BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ordered my MKIV

Post Thanks / Like
    I do plan to take it easy, but I plan to take it. I'm anxious to get the motor here. Mike Forte finished it several months ago. So I'll like looking at it even if it just sits in my garage for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I do plan to take it easy, but I plan to take it. I'm anxious to get the motor here. Mike Forte finished it several months ago. So I'll like looking at it even if it just sits in my garage for a while.
    From a KC native, I’m rooting for you. I’m waiting on my Forte’s engine delivery now too.

Hope to see you cruising in the Ozarks one day. Go Chiefs!
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been over 3 months since my surgery and I am anxious to get back to work on the MK4. We've had a couple of warm days and i was able to spend some time in the garage. I put the padded vinyl on the dash and stared the Breeze seat modification. I am making room in the garage for my motor and plan to call Mike Forte Monday morning and have him ship it to me.
    Don't expect the weather to stay mild much longer; so, I'll try to get a little more done tomorrow. By the way I'll be 72 tomorrow as well. I'd like to be ready for paint before 73.

Post Thanks / Like
    John,

Good to hear you are recovering and back at the build. Happy birthday!

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Motor was delivered this morning. Thanks Mike Forte. As the garage warms up I can study the manual and find the mounts and transmission support and plan the install.IMG_1424.jpg

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks Like You Are Finally Feeling Better!

>>> We Hope! <<<

Welcome back to the fun of wrench swinging!

Post Thanks / Like
    Battery question: I'm using the Breeze front battery mount mode. Breeze said I could use a type 51. Should I go for the Optima or do I need to spend that much? Also do I need to use the reverse posts?
    Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed the F panels today. I'll have to admit I was nervous drilling the first holes. But now I've broken the ice, and I 'm ready to keep moving.
    You'll be sooo over drilling holes before you're done!

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    You'll be sooo over drilling holes before you're done!

Dave
    You went back a few months for that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    You went back a few months for that one.
    I know -- Sometimes I don't pay attention to the latest post. So, are you over drilling yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I know -- Sometimes I don't pay attention to the latest post. So, are you over drilling yet?
    Mostly. The rear cockpit and trunk have to be drilled and riveted. I've done brake lines and fuel lines. The wiring harness is laid in (not all plugged in) I have the motor in the shop and when the weather warms up I'll put it in. Made some progress over the summer. Spent the winter recovery from surgery. Now I'm just waiting for warmer weather. The garage is too cold at 40 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're making great progress in spite of the hurdles. Keep up the great work.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Should I go for the Optima or do I need to spend that much? Also do I need to use the reverse posts?
    I've never owned/used an Optima (or felt the need for it) personally. A lot of the common opinion is they're overrated for the cost and longevity.
    I bought an upper/middle of the road NAPA "house brand" battery for #9365. 60 month warranty, and the highest CCA rating for the Group 51 size in that "quality" category.

I'm also using the Breeze battery box, don't get the "R"/reverse post version. Here's a few pics as to why NOT the "R" version...

Battery_01.png
    The "R/reverse" post version would put the + post into close proximity to the front chassis "X". If something should happen it could ground out.

Battery_02.png
    You can see just how close the negative cable terminal gets to the "X" member with a NON "R" version.

Battery_03.png
    Routing & main ground attachment ideas...
    Last edited by Fixit; 02-20-2019 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Edited for "R" version clarification
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, for the response. I have a friend at Battery Outfitters who helped me with the purchase of the Optima at a price that I could live with.
    Last edited by John T; 02-20-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Add information

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine will not be as traditional as yours. I plan to use a Blue Print 306 and TK0 600 for my drive train.
    good looking engine!
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    I've never owned/used an Optima (or felt the need for it) personally. A lot of the common opinion is they're overrated for the cost and longevity.
    I bought an upper/middle of the road NAPA "house brand" battery for #9365. 60 month warranty, and the highest CCA rating for the Group 51 size in that "quality" category.

I'm also using the Breeze battery box, and yes... get the "R"/reverse post version. Here's a few pics as to why the "R" version...

Battery_01.png
    The "R/reverse" post version puts the + post into the void/airspace of the front chassis "X". If something should happen there's nothing for it to ground out to.

Battery_02.png
    You can see just how close the negative cable terminal gets to the "X" member.

Battery_03.png
    Routing & main ground attachment ideas...
    Looking at your photo, it seems you have a 51 not a 51R battery. My understanding is the R is for right post positive. The front of your battery is facing forward (up against the X frame) with the positive being on the left to stay away from the frame. Am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected... It is a 51 in #9365, not an "R".

The warnings should state to not get an "R"... as it will put the + post very close to the frame "X" member.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree that Optima batteries aren't cheap. Seems people have a love/hate relationship with them. Some say they last for a decade or whatever. Others seem to have problems just as soon as another much cheaper brands. I can only cite my experience. I've used them twice in the Breeze mount. Both still going strong. One six years old, the other three years old. They do have a 3-year full replacement warranty. But then so do others. One of the things that makes them especially expensive in this application is the only Group 51 Optima sells is their higher end yellow top deep cycle version. But I like that because it gives me a little more margin for error since our driving season is short and the car spends half the time in storage. I throw a C-Tek charger on it a couple times during storage just to be sure, and all so far is good. If you do go Optima, you want part number 8071-167 D51. That puts the terminals in the right location, with the positive post well away from the frame as mentioned. Looks like this during my #8674 build.

Last edited by edwardb; 02-20-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123