Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone in lower NY (Westchester), CT (Fairfield) I can meet to test fit in your MK4?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone in lower NY (Westchester), CT (Fairfield) I can meet to test fit in your MK4?

Hi guys my wife is so the one pushing me to build one she absolutely loves these cars and I feel FF is the best value and chassis you can get for the money. I am very impressed with the new Mk4 revisions and using the new IRS from the Mustang.

I had some concerns with comfort for myself and the wife and I also had a few concerns regarding registering and insuring such a car in the NY area.

I own many vintage cars but this i hear can be a total PITA with the DMV and all these rules they have now. if anyone from the lower NY area has one and would take the time to chat with me direct or even meet up that would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

I also would need a good and reliable source to paint the body as most shops I know down my way will never get involved with such a task they are too consumed fixing hondas and toyotas.

thanks again.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure you'll get a few replys to this, there are quite a few builders down in your area. But heck, if I were you I'd take a ride out the factory for a tour and test fit too. It's not that far and makes for a fun day. (I went out just this last Monday for no good reason but to get re-energized on my project) They have a showroom with most if not all their models on display. Just call first though, they have a busy show schedule this year and some of the cars will be taking road trips across the country from time to time.

As far as a NY, yes it does kind of suck. But if you follow the rules and do the paper work properly, you'll have no problem.

Some things to keep in mind:
    Get the application package https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/vs100.pdf
    Downstate = cats
    Have receipts for all major components like engine/trans/rear, etc. (vin numbers and documentation for any donor parts)
    defroster / wipers / padded dash / padded visors required
    OBDII not required (may have changed though, might be required if it's a post '96 engine)
    Build / Drive / Have fun

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m in Montgomery NY it’s a MK 3 but almost the same, MK 4 has more leg room than mine

Post Thanks / Like
    What is your height and weight? Plenty of big guys here than can give advice.
    i am 6'3" and 215. I sat in a few cars prior to building and it was pretty worthless honestly. Unless the car is built for a tall guy you won't get a good idea. The first one I sat in the owner was 5'10" or so and I was completely uncomfortable. Thought there was no way I could ever fit. You can do things with the seat type, seat location and pedals to make room. If you are intent to sit in one I would look for one that has a driver a similar size to you.
    I am quite comfortable in mine the way I installed the seat and with my seat choice. The kirkeys you sit more down and in than on top of and those create some more leg room.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys thanks for the replies, i am not huge by any means but i have some personal constraints from racing accidents growing up so i need to make sure i am comfortable enough to drive. Lumbar nerve compressions and my legs are not that long but my arms are so i need to make sure shifter position while my body and legs can work the pedals is ok due to a wrist and hand injury i need to be able to full extend my right arm to shift into gears otherwise i get massive pain and inflammation in my thumb joint and wrist. I wish they had adjustable pedal assemblies or something similar. My wife is 5"11 and I am as well.
    If the weather wasnt so bad i would love to take a drive up to FF and make a weekend in Boston out of it but still too darn cold for my tastes.

Can the shifter locations be modified on these cars using a TK0600 or Toploader? I know some companies offer mechanism to relocated the shifters but not sure how that would work on such a small car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some people use the mid shift conversion kit on the TKO600. The rear shift position with the forward angling shift handle are the norm but the mid shift looks to work just fine as well. I wouldn't call the pedal assemblies adjustable but with the Wilwood pedal box you do have the capability to adjust your final positions a bit when installing them.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the tko500 with a midshift and I love it the shifter is straight no dog leg and is easy to reach and shift

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I, too, have the TKO-600 with the mid-shift options. I prefer it for both looks and because it moves in the same direction that you expect it to move.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few of us in the Dutchess/Orange county area if you want to take a ride a couple counties north. PM me and I'd be glad to chat.