Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Considering a Challenger Car, a few questions

Post Thanks / Like

Considering a Challenger Car, a few questions

Hello,

I currently do HPDE and Time Trials in a 2012 Porsche Cayman R. Great car, really fantastic on the track; however, it is really expensive to run and should I lose a motor or gearbox, we are looking at $25k and $16k respectively. Upgrades are very costly too. Consumables are likewise expensive. I've always loved Cobra's and always had it in my mind that I would have a Cobra someday. Seems this might be the time to consider the switch.

A few questions:

If I were to go down this route, I had it in my mind that I would build vs. buy an already built kit. However, there are number of completed cars with compelling specs that are worth considering. When looking at an older Challenge car, what is the difference in Mk1,2, or 3 compared to the Mk4 Challenge car currently offered from FF? Is the space frame/chassis itself different or are there parts that can back dated to the older cars?

As the actual Challenge series appears defunct (at least here on the West Coast), I am not necessarily interested in running the spec 5.0, but would probably look at something like a Coyote 5.0. I realize 'anything' is possible, but how hard is it to put a Coyote motor into a Challenge car chassis? I've seen a video online where a Coyote was put into a Mk4 roadster, but presumably the kit was ordered with that motor in mind.

Any other thoughts/input/advice is most welcome.

Best,
    DJM

Post Thanks / Like
    You would almost certainly come out faster, easier, and cheaper buying a well sorted used Challenge car - Where someone else got all the details sorted out - track ready.

Most of those cars are likely to have a significant stock of spares available.

No, I don't have one for sale... lol

Post Thanks / Like
    DJM, There are small differences in challenge car chassis, because its a challenge car with extra rollbars etc they are much stiffer then the street version to start with. I had a MK2 and added a couple of extra bars to update it to mk4 'spec'. There are also footboxe differences to accommodate newer wider engines in MK4.

As for Coyote it fits in the challenge car it fits but you will need updated the drivers and passengers footboxes to fit the super wide Coyote engine depending on the age of the chassis. These parts you can get from Factory Five if you ask for them.
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    djm68 - I'm also considering a challenge car. Have you moved forward with your plans?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm building a Challenge Car, chassis #8885, new mid 2016. Not sure if I can help but I'd be happy to try.
    My chassis is still mostly unassembled. I'm changing the roll bar and other parts, custom gas tank, 427w, QuickTime, TKO-600 and new IRS.
    Jim