for customers. Much of the time I think it comes down to expectations; some may look at the 818 and think that it is comparable to a Boxter that they can build for themselves---it isn't. There was a recent discussion on this exact topic. It was heavily Roadster related but the main points are applicable.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...t=expectations

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I've been involved with Factory Five cars for the better part of 2 decades, having built for myself as well as for customers. Much of the time I think it comes down to expectations; some may look at the 818 and think that it is comparable to a Boxter that they can build for themselves---it isn't. There was a recent discussion on this exact topic. It was heavily Roadster related but the main points are applicable.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...t=expectations

Jeff
    That thread had some great info Jeff. Thanks for the link. As somebody that occasionally races, does all his own maintenance, and supercharged his last car (Acura RSX-S), I think I have the personality that would appreciate an 818's rewards over it's short comings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcamera View Post
    These are all great points to consider.
    Consider this while your at it. The majority of guys building the FFR Cobra replica's (other than then the guys purposely building to sell), often hang on to their cars for years, and years. Perhaps the classic looks, and the roar of a an American V8 engine is more attractive in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, my wife only agreed to let me use her half of the garage for 1 year so I'll be on a time crunch lol.
    Her half of the garage? Man, we give up so much already!!

I put up an interior wall so my wife could an office all to herself. And she already gets decoration authority over the entire house as well as supreme domain of the bedroom. Garage is MINE, and I let her park in it!!! Except Saturdays, when I'm working on the 818!

Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to the thoughts already expressed, some folks enjoy the build experience more than the ownership experience. Once that last screw is turned, they start itching for another project.

BTW, we're in Columbus as well and I daily drive a 2002 RSX-S. Send me a PM if you want to come by and look over our 818S some time.
    Doug
    Former Design Director at FormaCars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Perhaps the classic looks, and the roar of a an American V8 engine is more attractive in the long run.
    I actually found FFR a few years ago when I was looking to build a Cobra. I do like the Cobra's a lot, but when I saw the 818 I knew it was more my style. I've seen several cobra's on the road and at car meets, but I've actually never seen an 818 in person. Their rarity is part of the appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by turbomacncheese View Post
    Her half of the garage? Man, we give up so much already!!

I put up an interior wall so my wife could an office all to herself. And she already gets decoration authority over the entire house as well as supreme domain of the bedroom. Garage is MINE, and I let her park in it!!! Except Saturdays, when I'm working on the 818!
    You're preaching to the choir. The garage will definitely be my area, but she was irritated that she would have to park outside for another winter if I was building a car in the garage. Our compromise was that I had to buy a remote start for her car. Is my leash getting shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug @ Forma View Post
    In addition to the thoughts already expressed, some folks enjoy the build experience more than the ownership experience. Once that last screw is turned, they start itching for another project.

BTW, we're in Columbus as well and I daily drive a 2002 RSX-S. Send me a PM if you want to come by and look over our 818S some time.
    I know how that goes. I'm always looking for a project and I'm excited this one will take awhile. I'll definitely PM you. Like I mentioned above, I've never seen an 818 in person so I would love to check yours out. Thanks for reaching out!

Post Thanks / Like
    This.

It is about the journey and not the destination.

I don't expect to own mine for long after the build. I will probably do a few mods here and there AFTER I sum up the build but knowing myself, I will move on to another build of some sort, rinse, and repeat.

13. Likes Mitch Wright liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    These 3 guys have it right . . .

Turbomacncheese: "The garage is mine and I let her park in it!" (YES!!)
    Doug@ Formacars: "Once that last screw is turned they start itching . . ."
    Carlsonmj: "It is about the journey and not the destination."

I've built 2 FFR cars. When there was nothing more I could do to my roadster, I sold it.
    Now, I'm having a tough time finding more projects for my 818, so I'm thinking of selling it.
    For me, the fun is in the garage more than on the road because it's a big fun project.
    If I wanted a fast, fun, cool-looking sports car, I would just buy one.
    But, they come already built. What's the fun in that?

There are many other like-minded lunatics who love building more than driving so a low mileage 818 may have been built with great care and pride by a guy looking for his next project.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I am with you Pete, the build is a big part of the fun factor for me. The second phase of the fun factor I enjoy is tuning and development my 818R so it has its place in the shop for a while.
    And yes I have started another build project. Plus it gives me a really good excuse to buy more tools and equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've already begun to prepare my wife for the next project, and I don't even have my engine wired up yet. Next round will have to be much more affordable, though. Like an 80s semi-restoration.

You're preaching to the choir. The garage will definitely be my area, but she was irritated that she would have to park outside for another winter if I was building a car in the garage.
    That's fair, I think. See if there isn't some way to clear up enough space that she can still park there. We both park in the driveway while I'm a-wrenching, but I clear out a space for her to park at night.

Our compromise was that I had to buy a remote start for her car. Is my leash getting shorter?
    Yes, yes it is. But it happens to the best of us. Well, the best of us who stay married, anyway...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, when you guys that would rather build than drive want to sell your 818's just let me know.
    I would like to build but just don't have the time and in the end the only reason I want to build is so I can drive it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My deal with my wife had been that I get the garage spots when I need them, however, I would need to scrape ice off her car in the morning if I was taking up the spot. I was happy with that deal but somehow I have convinced her, or possibly she convinced me with some mind trick, that we should buy land with enough space to build a large outbuilding garage workshop for me. She loves making things herself, so she has always been really supportive of my projects. That is a large part of how I view the Factory Five cars though, as projects. Yes, I think it will be great fun to drive around in it afterwards, however, some of that will be pride in building it for me. I expect that I will keep the car I build for a while but I can certainly see how many people build it and move on to another project once they are finished with it. After all, there is always the next project and who knows how much that is going to cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 818 is getting close to ready for inspection/registration and it has been a fun journey. That said, for some reason I feel like the car has not taken on the life that I thought it would while I was reading about the cars development. I was probably expecting too much, but I had hoped that it would catch on in the tuner world, be seen on covers of tuner magazines/websites, maybe even make its way on to an Xbox or playstation game..... It kind of seems like the car has fizzled and is need of some new development injection. It would be nice if there were more going on with the 818 at the factory, but it really seems to be languishing. Probably just my imagination.

I like my car, but there is a good chance I will try to sell it once there is nothing left for me to build on it. Unless the factory keeps releasing new improvements and upgrades that make it fun to keep......targa top kit? New aero kit? Updated rear end design? New engine option(s)? Interior kit (more OE like)? Better door design/implementation? Soft top/S windshield frame revision that works with power side windows (this is a must in my opinion....cant believe they havent done it already).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DND View Post
    Well, when you guys that would rather build than drive want to sell your 818's just let me know.
    I would like to build but just don't have the time and in the end the only reason I want to build is so I can drive it.
    Here's a replica for sale..lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Replic...-/282834228642

Post Thanks / Like
    It is all about taking the time to create what want. The 818 structure provides alot of options and there are amazing examples being built here. Enjoy the journey.

Here is the rendering of the front of my 818 I started in 2014...still carving it out. Getting Close. 818 BC draw.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't even received my Type 65 kit yet... but I can already tell you MOST gear heads I know... we tend to bore. We work on the car to cure boredom, and when the build is complete... boredom returns. I'm building a Type 65 coupe to build... sell... and fund a GTM. PERIOD. It's probably the sexiest kit car I've EVER seen... and my 3 C5s (two Z06, one Z51) have been my MOST favorite cars... EVER. So that's my motivation in all this. I'm sure i will need a year or two before I WANT to build another FFR, judging from the this forum. But that's fine, too!

Order your kit man. Enjoy it. But remember it's a project... not a budget build!

Good luck man and keep us in the loop!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    ... for some reason I feel like the car has not taken on the life that I thought it would while I was reading about the cars development. I was probably expecting too much, but I had hoped that it would catch on in the tuner world, be seen on covers of tuner magazines/websites, maybe even make its way on to an Xbox or playstation game..... It kind of seems like the car has fizzled and is need of some new development injection. It would be nice if there were more going on with the 818 at the factory, but it really seems to be languishing. Probably just my imagination.
    I took mine to an autocross in Toledo this summer and was very surprised at the number of people (nearly all in the 25-35 age range and driving subarus) that knew what it was and were very interesting in trying it out for size as they had at some point put some thought into building one. The big thing that they all complained about was pulling the trigger on a $20k project at this stage in life without being able to see and poke around one in person.

In my opinion, FFR does an abysmal job of selling kits. They rely almost entirely on current builders and owners to be their sales people for them. It works well, but if they wanted to improve sales they should be at every Autorama and similar event around the country. If they sold just 1 or 2 kits at each show they'd probably re-coup their investment, and I imagine they'd sell a lot more than that. They could even "borrow" local builds to save on transportation/logistics costs and give some of the higher-end builders a free entry to show off their work.

Also, other than Wayne's attempt at the track day car challenge, they don't seem very interested in helping out the R guys. If they want to boast that they are selling "race cars" they should be more interested in showing results at Thunderhill and the lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    ...somehow I have convinced her, or possibly she convinced me with some mind trick, that we should buy land with enough space to build a large outbuilding garage workshop for me...
    That's a good woman---like mine! A couple of years ago my wife pronounced "We need less house and you need more garage." Not being one to argue I built us a smaller 2,200 square foot house with 3 car attached garage and a separate 30x48 shop for me

Jeff

25. Likes Houdini liked this post
    Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
    I took mine to an autocross in Toledo this summer and was very surprised at the number of people (nearly all in the 25-35 age range and driving subarus) that knew what it was and were very interesting in trying it out for size as they had at some point put some thought into building one. The big thing that they all complained about was pulling the trigger on a $20k project at this stage in life without being able to see and poke around one in person.

In my opinion, FFR does an abysmal job of selling kits. They rely almost entirely on current builders and owners to be their sales people for them. It works well, but if they wanted to improve sales they should be at every Autorama and similar event around the country. If they sold just 1 or 2 kits at each show they'd probably re-coup their investment, and I imagine they'd sell a lot more than that. They could even "borrow" local builds to save on transportation/logistics costs and give some of the higher-end builders a free entry to show off their work.

Also, other than Wayne's attempt at the track day car challenge, they don't seem very interested in helping out the R guys. If they want to boast that they are selling "race cars" they should be more interested in showing results at Thunderhill and the lot.
    Well said Phil, I was at the build school when the first Subaru donor arrived and I predicted the 818 would change the customer base for FFR. I don't think it has, and much of that is for the reasons you mention. I almost built one, and almost bought a finished one, but, continue to procrastinate for a number of reasons. My daily driver happens to be an Impreza and my son has an older Impreza so a Donor build sits in his driveway, yet we like our "subbies" as is (AWD). When I showed up for my first auto cross with the Hot Rod we had lots of conversation about the 818. I even offered a bay in my garage to do a team build. The impression I got is most don't want to take on the effort required. Drivers often aren't always builders and people just don't have the time.
    I have also mentioned on other posts that the "R" designator is misleading along with the company name. I stand by that statement. When you come out and change the car twice in the first couple years then it gives the community Beta caution. When you cant get a chassis certified its very frustrating. In some cases you have to run in the most competitive class due to the car weight, power, and tire size. This can intimidate a new driver.
    Yes FFR should take a couple 818's and a Daytona to some driving schools and let people run them for sure. I would rather have a day at Watkins Glen with an 818R or a GenIII Daytona R than look at one in Syracuse. Sign the waiver and drive!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live 8 miles from the build school and was able to look at theirs before I committed. If that hadn't been an option to me I never would have bought in.

It's shocking to me that living in southeast Michigan where we have some of the largest hot-rod and antique car shows in the world (or so I'm told - I've never fact checked the brochures) the closest FFR event is Oshkosh WI. That's over 7 hours away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phil1734 View Post
    It's shocking to me that living in southeast Michigan where we have some of the largest hot-rod and antique car shows in the world (or so I'm told - I've never fact checked the brochures) the closest FFR event is Oshkosh WI. That's over 7 hours away.
    The London Show in Columbus Ohio is only 3-3 1/2 hours from you. Although it is not strictly FFR (nor is Oshkosh) they are definitely predominant.

Jeff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five only brought Cobras to that show. No 818s, Hot Rods or GTMs. Though to be honest, I'm only assuming that they even bring anything else to Oshkosh or anywhere else, and the Forma guys did show up with their 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jeff Kleiner;314166]That's a good woman---like mine! A couple of years ago my wife pronounced "We need less house and you need more garage." Not being one to argue I built us a smaller 2,200 square foot house with 3 car attached garage and a separate 30x48 shop for me
    [/IMG]
    uhhhh, jealous over here....

Post Thanks / Like
    This post grabbed my attention as I’ve been contemplating selling my project as my health as just been too big a challenge to make any progress for the last two and a half years. My build page is a record of that. Adding a second child during that time made garage time merely a dream. It kind if stinks leaving the daily drivers outside in the cold when no progress is being made. In my case, the push to sell centers around uncontrollable life circumstances. Another MRI tomorrow to keep digging. I’m still chewing on the decision though. I came to the site for a little motivation to keep going. This post wasn’t exactly what I was hoping for, lol.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1272 View Post
    My 818 is getting close to ready for inspection/registration and it has been a fun journey. That said, for some reason I feel like the car has not taken on the life that I thought it would while I was reading about the cars development. I was probably expecting too much, but I had hoped that it would catch on in the tuner world, be seen on covers of tuner magazines/websites, maybe even make its way on to an Xbox or playstation game..... It kind of seems like the car has fizzled and is need of some new development injection. It would be nice if there were more going on with the 818 at the factory, but it really seems to be languishing. Probably just my imagination.

I like my car, but there is a good chance I will try to sell it once there is nothing left for me to build on it. Unless the factory keeps releasing new improvements and upgrades that make it fun to keep......targa top kit? New aero kit? Updated rear end design? New engine option(s)? Interior kit (more OE like)? Better door design/implementation? Soft top/S windshield frame revision that works with power side windows (this is a must in my opinion....cant believe they havent done it already).
    Funny I actually thought the opposite. I was apart of the tuner world for a bit and they just don't have the kind of mindset of someone that would do a full kit car. This is actually why I want one. I am banking on it being super rare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
    This post grabbed my attention as I’ve been contemplating selling my project as my health as just been too big a challenge to make any progress for the last two and a half years. My build page is a record of that. Adding a second child during that time made garage time merely a dream. It kind if stinks leaving the daily drivers outside in the cold when no progress is being made. In my case, the push to sell centers around uncontrollable life circumstances. Another MRI tomorrow to keep digging. I’m still chewing on the decision though. I came to the site for a little motivation to keep going. This post wasn’t exactly what I was hoping for, lol.
    Sorry to hear about the health issues Rich, hopefully this next MRI gives you answers. I too had a second child during the build which has been ongoing for over 4 years now. On 3 separate ocasions I’ve gone 6 months without touching the car, life gets busy and the car is never a priority. While it maybe time to re-evaluate, I hope you find some motivation instead.

I for one have no intentions of selling, as driving/Racing will be just as engaging and enjoyable as the build. But at the same time, my next two builds are already on the books. I’m just going to have to get a bigger garage in a couple of years.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    Add me to the 2 kid during the build club. Ha! That and adding another race car and a box truck that needed some attention.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your health issues Goldwing. I hope your tests go well. Health of course takes priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
    too big a challenge to make any progress for the last two and a half years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    during the build which has been ongoing for over 4 years now. On 3 separate ocasions I’ve gone 6 months without touching the car
    These are the kind of comments that scare me. It seems like a fair amount of people put a lot of time, money, and effort into building the car and never actually get to see the finished product and enjoy the car.

On the other hand, the threads where I see people complete the car and try to race it, appear to have a lot of issues. Half the reason I wanted to build an 818 was to have a capable track weapon that I could take out a few times per year, but I'm starting to doubt that this is a good car for that without spending 2x what I want to. I think I need to reevaluate how badly I want a unique sports car vs an actual track car.

In good news, I'm going to the Forma car shop tonight to see their 818S since I've never seen one! I'm excited to meet the guys and pick their brains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few of additional thoughts on why people are selling their 818. Many people think their kit car would make a good daily driver. That is not the case. Having a MK2 cobra for 12 years and now driving an 818 for 2 years, one quickly discovers they are a fun weekend car. They are hard to get in and out of, no place to lock up much, you worry about them in the parking lot, you are constantly being ask if it is real or what is it, it is too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, and the list goes on! Basically they are a fun car to go for weekend rides and various car shows. They are toy that you have a minimum of 20K wrapped up in. If you are satisfied with that and feel good about the accomplishment of building a neat car it is good choice.

I am also careful about when I drive the 818. There is enough performance one needs to be focused, and not distracted with life in general. It is not a car to go out and blow off steam! I am not there every day.
    As for people not finishing their cars there are a lot of reasons. You should plan on dedicating most of a year to build it. It takes discipline to push through the problems. You WILL have problems but that is where the forum is very important. Having an attitude of ” there is too much invested in this project to let it sit” is critical Many people create their own problems by going for the best of everything or deviating for the original design. A simple change can cause untold problems down the road. You have to be constantly thinking 3 to 4 steps ahead. With the best of everything very quickly you find you budget doubles! Most components were designed for a much heavier vehicle.

I do feel FFR has failed to support the 818 in the racing scene. The reason the Cobra has such good resale valve is it’s racing heritage.

My final advice is if you build a car plan on driving and enjoying for yourself. It you sell it plan on losing money. I was fortunate with the MK2, I watch my budget during the build, enjoyed it for 12 years, and broke even when I sold it.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you think about it. Losing money on a car sale is pretty much to be expected on every type of car. Cars go down in value. The only exception is when emotion is attached to them. I personally love the 818 and think it is super cool. But it isn't attached to anything. If it had better branding and was marketed a bit better, than I could see it being so. The car has a lot of potential.

You also have to think that it could just be that the people that are buying 818s are not posting here in the forums. It is hard to know really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, you are forgetting that a lot of us will sell our 818 for the same reason a lot guys sell their Roadster, Hot Rod, GTM or Coupe:

We love building and want to start another kit!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

39. Thanks mikeb75 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped and picked up more sandpaper and some filler at the boat shop a guy says what are you working on and the owner starts telling him my story! Hey when will it be done he says? I proclaimed not this summer but maybe next year the guy says wow what a great attitude!
    This is a project and a journey. For many the life changes attitude and unforeseen circumstances pop up! My last project took 13 years from test flight to solo! Many great days but more not so great days and thoughts of sellling! But press on and enjoyed the hell out of it!!! More projects get started than finished so the sooner it's finished the better!
    I guess that if more life changes happen the chances of finishing and enjoying are less also! So get it done and enjoy!!
    But mostly enjoy the journey!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are my thoughts on why people sell. No real data to back it up, just my best guesses based on what I've seen and experienced.

1: Cost. FFR touts the $10k kit price and $15k finished price. In general I've seen more interest from a younger demographic, mostly the Subaru/tuner crowd. They tend to be on the younger side, statistically they earn less money, have less saved up, and have higher expenses (daycare anyone?) than someone interested in a Cobra. The $15k number sounds fantastic. A porsche for the cost of a rather decent used car (see reason #2). You quickly realize that a $15k 818 looks worse than a $15k used car. No one wants that. Add in wheels (that don't look like they're sucked into the car), seats (that don't put your head above the rollbar), new seals and bearings (since you'll likely have to replace them eventually), new brakes and rotors, powdercoat for the myriad of bare aluminum parts, and any other things like paint (see #3) that make the car your dream car and you're easily approaching mid $20k's or low $30k's. That's almost double what someone signed up for. $30k almost buys you a brand new STI. Sure, it isn't as fast, but it's more usable (see #4).

2: I think a lot of people thought they were getting a Porsche (or insert other luxury marque) for the cost of a 5 year old Camry. The pics in magazines look good. The high profile builds look good. Their build doesn't. Up close you can see the rough edges and the out of the box fit and finish isn't OEM level. It takes a lot of work (time and/or money) to get it there. This makes a builder feel disenfranchised. We've all seen ricers with chipped and cracked body kits. No one wants their dream car to be on that level.

3: Paint. We were sold a paint free kit. I can bolt things together, machine things, and fabricate lots of stuff. Bodywork is out of my wheel house. I've never done it. Doesn't mean I won't try, but the idea of "buy it, bolt it, drive it" became "buy it, bolt it, fix it, bolt it, body work, paint". I've seen a lot of builds stall out on the body work portion. Wayne has built a lot of great looking cars, but he farms out the body and paint. I recall he said he spent $6k on the body and paint for his first orange one. Add to that the body fitment is so-so (fenders 1/2" difference in length anyone?).

4: Usability. This was mentioned before. I have two small race cars (F500, F600) that I only drive for an hour or so a year. They're only race cars and they were rather inexpensive (I have about $6k tied up in each). $6k doesn't buy you anything faster or nicer so it's easy to justify. $30k buys you some really nice and rather quick new cars. It also buys you some nice and even faster used cars. They won't be as fast, but they'll be rain tight, have heat and AC, a radio, a roof, windshield wipers, known levels of safety and crash worthiness, probably more than 2 seats, and daily driveability. My old WRX was super stiff, had no AC, and was built to be a street legal race car. People that thought their car was stiff would complain about mine. but I loved it. Not everyone does. The less it gets used the harder it is to justify having spent $30k.

5: Demographic. Aside from cost and usability, the demographic I've seen most attracted to this car has two other things stacked against it: 1, young family age and 2, tuner culture. I had zero kids when I started this project. I worked on it all the time. I now have two kids and a business I didn't before and my build time is much more rare. I know of at least 5 other people that started with zero kids and now have one or more. This also feeds into the usability. I can't drive my car (when it's done) unless I know the weather will be good AND I don't need to pick up or drop off at daycare. Double whammy. With the tuner culture (which also fits the younger car demographic) I've seen less deep car knowledge and fabrication skills and more general knowledge and general hand tool (bolt on) skills. Most WRX/STI owners will bolt on an intake and an exhaust and call it a day. Some are more adventurous and do bushings, maybe suspension. That's it. Once the 818 ventured beyond "bolt on" (see #6) it became daunting.

6: Skills required: I've had several people come look at my kit. It seems 50/50 who builds one. More of the older generation went ahead and built one. The younger generation all said "I'm glad I saw this first" and didn't build on. Many didn't have the tools or skills required to go beyond basic bolt it together builds. Fixing the things that don't quite fit right and doing body work turned off a lot of people prior to getting one. I only imagine lots of the unfinished builds for sale are in the same category.

That said....I'm keeping mine. I haven't worked on it more than an hour or two since my son was born 17 months ago. Doesn't help I picked up a box truck, the F600, I rebuilt my backyard pergola, and business picked up in the same time frame. I've accepted it won't be the same quality as an OEM and that it will need bodywork (which will be slow going). I paid cash for everything and I'm not hurting for money so that doesn't really factor into a decision to keep or sell. The kids will be older some day and I won't have to drop off for daycare. I have access to a full machine shop and can fix and modify anything I need to, so that doesn't turn me off either. To be fair though, if I had dropped the car off for bodywork 2 years ago I'd be done. It's about the only thing holding me up now.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

42. Likes longislandwrx liked this post
    PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Hey guys, you are forgetting that a lot of us will sell our 818 for the same reason a lot guys sell their Roadster, Hot Rod, GTM or Coupe:

We love building and want to start another kit!
    What he said, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Mechie3, but I'm not in your age category. By making parts for other people, you are prolonging your own build. There are tons of needs for correcting shortcomings of this kit. Opportunities some would say. The irony is that by the time one acquires the skill set to build one of these cars properly, he is almost too old to enjoy it's capabilities.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast