Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CDobbs MK4 base kit build by wallace18

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

CDobbs MK4 base kit build by wallace18

I just ordered a base kit MK4 for my painter guy, Chris. We are swapping out work. I will build his MK4 and he will do the paint and body work on my Hot Rod 35 P/U. Works well for me. We will go get both kits in early April. We will use a 1992 donor mustang he has for the base kit. I always wanted to build a base kit car, now I get to do it. Here is what we ordered.
    Base Kit
    Powder coat chassis
    Body cut outs for 2 roll bars
    Tubular lower FCA
    FFR vintage gauge set
    wind wings and sun visors
    passenger roll bar with grommets
    heat/defrost
    Electrical system completion components
    vinyl seats
    J-pipes

The game plan is for everything to be black. I am very excited as is Chris. I will be getting all the donor stuff ready till the kit is ready.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good trade. It sounds like both of you are going to win. Good luck!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great deal for both of you!!!
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet, I have re-ordered so many misshipped parts in the last month. I'm surprised the kit went so long without even being checked, 2/2014 delivery, I checked parts boxes last year... 12/2017. Hah. This is a sweet deal though. Cant wait to see the progress..

Post Thanks / Like
    After getting some measurements from Tony at FFR and RoadRacer I am 100% sure both kits will fit in my 20' FFR enclosed trailer. The 35 is 14' long but the frame is only about 19" wide at the very front. This allows me to put the 35 way into my v-nose on the floor up front. The distance from the frame front to the rear of the cab is 8'. This allows me 13'6" from the rear of the cab to the rear door. The MK4 is 13' long. I will build a platform above the 35 bed for the MK4 and stack them staggered. There will be plenty of room on the sides for boxes as well as my F-150 bed and rear seat area. We will have to attach the MK4 floor to 4"x6" side rails after the 35 is in place and tied down. Should be an adventure for sure, but will save me another trip and money. Thanks again to everyone who gave me measurements to make this happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris brought by his 1992 donor mustang last night. Turns out it already has the A/C delete for the front serpent system. Nice donor and has really nice wheels and tires to go on the MK4. Engine has GT40 intake and GT40P heads. I will start to get all the donor stuff off of it on Friday afternoon.

IMG_2324.JPGIMG_2325.JPGIMG_2326.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Had time after lunch to remove engine, trans. and drive shaft. Hope to get rest of donor stuff out of car tomorrow.

IMG_2328.JPGIMG_2329.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I was able to remove all the donor parts from the 92 Mustang. I loaded it up on my trailer for Chris to get it out of my yard, LOL. Taking Sunday off for good behavior.
    IMG_2331.JPGIMG_2335.JPGIMG_2334.JPGIMG_2337.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wallace18; 02-24-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took apart the motor yesterday. Chris told me that he thought he hurt the motor doing a burn out. It turns out it wiped out the crank and bearings but everything else is OK. I will replace lots of wear items anyway. Chris is coming by tomorrow to take a look and get my parts list so he can get the needed stuff for the repair of needed items.

IMG_2354.JPGIMG_2355.JPGIMG_2356.JPGIMG_2357.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Been working on donor stuff. I cleaned and painted the heads, accessories brackets, steering rack, rear end and power brake unit. Lots of blasting and wire brushing before paint.

IMG_2361.JPGIMG_2362.JPGIMG_2363.JPGIMG_2364.JPGIMG_2365.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

That's a pretty unusual clothes line you have going there... HA

You are making solid progress as always! Is Chris pretty stoked about seeing the work you are doing?

As always, I enjoy following along!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris is excited for sure. It turns out after I honed the cylinders #1 has a big scratch in it. Chris is either going to sleeve that #1 cylinder or find a good std. block.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I cleaned up fuel tank, transmission. Cleaned and painted front calipers, water pump, intakes, bell housing and front spindles. Should have most everything cleaned and painted by Monday. Chris is working on parts list for me.

IMG_2366.JPGIMG_2377.JPGIMG_2378.JPGIMG_2374.JPGIMG_2370.JPGIMG_2367.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Great pics. You do nice work!!
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today i reconditioned the pedal box, gas pedal, wrinkle painted valve covers, replaced injector seals and reassembled intake. taking a few days off till parts come in and block comes back from fixing #1 cylinder.

IMG_2383.JPGIMG_2382.JPGIMG_2379.JPGIMG_2384.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris and I have been going back and forth on what to do with his block and crank. We ended up using a good 0.40 over block and pistons I had with a rebuilt 10/10 crank kit. I am waiting on a gasket set and then should be able to put the motor and trans stuff together. Chris came down with the flu. Hope he is better by April. Short block assembled today.

IMG_2388.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Waiting on gasket set had me doing what you have to do with a 26 year old donor. Clean, wire brush, paint bolts and brackets. Not my idea of fun but needed work anyway.

IMG_2390.JPGIMG_2391.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up the basic engine. All black as per Chris. Taking the weekend off to do a car show.

IMG_2392.JPGIMG_2393.JPGIMG_2394.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the detailed pics and updates....nice to see

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom-

Looking good, as always! It's nice to follow along on a donor build.

Good luck at the car show. Which car are you taking? Let us know how it goes if you get the chance!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not have a car right now, waiting on my35 kit. Just helping out.

Post Thanks / Like
    After catching a bad cold for the 3rd time in 4 months I am finally feeling well enough to do some donor work. I installed the BBK clutch kit on the pedal cluster. Way better IMO than the stock plastic stuff. Also painted the fuel tank and quad shocks. Chris should have rest of the stuff to finish up donor prep by Wednesday.

IMG_2395.JPGIMG_2396.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

I'm impressed with the speed in which you have progressed on this project. What did you do, hire a bunch of garden gnomes to pull that donor apart? My planned build echoes this one very closely, and my donor is a '93. I'll be watching your build thread with great interest. Are you doing PS as well as PB?

Video

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by videodude View Post
    Tom,

I'm impressed with the speed in which you have progressed on this project. What did you do, hire a bunch of garden gnomes to pull that donor apart? My planned build echoes this one very closely, and my donor is a '93. I'll be watching your build thread with great interest. Are you doing PS as well as PB?

Video
    Yes we are doing both. I am fortunate to be retired and have a excellent workshop and tools. It makes the whole deal go easy. Thanks for the kind words.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up the rest of the parts we needed yesterday. I pulled off the rear end cover , drained fluid and checked it out. Nice 4:10 Ford ring gear set. Chris found a aluminum cover to replace rusty old one. Filled up and ready to go!

IMG_2403.JPGIMG_2404.JPGIMG_2405.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed the control arms, shocks, sway bar and new brake hose. I also installed & packed new front wheel bearings, rotors, pads on the front spindles. All ready to bolt in. Installed new S/S headers and oil filter on new adapter.

IMG_2410.JPGIMG_2413.JPGIMG_2412.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got email from Tony at FFR. We will pickup MK4 and 35 on April 9th. Chris is stoked!

Post Thanks / Like
    With all the pre-assembly these should be about a 3 month build!!!!! No pressure!
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    Well we are all ready to hit the road tomorrow morning to get the MK4 and 35 P/U. We have stops in NC and PA for the first few days. Should be at FFR Monday morning to load everything up.

IMG_2414.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Made it to FFR on Monday safe and sound. Met with all our great FFR folks. Dave gave Chris the 50 cent tour and Chris was blown away with FFR. We loaded the 35 first them his MK4. Made it home safe on Tuesday about 10:45PM. Thanks to all the FFR gang for their help and friendship.

IMG_2421.JPGIMG_2420.JPGIMG_2425.JPGIMG_2426.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday morning I got all the boxes out of the trailer. I put all the MK4 boxes on the LS and my 35 on the RS of my bay. I was able to inventory all of the MK4 by noon, Yea! Besides the POL list (backordered parts) only 2 bolts were missing . Great job, Paul at FFR! I will finish up getting some bare steel parts painted for assembly on the MK4 today as well as finish up the 35 inventory.

IMG_2427.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of folks have been wondering how we were going to get the MK4 out of the second deck in my trailer. It was very easy. I lifted the front of the frame and Chris put a furniture dolly under it. We backed my trailer as far back to my shop opening as we could and put another dolly under the ramp door. Chris and I lifted the rear of the MK4 and rolled it out enough to strap it to the beam over the shop door. Then I pulled the trailer forward till the dolly was at the rear of the deck. Then my neighbor Dave came by with his JD loader and lifted the MK4 up and I drove the trailer away. Then we set the MK4 on 2 dolly's and rolled it up on the lift. My hotrod buddies came over and we put the body on the body buck. Now I can get going on the build. Woo Hoo!

IMG_2431.JPGIMG_2433.JPGIMG_2432.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-13-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had time this afternoon to paint the spring perches, brake hose brackets, spindle adapters and front bumper/T/S brackets. Also used truck bed coating on the front aluminum panels. Did some clecko work too.

IMG_2436.JPGIMG_2438.JPGIMG_2437.JPGIMG_2439.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-13-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mounted front aluminum panels and front suspension minus POL front shocks. Mounted front rack with extensions. Thanks to Mike Everson for help with that. Drilled and fabbed up R/S foot-box, drilled most of L/S foot-box. I removed R/S and pt together with some technical screws. I will coat outside with Lizard Skin and inside with get Eastwood Therm-sound insulation. This is great time to layout insulation. Beats trying to do it in the car laying on your back, LOL. Dave Smith talked Chris into some 17" staggered Roadster wheels. Wink, Wink! We will be converting to 5-lug next week so Chris can use those instead of the 4 lug ones from the donor. Sweet!

IMG_2440.JPGIMG_2441.JPGIMG_2442.JPGIMG_2444.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 04-18-2018 at 06:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was a drilling kind of day today. I drilled and mocked up the rest of the foot-boxes, floors, rear interior panels and 6 pieces of trunk panels. I will now coat all of them so they can be installed when it is time. To save time if 2 panels are mirror images I drill on and use it as a template for the other. Makes it look the same and saves time. I also make a center brace for the firewall. Still have 8 more interior/trunk aluminum panels to drill and mock up.

IMG_2449.JPGIMG_2448.JPGIMG_2450.JPGIMG_2447.JPG
    Last edited by wallace18; 12-15-2019 at 06:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I finished up the rest of the interior aluminum drilling. I then coated the foot-boxes, floors, tunnel cover and firewall with Lizard Skin coatings. All the rest that is exposed to the outside I coated with black HF truck bed liner. The Florida sun made it quick drying for sure.

IMG_2451.JPGIMG_2452.JPGIMG_2454.JPGIMG_2455.JPGIMG_2456.JPGIMG_2457.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I siliconed and riveted 90% of the interior aluminum, firewall, Passenger foot-box and front of drivers foot-box. Also installed Battery, hold down and negative cable. Installed steering shaft minus POL top shaft. Installed pedal box, P/B booster and Master Cylinder. I used a left over complete kit gas pedal instead of modified stock one. Waiting on Jeff at Whitby to send P/B brace for frame. Should have been here a week ago. Hopefully soon. Staying busy working around missing parts till they come in. Hope to have 5-lug conversion parts by tomorrow. Taking Thursday off to drive church bus for the day.

IMG_2458.JPGIMG_2459.JPGIMG_2460.JPGIMG_2461.JPGIMG_2463.JPGIMG_2464.JPGIMG_2466.JPG

38. Thanks cahlheim thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Today I siliconed and riveted 90% of the interior aluminum, firewall, Passenger foot-box and front of drivers foot-box. Also installed Battery, hold down and negative cable. Installed steering shaft minus POL top shaft. Installed pedal box, P/B booster and Master Cylinder. I used a left over complete kit gas pedal instead of modified stock one. Waiting on Jeff at Whitby to send P/B brace for frame. Should have been here a week ago. Hopefully soon. Staying busy working around missing parts till they come in. Hope to have 5-lug conversion parts by tomorrow. Taking Thursday off to drive church bus for the day.
    Today?! Dang, that's more than I can get done in a month. Keep it up!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I spent most of the time converting the front and back to 5-lug from the 4-lug Fox body stuff. Started to install the 4-link rear end. Still have to do the spring perches, springs and axle straps. 3-link is much easier , IMO.

IMG_2467.JPGIMG_2469.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked just a few hours this morning. Finished up rear end , Installed E-Brake handle and hooked up to cables, mounted gas tank and fuel filter.

IMG_2470.JPGIMG_2471.JPGIMG_2473.JPGIMG_2472.JPG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast