FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IRS Center Section Vent

Post Thanks / Like

IRS Center Section Vent

Well, shucks.

I now have a buttoned up center section, and a buttoned up rear end suspension, and...

I realize that I've been going on the assumption that the vent in the pumpkin, which I got from salvage and rebuilt with new gears and diff, was in working order. I have absolutely no background or information that would tell me that's a good assumption, however. So once I realized that last night it got firmly on my worry list.

Here it is:

Is it likely okay as is? If not, can I replace it without (yikes) removing the pumpkin? How would I replace it?

Cheers,

-- John
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the barb is broken off. If the hole is clear, you are vented, good!, if you do purge some lube, it might not be contained by a vent line, bad. Most of the later model vent connectors are plastic, as yours looks, and you should be able to pry it out and replace. You might want to verify, that it is not threaded, by looking up a part number. Good luck,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ibele View Post

Is it likely okay as is? If not, can I replace it without (yikes) removing the pumpkin? How would I replace it?
    It won't be okay as is - it will weep gear oil every time you drive it.

The good news is it is a straight plastic piece (no threads) which should be relatively easy to remove + replace - pry it out with a pair of dikes.

Finding a replacement may be difficult - nothing shows up in a quick ebay search.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ibele View Post
    Well, shucks.

I now have a buttoned up center section, and a buttoned up rear end suspension, and...

I realize that I've been going on the assumption that the vent in the pumpkin, which I got from salvage and rebuilt with new gears and diff, was in working order. I have absolutely no background or information that would tell me that's a good assumption, however. So once I realized that last night it got firmly on my worry list.

Here it is:

Cheers,

-- John
    That vent is pressed in and you might be able to get it out without removing the pumpkin. Try an easy ou or screw extractor. You can buy a universal type with the same diameter or you can tap with 1/8" NPT and use a threaded one. I wouldn't run it in that condition.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the mustang vent from ford.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was broken off like that when I purchased my pumpkin as well. Mine is from a 98 Lincoln. I was able to order a new one and the old remnant came out pretty easily but I did it before installing the pumpkin. I suggest getting the new one before attempting to pull the old piece so that you know what it looks like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, gang. At least I know what I'm up against. I'll swing by NAPA and see what they have for a universal replacement if they can't find the actual Ford part #.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some folks have JB welded a short length of brake line in there with success.
    2010 FFR Mk4 - 306 EFI, T5Z mid-shift, IRS 3:31 Truetrac, 15" staggered wheels, manual steering & brakes and heated seats

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the part number for that piece is 2L1Z-4022-BA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JNC View Post
    Some folks have JB welded a short length of brake line in there with success.
    That' what I did. Be careful, because it's a straight shot unto the differential. You could easily drop a piece of 3/16" tubing right into the bottom of the pumpkin. Cut a 2" piece of tubing, and then connect a piece of vent hose to that with a hose clamp, covering up about 1" of the tubing. Coat the other end of the tubing with your favorite epoxy, and drop it into the hole. If you did it right, tomorrow it will be rock solid. Run the other end of your hose to your favorite vent.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuff View Post
    I believe the part number for that piece is 2L1Z-4022-BA
    No longer available from Ford, according to my local Ford dealer.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a simple plastic hose barbed splice. Ran a rubber hose to a hard mounted mini screen filter. The advantage of the filter (if vertical) is that it also acts as an oil separator and will drain any spew back into the pumpkin.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    That' what I did. Be careful, because it's a straight shot unto the differential. You could easily drop a piece of 3/16" tubing right into the bottom of the pumpkin. Cut a 2" piece of tubing, and then connect a piece of vent hose to that with a hose clamp, covering up about 1" of the tubing. Coat the other end of the tubing with your favorite epoxy, and drop it into the hole. If you did it right, tomorrow it will be rock solid. Run the other end of your hose to your favorite vent.

No longer available from Ford, according to my local Ford dealer.
    If you do a google search for that part number a lot of purchase options come up, such as https://www.silverstatefordparts.com...PWxheWVyXzg%3D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine looked exactly the same when I received it. I believe I used an ez out to remove the broken piece. It was already mounted, but accessible from above. I purchased the vent from the local Ford dealer. Had to be special ordered, but from what I remember it didn't take more than a couple of days. The part # that I have is E9SZ*4022*A. It was for a '91 T-Bird. Hope this helps.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post

The part # that I have is E9SZ*4022*A. It was for a '91 T-Bird. Hope this helps.

A quick google search shows that is exactly the part and they are currently available on ebay.

I never could find a good image on the other part number(s).

Image of part in Ford Packaging: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...erence.438495/

Ebay search: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...Z4022A&_sop=15
    Last edited by mike223; 02-23-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, everyone. Turns out Mike Forte had the part in stock and it shipped yesterday, so I should be set in terms of a replacement part.

For the broken off old part, I'll try an ez out or a screw since there are no threads on the plug. Or worst case epoxy a nail in the hole and pull it out that way. Yup, taking care not to get anything down the hole...

If it works, I get the old part out without taking the cover off, which I'll do if I need to. But, I can think of more fun things to do on the car

Speaking of which, got the dual reservoirs on order from Mike as long as I was on the phone with him, and picked up some JB Weld and some 5/8" square rod to do the frame mod for the clutch / pedal box, which is next on the list. Fun stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you were able to find the part you needed. FYI, 2L1Z-4022-BA is the metal vent tube fitting used on the newer 2015+ Mustang IRS center section. They're widely available. Just bought one a few weeks ago. But wouldn't have worked on your diff.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just confirming, Rick's advice was spot on ... 30 seconds with an EZ Out backed on the broken part, the remains of which look like this:

Ford Part E9SZ 4022 A

That's a good visible match to his part E9SZ 4022 A; lots of links online but this one has a good photo:

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...tube-e9sz4022a

Thanks, everyone!