Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Car crash in CA

Post Thanks / Like

Car crash in CA

I did not see this posted yet.

https://www.ranchomurieta.com/storie...me-–-backwards

If it was, sorry for the duplication.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch. That sucks. Definitely a Factory Five.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Very strange. Perhaps in a panic his foot got caught on the pedals? Or the throttle got stuck. Regardless that sucks.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Worst nightmare.

I wonder if this was an automatic transmission. I can completely see how the first incident into the garage wall could happen but I don't understand the reverse into the neighbors house. Perhaps with an automatic and a stuck accelerator pedal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post

I wonder if this was an automatic transmission...
    My first thought also. I can see a scenario where there was not a functional neutral start switch---guy working on the car starts it in drive---it moves forward---he reaches in and attempts to put it in park but only makes it to reverse.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep-- I almost put a pickup into shop wall. Auto and working on wiring, dam thing started and went about ten feet before stopped!

Post Thanks / Like
    The update below the article mentions, " The owner and driver put the car into reverse." so you might conclude someone was actually driving?
    Maybe he just panic'd, after it drove into the wall?, Stuck it in reverse, went to hit the brake, and hit the gas instead. The G force kept his foot pressed on the gas, as it accelerated.
    Last edited by AC Bill; 02-20-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had something similar happen, clutch switch was not installed in wire dieted harness, started car right into my work bench! Scary crap. I should have known better

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think the thing to note here is that the person may be a member or lurker and if he decides to step forward and share his experience with the group he will not be made fun of or attacked. We've all been there one way or the other and there is probably something we could all learn from this experience.

I'm just glad he wasn't hurt!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like a MK-4 by the size of the roll bar.

NOTE: And I thought I had troubles with my engine issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    It brings up the question in my mind as to how infallible are these clutch safety switches? Do forum member routinely check them? Seems like it would be easy to knock the connection loose in that tiny foot box space...
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    No joke about the owner being a possible forum member. Won't get anything but sympathy from me. It could happen to the safest of us with just a small bit of inattention or bad luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was having trouble accounting for the busted headlights and front bodywork until I read the update. What comes to mind for the front end kiss was perhaps the owner was adjusting the motor with the engine running, car in gear, parking brake applied.
    Brake doesn't hold and away she goes. Too bad no matter how it happened.

Frank
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that's awful. From the article it sounds as if the car traveled in reverse without a driver.

Nevermind, just read the update in the article. damaging both yours and your neighbors house AND your beloved project car must be an awful thing to go through.
    Last edited by shark92651; 03-06-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah that would really be a bad day.....hopefully nobody got hurt....everything else is just dollars

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm, lets think about this scenario for just a minute . . . car "lunged" forward. Like was mentioned above, 99.9% an automatic in neutral and somehow got "bumped" into drive - car lunges forward. Now, in a panic, owner leans in and tries for neutral but makes it all the way to reverse, maybe trying for "Park" ?? . . . definitely NOT a stick shift car, that involves pushing in a clutch pedal (read: someone in the car). Car lunges in reverse out the driveway. IF anyone was in the car, brakes would have been applied (I would hope). All-in-all, a bad situation and lucky no one got dragged out of the garage when the car was in reverse - I can relate to that scene completely as it happened to my dad back in the 60's.
    Thankfully, no one in either the car or the house got hurt.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.