BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818C interior pics

Post Thanks / Like

818C interior pics

Hello all. I am looking at buying an 818c in the next couple of months. I have already started purchasing parts as I don't plan to use a donor. I will be using a Honda K series with the Subaru transmission. I am looking for pictures of the 818c interior particularly the headliner (if it comes with one) and some general overall shots. I have done a lot of reading here on the forum and searched a lot of google images but don't see much on the C model for interior. FF has basically nothing on the website for the C interior. I saw a picture of AZpete's interior and I liked the stitching on the dash but I cannot find the picture again. Also I am in San Diego if anybody has the time to let me check out there 818 C or S I would love to see it!

Thank you
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Ax Pete has done a beautiful job of making his 818 look oem. The interior is almost completely up to you. There is a headliner for the roof, but many have had trouble affixing it permanently to the top.
    Personally, I have opted for a more racy look.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that interior pictures of the 818C are hard to find. A lot of build threads seem to peter out before the interior is "done"

AZPete did a fantastic job with his interior - pictures are in svanlare's thread when he visited with AZPete:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...light=svanlare

It starts at #247

Cheers

Dave

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    There isn't really an "interior." It's just some aluminum panels that help keep most of the dirt and water out.
    IMG_20160830_181850368_HDR.jpg
    That's as supplied with the donor seats. If there's one thing I really botched in my build it was being too impatient and cheap to wrap the interior panels. I had planned to keep it mostly "racecar" but regretted that decision and have been going back and wrapping them with matte black vinyl as I get bored.

FFR sells a carpet kit too but I have my doubts that it would fit all that well and if you buy the bulk carpet it's going to be constantly filthy in an "S" so I went with something easy to wipe down.

Having sat in the FFR coupe I can attest that it's done the same as most builds. Black carpet on black vinyl on black anodized parts. Combined with the roof that blocks out light it hides imperfections well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree, there is not much "direction" given to the interior or any finish work for that matter. I have asked a lot of questions here on the forums to get ideas. Most builders try to keep it light and Spartan...I feel I am sinning somehow by adding insulation, A/C, stereo and sound deadening material to the cockpit thus adding weight.

Here is my work in progress. I am going to have re-wrap the console, pulling it in and out a million times as I fit it created bubbles and scratches. I haven't added the dash yet. I kept the console within the limits of FF specs. I have seen a lot of builds rework the whole thing by adding cup holders, armrests, etc...

The underside of the rear hatch is raw. Did a lot of sanding, filling, priming, and other prep work to get it to how I wanted it to look. The interior "dome" is covered by a headliner material affixed to an aluminum plate. I haven't gotten there yet but I added insulation (in the pic) to where that would be. I will be affixing an LED dome light to the rear hatch and interior.

IMG_3548.JPGint1.jpgint2.jpgtop1.jpgtop2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the responses, links and pictures. I do not plan to add too many bells and whistles to the interior but I want the carpet to cover all of the floor aluminum pieces, some sound deadening and a simple stereo. I will be using after market gauges in place of the subaru cluster. I would also like to wrap the dash similar to AZPete with stitching but no glove box. Does anyone here have the padded dash and door panels from FF? I would purchase them instead of wrapping the dash myself if they look decent. I did the interior on my 510 using bulk carpet and good vinyl from a local automotive upholstery supplier and it was a lot of work but it is quiet and everything fits very tight. Basically I would like to keep the interior as simple as an old 911 (late 80s early 90s era).

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the nice comments about my 818C interior. My goal was to make it look OE and also to learn something about interior finishing since I had never done anything more than the basic black interior of my FFR roadster. A similar basic black comes with the 818. These seats are donor reupholstered in leather and most of the rest is in matching vinyl. Some guys have guessed my 818 coupe is a production car and I've certainly learned a lot, though I admit that I used enough material to upholster a school bus. And, as many hours.

I'm proud of the upper console because it was created by old-school CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) using aluminum panels covered with foam padding and vinyl. The black portions are 1/8" aluminum born from a hack saw, hand files and a rattle can.

After trying several times, I could not get the material to shape around the gauge pod so I had a professional upholstery shop do this stitching.

Just to be different, I made my own door panels with a pocket. I also added a glove box since there was space above the HVAC unit in the right side of the dash.

The headliner gave me lots of trouble. I tried upholstery cement, silicone sealant and 3M molding tape to hold the aluminum panel. The 3M tape lasted the longest, but after a summer of the extreme desert heat it came loose. I covered a piece of foamcore with foam and vinyl, applied it with upholstery cement and it's really solid. Foamcore, from an art store, is very light and also flexes to fit the compound curve of the ceiling.

Last edited by AZPete; 02-24-2018 at 12:47 AM. Reason: added photos
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pictures. I can only dream of doing as good a job.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great job!! Your work is very inspiring.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    As an in-between reference point, here's mine about 50% wrapped and with proper seats and steering wheel.
    IMG_20180224_164652.jpg
    Once the weather breaks I have a pair of collapsible marine cup-holders I plan to mount somewhere and a suction cup cell phone holder. If I get really crazy I might even finally mount my 12v aux power and FFR dash plaque, but we'll see...

Post Thanks / Like
    AZPete Impressive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete,

Impressive, every time I look at it.
    I cant tell from the pics - did you install defrost vents ? I see the selector switch, but cant see the vents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pete,

That looks great! Thank you for the more detailed pictures especially the head liner area. Gives me and I am sure many others ideas. Should start a thread in the interior section for everyone to show off their interior. From the R models bare bones all business to the other extreme which would be yours Pete. It would be great to see all of the different schemes people have come up with. There is probably more traffic here in the general section though.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    My interior is pretty basic (especially after Pete posted his!). I used the subaru center console cut to fit around the padded FFR dash. I can post up some pics this weekend but I'm also in San Diego if you'd like to see an 818S in person.

20171123_105809.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    NBinSD,

I may want to take you up on that! I will send you a PM. Post the pics up anyway. I would like to see them here. Pete's interior is the perfect example of how far you can take it!

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Without a doubt AZPete's is the most impressive hand's down. It has inspired us to consider a new interior.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some interior pics I just shot in the garage. My donor was an 03 but the console is from a newer WRX.

20180303_200033.jpg

20180303_195849.jpg

20180303_195837.jpg

20180303_195814.jpg

20180303_195805.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Innkeeper, defrost vents?? No way! I moved here from the tundra territory so I would never have to chip ice off my windshield. I have a heater, but only in case I have to drive when the temp drops down into the frigid 60's. (Brrr!) If you need defroster vents, then you could add them, of course. OTOH, if you need them, you should first consider moving.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Innkeeper, defrost vents?? No way! I moved here from the tundra territory so I would never have to chip ice off my windshield. if you need them, you should first consider moving.
    Pete,
    Retirement is a couple of summers away still. I added vents to my MKII after 10 years, got tired of wiping the windshield off (in and out) when I left work at night. Not worried about ice, just the dew that gathers.