BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Truck Rear Axle Assemblies S197 (not Fox)

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Truck Rear Axle Assemblies S197 (not Fox)

We are still working on organizing the required parts information for the trucks, but since I have seen people starting to gather parts I just wanted to post an important difference between the pickup and the 33. The rear suspension on the pickup will use the S197 Mustang rear axle as opposed to the Fox or SN95 style, so specifically it will need a 2005-2014 axle instead of the 1986-2004 unit. The reason for the change is both width and upper link fitment, the S197 axle is the correct width to fit a standard Mustang backspace wheel in the back and also gives better caliper clearance on the bed sides. The other advantage is the 3rd link is built into the newer housings which allows the fuel tank more clearance to fit under the bed and behind the axle. We will also still offer these units new custom built from Moser as an option similar to how we do now for the other models, those will continue to use our existing Fox and SN95 style brake packages as well.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    We are still working on organizing the required parts information for the trucks, but since I have seen people starting to gather parts I just wanted to post an important difference between the pickup and the 33. The rear suspension on the pickup will use the S197 Mustang rear axle as opposed to the Fox or SN95 style, so specifically it will need a 2005-2014 axle instead of the 1986-2004 unit. The reason for the change is both width and upper link fitment, the S197 axle is the correct width to fit a standard Mustang backspace wheel in the back and also gives better caliper clearance on the bed sides. The other advantage is the 3rd link is built into the newer housings which allows the fuel tank more clearance to fit under the bed and behind the axle. We will also still offer these units new custom built from Moser as an option similar to how we do now for the other models, those will continue to use our existing Fox and SN95 style brake packages as well.
    Jim
    Can you drop in a picture or two showing the S197 housing difference in the 3rd link mount ?
    And tell us what the overall width of that housing is as compared to the SN95
    Thanks
    Dale Berry

Post Thanks / Like
    The dimension from axle hub face to axle hub face is 66" give or take an 1/8" or so. I just happen to be using this axle on my Maverick project and sourced it just for the 3rd link mount already cast into the top of the assembly. I found this one on Craigslist for $150

rearend by i.e.427, on Flickr

rearend2 by i.e.427, on Flickr
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    I have it written down exactly at work but I agree with Frank, just a little bit wider than 66 inches, that's including the rotor thickness.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    I have it written down exactly at work but I agree with Frank, just a little bit wider than 66 inches, that's including the rotor thickness.
    jim
    That center mounted ear looks like it would allow a much longer torque arm to run up into the trans tunnel area.
    Is that where you are going with this design ?
    Dale
    Hemi33

Post Thanks / Like
    Dale,

The wheelbase being 7 inches longer is what allows us to use the center mounted ear and still maintain a good upper arm length. The front mount of the more centered arm is still mounted to the same cross member of the chassis as it is in the 33, but it is a different arm due to the attachment point on the axle being a bushing (or spherical replacement). My preference is for a 3 link over a torque arm geometry wise, and also the packaging is much easier since interior space is at a premium and I don't want to make the tunnel area any bigger than we have to.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, to clarify in my mind, when we order the complete '35 kit with the rear axle and non-Wilwood brake option from you, we will be getting the new configuration we need?
    That is what I have done, and just want the assurance that I am good to go?
    Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Ralph,

That is correct, if you add the option of the rear axle onto a truck order you would get the Moser axle setup in the correct width and bracketry for the truck and those are setup to work with our standard brake kits.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Which suspension set up (3 or 4 link) do you need to order to make the S197 rear end a bolt in application?

Post Thanks / Like
    The truck is available in only that one configuration, the website order form is still a carryover from the 33 but all kits will be configured for the S197 and that is included in the base price. If you are using the online order form, select the base suspension and it will calculate the correct price. If you have already submitted an order with the three link option then that cost will be removed by the guys in the office.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, what is the gear ratio on the axles supplied with the complete kit option?
    My tranny guy is asking to spec. speedo gear on my ordered AOD.

Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding my question above, just got a reply from Dan Golub indicating that the rear end is not yet available, so its specs are not yet available as well. he states the info should be available within the next few weeks, or so.

So, for those interested, there you have it.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan or Jim: any word on rear axle ratios yet?
    Thanks, Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, as I’m sure you are aware the flange (pictured above) on the s197 8.8 differential is different than the older flat style flanges. Is the driveshaft in the kit configured to work with the newer style flange or is it required to swap out the flange to the older style.
    2008 FFR 5851 Copperhead Orange with ghost stripes by “the Bat”, Ford Racing 345 HP, Tremec 5 Speed
    2012 FFR 33 HR, won Best Use of Chrome Huntington Beach 2014; 345 HP AOD
    Deep Impact Blue
    2018 FFR 35 Pick Up, building, getting there.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is an adapter and bolts that come with the kit to make the supplied FFR driveshaft work with the S197 differential.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Rear axle ratios on the Moser axles we sell will be 3.55, those axles and the later year axles for the donors all have the same flange that fits with the adapter provided with the kit. The early model years of the OEM rear axles do have a different flange so if you find one of those you will need to swap the flange to the later one. The 2011 and later cars are the ones with the correct flange. 2005-2010 are the ones that need to be swapped.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim and FFinisher for clearing this up.
    2008 FFR 5851 Copperhead Orange with ghost stripes by “the Bat”, Ford Racing 345 HP, Tremec 5 Speed
    Deep Impact Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    My Moser axle arrived yesterday for my pickup. Unfortunately, it was not the newer 3 link axle. So, check your crate when it arrives to be sure you have the correct one.
    Jay at FFR has been right on it, and says there was a mixup on the Moser shipping dock. Someone else has mine and I have theirs. They will arrange swap.

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    To confirm, the correct one is with the centered 3rd link tab on the top of the pumpkin? Bummer about getting the wrong one but sounds like you're being taken care of.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is my understanding, the correct one is the one with a single 3 link attachment point centered on the top of the pumpkin. The one sent me has the two attachment points down on either side of the pumpkin.
    Since I probably will not see the truck for another month, the axle is not a problem.
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have a photo showing which brackets to keep and which can be removed! Also, is the dust shield really necessary?
    Thanks, working on cleaning up a 2007 Mustang axle assembly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my Moser axle for #10 (due here in Florida 6/18)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zEYGuR7dBbe2H9Yv9

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a picture from FFRD28D1ADB-2517-4B54-954F-78A52C2C42F2.jpg looks like the original shock mount brackets go
    Deep Impact Blue

24. Thanks Cobra Ray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marv,
    Thanks for the pic. Have a lot of cleaning up to do on the donor axle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could someone please tell me if the later (2005-14) rear end must be from a V8 car only or will any Mustang rear from this era work? I unfortunately have the 8.8 from a 2004 Cobra that I parted it out for the rest of my build. Didn't realize the truck needed the wider axle.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ztoolman44 View Post
    Could someone please tell me if the later (2005-14) rear end must be from a V8 car only or will any Mustang rear from this era work? I unfortunately have the 8.8 from a 2004 Cobra that I parted it out for the rest of my build. Didn't realize the truck needed the wider axle.

Thanks
    Let me answer my own question. Looking for an S197 8.8" 31 spline

2005-2010 V8 Factory ratios - Automatic 3.31 Manual 3.55

2011-2014 V8/V6 Factory ratios - Automatic 2.73 Manual 3.15 Boss/Track Pack 3.73

Hope someone finds this helpful.