BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordered my MKIV

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations John, it's a fun adventure. I have had mine 7 days and made tons of progress in a short time. Compared to restoring a 50 year old vehicle building this roadster is easy. It's great not having to clean parts or deal with 50 year old grime, I don't think I will ever fix up an old car again.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    After The F-Panels The Fun Really Starts:

Front Suspension Assembly Video:
    https://youtu.be/oBJ5dKLrhoU

Baby Steps Will Soon Turn Into So Much More!

Post Thanks / Like
    Things are moving slow. I still have several suspension and brake parts on the POL-- Parts on Order List. I've taken a few small steps--like adding the caliper brackets to the rear axle and putting the lower and upper control arms on the front. I've painted a few of the aluminum and bare metal parts. However, the more parts I paint the more that come out of the numbered boxes and so my organization is suffering.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's worth the effort to keep track of parts taken out for painting, fit check, or other purposes. I had to step away from my build for nearly a year while dealing with family health issues - amazing how many parts had apparently walked away from their boxes when I returned! Even just a quick note on the build sheet or box cover is priceless as you're trying to track down parts that aren't where they're supposed to be.

I remember 'breaking the ice' with the first holes on the F-panels. I've now drilled so many rivet holes in the car that I don't even think twice about reaching for the drill.

Enjoy the fun!
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Mine will not be as traditional as yours. I plan to use a Blue Print 306 and TK0 600 for my drive train.
    Getting there!!! it'll be rumbling before you know it!!!
    Last edited by BluePrintEngines; 06-05-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while since I've posted to this thread. The car is here and I've started. The front suspension and brakes have been installed for a few weeks now and last night I had some help and now the rear axle and three link are installed. Image 7-19-18 at 11.57 AM.jpeg
    I have had to call on tech support a few times, but I am still enjoying the process. However, the friends that helped install the axle and suspension seemed to enjoy it more the me. Maybe because they didn't have to pay for the privilege of working on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tidbit #1
    Install the rear wiring harness before installing the trunk floor and fuel tank.

Tidbit #2
    Drill the roll bars and mounts prior to installing the rear cockpit back and inner rear quarter panel aluminum bits.

Tidbit #3
    Enjoy every minute of the build and walk away for a while when you get frustrated.

Good Luck & Happy Wrenching!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Tidbit #1
    Install the rear wiring harness before installing the trunk floor and fuel tank.

Tidbit #2
    Drill the roll bars and mounts prior to installing the rear cockpit back and inner rear quarter panel aluminum bits.

Tidbit #3
    Enjoy every minute of the build and walk away for a while when you get frustrated.

Good Luck & Happy Wrenching!
    Good advice. Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Started to install the power steering rack. It is the one supplied by FFR. The tech at FFR indicated I could use the instructions for the manual rack. However, the bushings and sleeves supplied with kit have a 1/2" id and the bushing and sleeves in the power rack are 5/8". Do I punch out the 5/8" bushings and replace with the 1/2" bushing or do I drill the frame to 5/8"? Or is there a third option?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Started to install the power steering rack. It is the one supplied by FFR. The tech at FFR indicated I could use the instructions for the manual rack. However, the bushings and sleeves supplied with kit have a 1/2" id and the bushing and sleeves in the power rack are 5/8". Do I punch out the 5/8" bushings and replace with the 1/2" bushing or do I drill the frame to 5/8"? Or is there a third option?
    Thanks.
    Don't drill the frame. Use the bushings and sleeves (and bolts...) provided in the kit. Haven't used the FF power steering rack. But sounds the same as when you buy one at the local parts store, e.g. the stock bushings and sleeves need to be removed and replaced.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I was leery of drilling the frame since it would make it a little weaker.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a mistake putting on the steering arms early on. I discovered it as I was installing the power steering rack. I've spent the day removing parts in order to remove the steering arms and put them on the right side. Now they are on correctly and the rack is mounted and the tie rods are attached. As a novice, I find there are things to look for, like the taper of the hole, that if you don't get right you have to do them all over. Lesson learned -- I hope. Until next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steering arm mis-installation is a lesson learned by many of us. Trust me that finding and fixing these things makes a big improvement in your confidence and understanding of the equipment as it goes together. I'd never installed a clutch or dropped an engine into a car before, but now that I've done each three times, I could do it with my eyes closed. It's the first time that's hard (and sometimes intimidating).

It's a journey. You've already made more progress than a number of kit buyers. The trick is just to keep making small victories - they add up to the big milestones: roller, go-kart, body-on, registered, graduated.

One other hard-learned lesson for me - if you find you've made a mistake and it looks like lots of work to fix, check with the forum. It's likely many others have made the same mistake and there's often a quicker/easier fix than you think. Would have saved me many, many hours of work.

BTW - my wife's parents had a place in Pittsburgh, MO for a number of years. We'd come over to Springfield sometimes when we visited. Nice country!
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    Steering arm mis-installation is a lesson learned by many of us. Trust me that finding and fixing these things makes a big improvement in your confidence and understanding of the equipment as it goes together. I'd never installed a clutch or dropped an engine into a car before, but now that I've done each three times, I could do it with my eyes closed. It's the first time that's hard (and sometimes intimidating).

It's a journey. You've already made more progress than a number of kit buyers. The trick is just to keep making small victories - they add up to the big milestones: roller, go-kart, body-on, registered, graduated.

One other hard-learned lesson for me - if you find you've made a mistake and it looks like lots of work to fix, check with the forum. It's likely many others have made the same mistake and there's often a quicker/easier fix than you think. Would have saved me many, many hours of work.

BTW - my wife's parents had a place in Pittsburgh, MO for a number of years. We'd come over to Springfield sometimes when we visited. Nice country!
    Thanks for the encouragement. It did feel good to have it all back together and then to install the power steering rack. It's looking like this might actually come together.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are no “mistakes” when building these cars, only lessons learned. There will be several times when you will put something together and then take it back apart. It’s part of the process so no worries.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have room in my garage to store my motor while I'm preparing my project for the installation of the motor. I've installed the radiator and finished the pedal box. I've also temporarily installed the foot boxes. What else should I do before I have my motor shipped and installed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Pre-Engine/Trans installation...
    I'm somewhat in the same boat - after years in the trenches as a field service tech, swearing out loud at "Whoever designed this thing needs a punch in the nuts" ('cause they never had to fix it in the field, only on CAD/drafting table) - I'm trying to think way ahead about serviceability, and ease of access for installation.

Couple of things come to mind (some are options):
    - Heater/Defroster. Get it jigged up, holes cut, and trial fitted.
    - Wipers. (Wiper Motor) Needs to be done after the heater.
    - E Brake lever & cables. Much easier to fit-up and get working without the transmission in the way.
    - Front Battery Box.

Page ahead in the assembly manual. Look at upcoming steps and photos where the job would be a whole lot easier without a 700lb lump of iron in the way.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about the 3 Brake.

Post Thanks / Like
    nC0sKI4%RGGXzhM7DmlBQg.jpg
    It's off the jack stands for the first time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again for the input. I'm not sure that I want power brakes at this point. I also did not choose the Wildwood option.
    John,

I drove my car 500 miles before painting. This allowed me to evaluate several things I was concerned about, brakes being one. I removed the body to paint, and added power brakes at that time. My car had too much go and not enough stop. LOL

Edited:
    I used the Ford front brakes supplied with the complete kit and purchased the equivalent rear. Added the vacuum power. You can purchase the vacuum booster and master cylinder separately, but still need the modified (steel) brake pedal and frame rail that goes around the vacuum booster. I made mine, but I have access to a machine shop. Whitby power brake kit. I also had to add a spacer plate under the vacuum booster. Purchased it fro about $30.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 09-16-2018 at 02:48 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info on the power brakes. I did not even thing about the kit not having power brakes. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been working on my MK4 for 6 months, and I have made some progress--suspension, brake lines, fuel lines most of the aluminum cockpit forward, and some of the wiring. Now I'm going to have to take some time off. The doctors found some blockage around my heart and I will have surgery on Halloween. Hopefully I can be back to work on the car around Christmas or New Years. I may not be able to lift much; but I can still log on to the forum, and study the manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been working on my MK4 for 6 months, and I have made some progress--suspension, brake lines, fuel lines most of the aluminum cockpit forward, and some of the wiring. Now I'm going to have to take some time off. The doctors found some blockage around my heart and I will have surgery on Halloween. Hopefully I can be back to work on the car around Christmas or New Years. I may not be able to lift much; but I can still log on to the forum, and study the manual.
    John,

That's a tough one, but stay positive and everything will come together when the time is right. First priority is to get yourself well. The car will still be there when you are ready to get back at it.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

24. Thanks John T thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that John,

Just know that you have an incredible amount of positive thoughts and prayers from your big extended family out here!
    With all the positive energy heading your way I’m sure you’ll be back up and around in no time.
    Please let us know how your doing.

Take care of yourself John!!!

Kurt
    If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough....

Build thread

MKIV complete kit # 9395 delivered 7/31/18

26. Thanks John T thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    John, really sorry to hear this. Focus on your health and we'll all be sending good thoughts your way!

28. Thanks John T thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck tomorrow John! I’m sure you’ll be back to your build in no time!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Gang,

We need to be praying for John today.
    He's getting some work done on his heart.
    Please keep he & his family in your thoughts & prayers.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 10-31-2018 at 05:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anybody heard any news?

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SSNK4US View Post
    Has anybody heard any news?
    Bumping Thread!

34. Thanks SSNK4US thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm out of the hospital. According to Drs and Staff I did fine. I don't have any thing to compare it to. Anyway I am improving. They ended up doing two bypasses and a couple of other things that could help with the AFib. However, it looks like I'll have a 12 week lay off from the build.

Thanks for you concerns. I so appreciate the response here on the forum.
    Thanks again John T.

36. Thanks BadAsp427 thanked for this post
    Likes BadAsp427 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Excellent News & Don't Do Anything Stupid!

Rest, Recuperate, Rest, Recuperate, Repeat, Repeat, Repeat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear your back John!!!! Thanks for the update and letting us know how your doing.
    Glad your doing good! Now you can relax and just exercise your brain reading the forum.
    If you feel like a little humor and drama make sure you read about pressure checking your lines

Welcome back John.... seriously

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while since my last post to this thread. So, here is an update. I just met with the surgeon for my follow-up. He said I am doing fine. However, I have had trouble breathing and I was not able to do the rehab that I should. The surgeon said he was sure that it was fluid build up. He was right. He drew 3 liters of fluid from my chest. He said that was a record for him. So, I think that soon I will be able to return to rehab, and hopefully to my car. Thanks agin for your concern and interest.

John T.

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    those are records you don't want to set. Good luck with rehab and getting back to your car, just remember the car can wait until you're back up to speed.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John, I’m glad your surgeon said your doing fine! 3 liters of fluid??? Damn!!!! Take it easy man and do what the drs say.
    Your car will always be patiently waiting for you when your ready to start wrenching again, which will probably be long before I catch up to you LOL

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow; Dat's A Lotta Liter's John T!

Hang In There & Take It Easy, Easy, Easy!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been over two months since surgery, and I am beginning to think about getting back to work on my MKIV. I had started the dash and gauges just before the surgery. I plan to finish that and then have Mike Forte send my motor. It's pretty cold in my garage, but I'm excited to get back to work.

Several of you have expressed concern and I appreciate it. It's nice to know that so many people are wishing me well. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really glad to hear your doing better John!
    Baby steps.....

Kurt

Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Double Ditto On The Baby Steps!
    The car certainly can wait.
    Trust me on that.
    Good Luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast