Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hood hydraulic piston location

Post Thanks / Like

Hood hydraulic piston location

Did anyone find that when you popped the hood that the back of the hood came too far forward? The book says re drill piston location but Is not very clear.

Manual says “Check to make sure that the hood does not fall off the body at the back of the hood. If necessary, unbolt the lower gas strut mount, position the hood how you would like noting the lower gas strut mount position then drill and remount the gas strut mount in this location.”

Any thoughts? Pics would be great!

Thanks.
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I disconnected the bottom of the lift struts, opened the hood to the position I wanted and marked where the lower holes needed to be drilled. I don't remember off the top of my head but somewhere around 5/8" lower maybe?
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Should have listened to CVOBill and kept it to 5/8"... but I figured if lower is good then lowest is better, so I pick a spot at the bottom of the bracket where the strut is fully extended when the hood is half way on the firewall shelf.

Worked perfect until I tried opening the hood... now the front striker hits the grill.

I guess I try again at a mid point and pray. AAAARRRRGGGH!
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick,
    That's a funny story....how do you think I figured out where to drill the holes? Because I did the same thing you did the first time. LOL
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL
    Well maybe tomorrow. Truth be known the mid way point worked, the hood stays on the shelf just barely and the striker just clears the grill... so I really can't complain.

Did the hood pins into the firewall. Book says 3/4 hole (too tight), 7/8 just a bit loose, but OK. Not a fan of how you have to aim the hood into the holes to close it, even after sharpening the pins... just seems a little sloppy, but i will tighten everything up and should be OK. One thing is, when its closed, it all lines up pretty good!

That's it for today! Thanks CVOBill (BTW does your handle CVOBill got something to do with a Harley you might have?)
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick,

I just ran across this post. Yes CVOBill is because of my 2012 CVO Ultra I have, I haven't been able to ride much the last three years but it has 78,000 miles on it. Its a great bike and has been in 15 states and around two of the Great Lakes.
    tail of the dragon 2 - Copy.jpg
    CVOBill