BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR drive shaft limits

Post Thanks / Like

FFR drive shaft limits

As of now I have the FFR provided drive shaft in the car and a Metco safety loop on its way. For gokarting I figured the drive shaft was fine. Now I’m looking at a final solution. I measured it the other night and I can confirm it uses 1330 u joints. Not paying attention before I originally thaught they where 1310’s. The big red flag I see with it is that they are greaseable joins which is a big no in my book. Does any one have any expierence with these shafts with upgraded spicer joints running in the 650-700 hp range. Or should I just bite the bullet and go to a new shaft and yoke for 1350’s.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the torque you'd expect with that HP rating I'd suggest you go with 1350 solid u-joints. I was faced with the same decision on my build and ordered a custom aluminum driveshaft with 1350 solid u-joints. My ride is built to drag race and runs MT wrinkle wall drag slicks so going with the 1350's was a no brainer. Having experienced two driveshaft explosions I'm spring-loaded toward building a robust driveshaft as a catastrophic failure at speed is not something I want to experience again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks NAZ, I don’t plan on drag racing the car as I’m defiantly a road race guy thru and thru. And besides the normal street cruising I plan on tracking the car as much if not more. I have heard it many ways, and I totally agree that for drag racing it’s a no question due to the shock loading. I’m leaning toward getting one made with the 1350’s but am curious to see others expierence.