Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Painter Wants the Body On For Paint

Post Thanks / Like

Painter Wants the Body On For Paint

I talked with my painter and he wants the body on the car for paint. I know there are opinions either way on this, but what I really want to know is how much of the interior should I complete before putting the body on for the "last" time and getting the car to the painter? It seems I should get the carpet in at a minimum. I plan to assemble the car (lights, wipers, windshield, etc.) and then take it all back apart, but are there any suggestions or advice from those that have had their cars painted with the body on?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 02-19-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure everything is installed and fit, then remove the items touching anything he will paint. it will be much better as you wont scratch the body trying to reinstall it. as far as trunk and interior... he will tape off what he needs to. My painter likes painting everything off concerning body panels. Jamming and painting leads to hard lines and such. I plan to get mine running and driving and complete my entire interior before disassembling for paint, but I'm going to paint the entire underside black single stage before I do ANYTHING to make painting easier down the road. Plus it will look clean, and it's durable. To each their own...
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had them painted both ways. Both off and on. For your specific question, I would not carpet before in either case. For painting body off, it's pretty much a no-brainer. Body work on the chassis with no carpet, body off for paint and chassis carpet, then finished body back on the finished chassis. If painting body on and waiting until after for the carpet, yes it's a little more work, but there's less chance of damage to the carpet. What I found is that the usual dust, etc. isn't that hard to clean up. It's the liquid and general sludge from color sanding that really makes a mess. Even with great care, it will seep into every body opening, around all the edges, etc. It stains and makes a mess. One small compromise you can make is to put the carpet on the outer and end footbox walls before the body is on and painted. Those are the hardest ones to reach with the body on. The rest really isn't that bad. The trunk is another subject if you're planning to put carpet there. Not too fun to carpet the trunk with the body on. But I would wait for the same reasons as already described.

Just a general comment about body on/body off. By far the most common is body off. The painter I've used has done a bunch both ways. For them it's kind of a mixed discussion. They feel like the body alignment is more consistent when not removed and put back on. Plus keeping the body on the chassis is kind of a built-in body buck and (according to the painter) more solid and easier to work on. But the trade off is major effort masking everything, including the bottom, to keep things clean. And to really do it right, the masking needs to be removed and replaced a couple of times during the process to keep things clean as it gets to the final color and clear. When I picked up #8674, painted body on, the painter said probably he would be going back to body off. He wasn't sure the extra work was worth it, and I tend to agree. I've not had an issue with the body getting back on in proper alignment.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-19-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    And there you have it.
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys. My painter's biggest concern is panel fit on the completed car. My biggest concern is keeping the cleanup to something manageable after the car is painted. I may be able to talk him into getting everything fit and then removing the body for paint.

Thanks,
    Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was painted body off but he wanted it on the car for a lot of the sanding and polishing because it firms it up so much better for the work. I had a lot of interior work finished so I made sure to supply a big piece of visqueen to put over the chassis before he reinstalled the body. Kept it pretty clean but you just can't keep all the dust and mess from wet sanding out. I found the armor all cleaning wipes to work very well on the wet sanding residue.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we all know where I stand...... I'll just say, If he's more comfortable with it on, do it on. Don't do your carpet and take your seats out.....See, the thing is. If the panels fit before you take them off,,,,they'll fit when you put them back on. It's a lot of extra work masking and chancing a breech then it is to do them off the chassis. When I get a brand that you "can't" take off the chassis it's a grand more just for the hassle of masking and clean-up....but that's me...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    My painter did the stripes first with the body one so they would line up. Then took the body off for the main body. Body on included body, hood, and trunk lid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Miller beat me to it but we agree.
    I always do them body off. If you can adjust to fit prior to paint you can adjust to fit the same way after paint. Same applies to stripes.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    Well, we all know where I stand...... I'll just say, If he's more comfortable with it on, do it on. Don't do your carpet and take your seats out.....See, the thing is. If the panels fit before you take them off,,,,they'll fit when you put them back on. It's a lot of extra work masking and chancing a breech then it is to do them off the chassis. When I get a brand that you "can't" take off the chassis it's a grand more just for the hassle of masking and clean-up....but that's me...da Bat
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Miller beat me to it but we agree.
    I always do them body off. If you can adjust to fit prior to paint you can adjust to fit the same way after paint. Same applies to stripes.

Jeff
    Thanks for the expert advice. I'll discuss it with my painter. Optimally, it would be great if I could get him to do the fitting with the body on the car and then swap my buck for my chassis so I could complete the interior while the car is being painted.
    Last edited by Papa; 02-19-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey PAPA, I would be happy to have a convo with your painter if he would like. Don't worry. I'm much nicer on the phone then I am with you guys. Jeff Miller 951-676-0191. Might be able to save him a little headache and time.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what its worth Whitby Motor cars does it this way.

They have FFR chassis jigs they use. The plan is you get the body to them & they do their thing while you build the chassis. They can marry them or you can bring the painted body home & DIY.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    If your painter would prefer the body on the car, that is how I would do it. My painter had done a friends on the buck. My car had been on the road for 4 yrs and I wasn't interested in all the work needed to remove the body. His comment was, fine w/ me, I can't remove a body from a Miata or a Corvette.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, we all know where I stand.......da Bat
    Yep. And it came out great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey PAPA, I would be happy to have a convo with your painter if he would like. Don't worry. I'm much nicer on the phone then I am with you guys. Jeff Miller 951-676-0191. Might be able to save him a little headache and time.
    Jeff,

Thanks for the very generous offer. This kind of help is what makes this forum different from any other I've been a part of. I'll let my painter know he can contact you directly.

Thank you very much,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    We go the painter in the roller stage with the windscreen and enough aluminum so he can fit the body . He fits everything, then we get the chassis back. He Cleckos the door hinges assembles the hood hinge etc. keeps all of those pieces and then paints the car off of the chassis. He has his own buck with lots of mods to make it much more stable, rear supports, cockpit supports, nose supports etc. and does everything before assembly. No offense batman, but body shops are just filthy nasty dusty places. My opinion is paint it off.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    " No offense batman, but body shops are just filthy nasty dusty places. My opinion is paint it off.[/QUOTE]"

Why ya gotta go all personal ! Filthy ,nasty is how I identify myself.....THAT'S WHY THERE ARE SO MANY FITHY NASTY RESTROOMS ! I'm HILARIOUS !!! but I digress....I paint all of mine off...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all,

Wondering is anybody knows of an experience cobra painter in the New England area ?

Mark
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Jeff,

Thanks for the very generous offer. This kind of help is what makes this forum different from any other I've been a part of. I'll let my painter know he can contact you directly.

Thank you very much,
    Dave
    Jeff was a great help when I was getting my car painted (and we are on the opposite coasts of North America). Jeff's guidance for my painter was greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlewis View Post
    Hey all,

Wondering is anybody knows of an experience cobra painter in the New England area ?

Mark
    My 289 is currently at Mike's Auto Restoration in Dudley MA. They also painted the red Gen III coupe and the 35 pickup for FFR.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent.

Thanks for the lead.

Based on this thread, does he prefer to work with the body on or body off?

Thanks again,

Mark
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    They took the whole car and have done some work on the chassis, but did priming off. There are a couple pics on my build thread. Paint will be off the body. Then they will put it back on.

Peter is the contact over there, great to work with.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks!!

I check out his Facebook page. Good stuff.

Will definitely give him a call when I get ready for paint.