Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil sending unit location

Post Thanks / Like

Oil sending unit location

Are there any alternatives to mounting the oil pressure sending unit? I feel like something is going to cook with it being this close to the exhaust. Thanks.
    ops.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Your only other option is remote plumbing + put it wherever you want it.

The port you are in and the oil filter are the only (practical) places to get to oil pressure on that motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the diameter of the sending unit too big to go straight into the block? It's hard to tell in the picture but I'm guessing that you have a straight section coming from the block to the elbow. Maybe the straight section could be shorter? Either way it seem that you should angle down towards the oil pan instead of up.

Post Thanks / Like
    The purpose made extension for these engines puts it at a decent distance and angle. Maybe check that instead of the pipe fittings you're using. Lots of sources. This just happens to one of them. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c2oz-9b339-c
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about a 90 deg elbow instead of the 45(?) deg you have now?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are using Speedhut gauges they sell a very compact sending unit. This is what I have. Not sure if they have to reconfigure your gauge though.

https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/p...on-and-Legacy)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are using Speedhut gauges they sell a very compact sending unit. This is what I have. Not sure if they have to reconfigure your gauge though.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the short angle from Breeze. It put the sensor in perfect spot to miss the headers, oil filter adaptive and the 10 other things trying to occupy that space....

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted the sender to the bottom of the front cross brace, and connected it to the block with some -4 braided hose. That protected the sender unit from heat and vibration. Keep the sender below the port so the lines don't drain out when the engine is off.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience with the Speedhut senders is that they are not long lived when mounted directly to the block so similar to what Bob suggested I have remote mounted them to the F panel and run a section of -4 hose.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cwrandolph View Post
    Is the diameter of the sending unit too big to go straight into the block? It's hard to tell in the picture but I'm guessing that you have a straight section coming from the block to the elbow. Maybe the straight section could be shorter? Either way it seem that you should angle down towards the oil pan instead of up.
    Yes, the diameter of the sending unit is to large to mount at the block.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    The purpose made extension for these engines puts it at a decent distance and angle. Maybe check that instead of the pipe fittings you're using. Lots of sources. This just happens to one of them. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c2oz-9b339-c
    Thanks, but I have one of these fittings and it is 4" long, the sending unit was almost touching the header using it. I was able to reduce the length to 3.5" with the pipe fittings, but as you can see it's still to close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post

Not sure if that will work, but it's an option I can look into. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danielt View Post
    I used the short angle from Breeze. It put the sensor in perfect spot to miss the headers, oil filter adaptive and the 10 other things trying to occupy that space....
    That may work. Is your sending unit the same as mine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    My experience with the Speedhut senders is that they are not long lived when mounted directly to the block so similar to what Bob suggested I have remote mounted them to the F panel and run a section of -4 hose.

Jeff
    Is the hose something I would need to have special made or something I can order from Summit or somewhere? I was also thinking of making some kind of a heat shield, but it sounds like from your experience, vibration makes them fail. Sometimes I feel like if was for all these little things, my car would have been done months ago. Lol. frustrating sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used standard -4 fittings and hoses from summit racing.

I made this bracket out of some angle iron, a piece of exhaust tubing, and some rubber drawer liner. All stuff I had lying around the garage.

I bolted it to the bottom of the front X brace. And attadhed the sender SS hose clamp. The rubber drawer liner protects it from chassis vibrations. Probably not needed in a street car, but couldn't hurt.

And it's all connected with a short piece of -4 stainless braided hose I bought from Summit racing. All simple off the shelf parts. The hole in the block and the end of the sender are NPT. SO you'll need an NPT to AN fitting for the block. And then NPT hose end or a AN to NPT adapter at the sensor end. Standard stuff, nothing special.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the great replies. I guess I'll wait until the motor is installed and then remote mount the sending unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KegMechanic View Post
    Is the hose something I would need to have special made or something I can order from Summit or somewhere? I was also thinking of making some kind of a heat shield, but it sounds like from your experience, vibration makes them fail. Sometimes I feel like if was for all these little things, my car would have been done months ago. Lol. frustrating sometimes.
    You are not alone in your frustration experiences with your build. I too experienced them. Take a break once in awhile if need be. Then press on, the end will come sooner than you think. At the end you will feel a great sense of pride in what you accomplished.
    Last edited by Bobby Doug; 02-21-2018 at 08:51 PM.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up a 45° fitting (thanks for the idea Danielt) from the local hardware store. The sender is now mounted close to block and has good clearance to the header. I figure I can always relocate it later if I have any problems.

ops2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
    You are not alone in your frustration experiences with your build. I too experienced them. Take a break once in awhile if need be. Then press on, the end will come sooner than you think. At the end you will feel a great sense of pride in what you accomplished.
    Thanks. I am enjoying the build, just gets a little frustrating sometimes. My wife and daughter helped me get the motor in this weekend. We had a lot of fun and got some good pictures. I'm sure years from now we will have a lot of good memories from this project.

I was a car mechanic for many years. I guess, I took for granted how easy it was to get the right parts and how well things fit together. I'm building a base kit non-donor build and I definitely have more time on the computer than on the car. I keep telling my wife the next one will be a lot easier. That always gets me a dirty look. LOL

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered modifying an oil cooler sandwich adapter?
    Though my engine is Dart/Chevy the adapter, once drilled to open things up, has two ports which work well for a sending unit or two.
    The one shown below is for a Ford, but it's the exact adapter plate that I used for mine with a different center thread insert and yes it works fine on mine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cvs-ocs64/overview/
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-01-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Have you considered modifying an oil cooler sandwich adapter?
    Though my engine is Dart/Chevy the adapter, once drilled to open things up, has two ports which work well for a sending unit or two.
    The one shown below is for a Ford, but it's the exact adapter plate that I used for mine with a different center thread insert and yes it works fine on mine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cvs-ocs64/overview/
    That's a good idea. I am using the remote oil filter which has extra ports in it. I could install the sending unit in the filter end, mounted on the front x member. then it would be mounted away from everything and I would only have to buy a pipe fitting adapter. Thanks! So simple and I never thought of it.