Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone have experience with registration in Colorado

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have experience with registration in Colorado

Wondering if there is anyone in Colorado that has gone through or is going through the registration process?
    Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have registered 2 in Colorado. Not real difficult but time consuming. Typically it takes a couple of months. The Mile High Cobra Cobra Club use to have a good section on their web site. Your local license plate office should be able to help you. They have a series of forms for you to take home and fill out. The state web site has that information too. That is where you start and then get an appointment with the state patrol for a safety check. The time for an an appointment can be as long as a month. Back to the DMV for a temp tag for your inspection. My experience has been a quick look over for glaring safety items, write done the color, mileage and check the serial number on the chassis that matches the MCO. Then you file a bunch of paper work with the department of revenue. They are extremely fussy about everything being correct. I would recommend going to their HQ. They are real concerned about the big items you can be taxed on. Even then it may get bounced back a time or two! Once a vin plate has been assigned you go back to the state patrol office to have it installed. Both times I've had some hassle on issuing a second temporary tag to get the vin installed. Then back to the license plate office. Compared to a lot of states it is real easy, just time consuming.
    Larry

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Makes me glad that I bought a title for my '37 and skipped all of that. It's ridiculous that it should take so long and require so much paper work. It's just an excuse to charge a lot of sales tax and jack up the property tax value. My '37 is worth $250.

The old guy at the salvage yard where I went to buy a title acted insulted when I asked about a title. He said "I sell cars, not titles!" Okay, then sell me a car. Of course, most of the cars he sells were melted down long ago, or they are still sitting outside at a farm, rusting to nothing. There was one '36 Ford out in front though. There was virtually nothing left of it, but the VIN number stamped in the frame was still barely legible. The key is not just getting a title (usually from out of state). The salvage yard also fills out the Colorado state form the says he inspected the VIN number of the car that he's selling. Once that's done there is no further inspection on your "car". Colorado does a nationwide VIN number check on all out of state titles. The first one I bought showed up in two other states, so it was worthless. I got a replacement for free and that one passed.
    Last edited by DaveS53; 02-16-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry J W View Post
    I have registered 2 in Colorado. Not real difficult but time consuming. Typically it takes a couple of months. The Mile High Cobra Cobra Club use to have a good section on their web site. Your local license plate office should be able to help you. They have a series of forms for you to take home and fill out. The state web site has that information too. That is where you start and then get an appointment with the state patrol for a safety check. The time for an an appointment can be as long as a month. Back to the DMV for a temp tag for your inspection. My experience has been a quick look over for glaring safety items, write done the color, mileage and check the serial number on the chassis that matches the MCO. Then you file a bunch of paper work with the department of revenue. They are extremely fussy about everything being correct. I would recommend going to their HQ. They are real concerned about the big items you can be taxed on. Even then it may get bounced back a time or two! Once a vin plate has been assigned you go back to the state patrol office to have it installed. Both times I've had some hassle on issuing a second temporary tag to get the vin installed. Then back to the license plate office. Compared to a lot of states it is real easy, just time consuming.
    Larry
    Larry, Thanks very much for the feedback. I have not started my 33 build yet but before I did I wanted to be sure there wasn't going to be an issue getting it registered once finished. That would be a real bad thing to spend all that time only to find out you can't get it on the road. So thanks again very much for the rather complete process description. Sounds like typical government red tape and time but very doable. THX. Sherwood

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry,
    When you say you have registered 2 here in Colo. are those Factory Fives? Either of them a '33?

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, I don't see my earlier response to you. New to the forum so I think I didn't do it correctly. Anyway, yes govt red tape and taxes. What can you do. Have you Built a factory five? I see you are real close to me. I'm in south Fort Colins. Do you know of other FFR builders in the state? I don't see too many on the Google map here on the forum. In fact I only see 3 in the state.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm building a MK4 roadster and will second the advice above with regards to visiting the Mile Hi Cobra Club's page on registering a kit car:

http://www.milehicobraclub.com/licensing.php

I've looked over all the state forms and they aren't that bad. I also had a stamp made with the required affidavit that the state requires on all receipts that are submitted with your paperwork.

"I certify under penalty of perjury in the second degree that the above statements are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge."

I've been told that you only need to submit receipts for the major components: complete kit, engine, etc. When they ask about a specific component, just respond with, "It was part of the kit."

I will trailer my car to the Colorado State Patrol for the inspection as I live about 45 minutes away from my county's vehicle registration office, so doing the temp tag thing isn't an option. You are only supposed to be able to get one temp tag issued, hence the comment on encountering difficulty getting a second one.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The first one was a MK2 that I had to go through emissions the first few years. The Colorado Collector Car Club got that change quite a few years ago. Now all kit cars are exempt from emission checks. The most recent car is a 818. Yes I got bounced for not adding the statement "I certify under penalty of perjury in the second degree that the above statements are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge" and leaving some questions blank and not saying "not applicable".
    Larry