FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Solid rear

Post Thanks / Like

Solid rear

REAR1.jpgREAR2.jpgREAR3.jpgREAR4.jpgI'm new to building the '33 - can any one send good pix what the two brackets mounted to the solid axle should look like. I hope my images you can tell if I did it correctly (bolts aren't tightened yet). Also they say to use the long bolt - I actually have two long sizes - one seems too short as the bolt doesn't go through the lock nut and the other is too big. I can simple get one that fits but was wondering maybe I just have the brackets in the wrong place. The manual's pix are no help. How tight to tighten the large bolt since it will deflect the bracket?

Thanks

Walter

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure I understand the deflection part of your question - there are shocks or control arms in every gap that you are bolting. All come with washers/spacers - in some places I had to add some extra washers to make a tight fit. You won't want any deflection of steel parts. I can post closeup photos of finished 3-link setup if that helps?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are mine

IMG_1707.jpgIMG_1818 copy.jpgIMG_1754.jpgIMG_1693.jpgIMG_1755.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wrp; 02-19-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did get a few images, but still slightly puzzled, so if no problem posting your images should definitely help.
    Thanks!

Walter

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope these help. Mine is on floor, so not easy to get what you need. I'd choose bolts based on the load going on shoulder, not a thread where possible. If you zoom in you'll see I added washers on both ends, and padded with washers where spacers weren't quite enough.

rearclose1.jpeg rearclose2.jpeg rearclose3.jpeg rearclose4.jpeg
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some photos of my 4 Link. It might be easier to see since the rear end and frame are blue and the brackets are black and silver.

Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017