Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: D-Port Chevy 350 Headers

Post Thanks / Like

D-Port Chevy 350 Headers

I purchased a set of Flowtech 31108 headers for my build (Chevy performance SP350 crate engine) at the suggestion of FFR and these headers are trash. Bad quality welds, bad quality coating, and the flange face is killing me with exhaust leaks. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate headers that fit with the FFR exhaust to a sbc 350?

One added complication is that the heads on an SP350 are "fast burn" heads which are actually D-Port and not oval. I have had limited success getting my oval port headers to seal against them, but since the head ports are smaller than the headers, the main issue is quality of the sealing face on the headers. Just wondering if anyone has found a better solution or alternate headers that fit with the SBC adapters that I can take a look at.

Thanks

Darth

Post Thanks / Like
    I used these cheap ones that I had to strip and spray. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9005

no miles on it, just brought to temp 3-4 times. But no leaks and welds are tidy.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered looking at Sanderson Headers?

https://www.sandersonheaders.com/

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    That chassis is tight and finding adequate headers that fit and complement a high performance SBC is a challenge. I couldn't find a suitable header to fit the chassis and not choke my engine so I ended up making custom headers and mufflers. So if you can't find store-bought there are outfits that will build you a set. Or if you don't need high-flow headers you may be able to cut off the flanges on your current set and weld on flanges that fit your exhaust ports. Welding on the flanges is easy and if you don't have the means to do it yourself any welding shop could handle this. And the cost is probably less than a new set of headers (defiantly much less if you do the work yourself).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Have you considered looking at Sanderson Headers?

https://www.sandersonheaders.com/
    GoDadGo

I spoke with Sanderson, and found one of their products that might work, but I didnt really have a way to confirm if it would fit and dont really want to buy $600 headers just to have them clash. Also, was attempting to get them to fit up with the FFR adapters, but that is probably a lost option if I go with anything but the flowtech or the summit mentioned above.

Was just seeing if anyone had found a better solution, the summit headers might be an option to fix the quality issue, but they are oval not D port so I am back to the drawing board a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    These are the same headers that I bought recently. I just got them bolted to the motor last night. I bought them because of the non-high temp paint on them. I know it sounds odd but since I am going with a newly rebuilt motor I don't want to break in and tune the motor with a set of coated headers. I figure once the paint burns off, I can take the headers to be powder coated.

I was hoping to have the motor started this week or so but things got in the way.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    TD, just a word of caution on powder coating headers. I tried the high-temp powder coating for headers and I couldn't even run the engine long enough to adjust the timing before the shop was full of smoke and had small burnt chips of powder coating all over the engine and the floor. The powder coating shop said it was a product specifically made for headers and was supposed to be able to withstand 1200-deg. I put an IR gun on them while they were still idling and mine ran around 600-deg if I remember correctly -- no where near 1200-deg.

Got my money back and had him sand blast all the burnt coating off. I went back to the old stand-by: VHT rattle can header paint. I just registered that experience in my "don't need to try that again" file.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that info NAZ... I was thinking powder coating just because I heard it could handle the heat.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a data point for you, not on my LS3 engine as that isn't in the car yet.
    On my 540i 4.4L engine I put long tube stainless headers on it and had the inside and outside ceramic coated.
    At idle they are reading 420F which is a lot cooler than the stock exhaust manifold.

Post Thanks / Like
    As it applies to one of the OP's original comments regarding poor seal between his D port heads and round or oval tube headers I can verify that with a quality set of headers that scenario works fine. I have a 56 Chevy pickup with the same setup and with malleable copper gaskets and Hedman headers it has been virtually leak free.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the soft copper header gaskets like AZREALTOR above and can attest that they work much better than the conventional gaskets that most headers come with. Also, I have D-Port exhaust ports on my SBC and used oval flanges when building the headers. These cover the D-Ports and are leak free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthTedious View Post
    I purchased a set of Flowtech 31108 headers for my build (Chevy performance SP350 crate engine) at the suggestion of FFR and these headers are trash. Bad quality welds, bad quality coating, and the flange face is killing me with exhaust leaks. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate headers that fit with the FFR exhaust to a sbc 350?

One added complication is that the heads on an SP350 are "fast burn" heads which are actually D-Port and not oval. I have had limited success getting my oval port headers to seal against them, but since the head ports are smaller than the headers, the main issue is quality of the sealing face on the headers. Just wondering if anyone has found a better solution or alternate headers that fit with the SBC adapters that I can take a look at.

Thanks

Darth
    I have a possible solution to your header woes. I have a 283 small block, in my FFR 33, with '80s Corvette aluminum heads with the raised "D" port exhaust. After much searching I settled on a pair of Sanderson headers p/n CC!7-P. These fit early eighties Chevelles and El Caminos. They are designed to fit the raised D port heads along with angle plugs. I ordered mine in bare steel in case I needed to make mods. The driver's side fit without any changes. The passenger side required the moving of the four into one collector up about an inch and one half (shortening the overall length). Both transistion pipes supplied by FFR required a lot of cut and refit to go from these headers to the underfloor pipes. The passenger side down pipe, after modification, barely clears the firewall, about 3/16 inch. Both sides easily clear the setback motor mounts as supplied. I guessed on these headers but am happy with the result. I ordered directly from Sanderson and the cost was $345 plus shipping for a total of $376.21. BTW the header flanges are extra thick. I have yet to fire it all up but believe this will solve my exhaust issues.