Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oil Temp sensor, GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Temp sensor, GPS

Hell All. I have 2 questions - hoping to get some advice from this great forum.

Roadster complete kit 347 stroker engine with EFI.

My oil pain does not have an outlet for the oil temp sensor. Oil pressure fine as I bought the angled fitting from Breeze. I did use the FF oil relocation kit and I did see that some guys use that to mount the oil temp sensor.
    Has anyone done this and if so what parts did you use? I have seen everything from removing the oil pan and having a bung welded to replacing the drain plug with the sensor. I would rather not go that route if I can mount it to the relocation kit - nice and clean. Also,

I have the vintage guages from FF and want to use the GPS speedo. How is this mounted and connected?

Any help on the above would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil temp, you could use a weld on bung the right size. In lower side of pan.
    GPS, go to speedHut on net, all info is there.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can drill and tap the flat center of the filter relocator with a 1/8 npt tap and make sure there are no chips or burrs left when done. Or what I did was use a Earls adaptor (2077erl) connected to the front x member with 2 taped holes. This earls adaptor has the sensor ports already in it and is much higher quality. Also what ever you do I suggest not to use the hose clamp lines. Heck if you want I have the -10 AN line and all of the 1/2 npt to -10AN fittings that came with my oil cooler kit from FFR that you can have for the shipping cost. I used Earls stuff so I have no use for them and will save you $100-$150 for the lines. The FFR stainless braded oil cooler lines are ok and are much safer to use then hose clamps that come with the relocation kit.
    The gps speedo needs four things connected. First, the white / clear power connector on the gauge plugs into the connector on the main wiring harness (the wires are labeled). Second the other black connector connects to the transformer located in the gauge kit (little black box that has a connector harness, a dial on the end of 2 wires and 2 loose wires) this is used for gauge lighting and the dial is for dimming. The gps sensor in the kit is then connected and mounted under the dash. The gauge kit also has push button switch with a audio type jack on the other side that will plug into the gauge. This is used to toggle through the functions on the gauge such as 0-60, trip, etc. I mounted the dial and switch to the under dash support for easy use and to make them hidden. Also note some of the other gauges have this audio jack for programming. The good thing is that they come by default set up for the FFR sensors. So they will likely not be used.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 02-21-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    that Earls adaptor is a nice part - I wish I would have used it. Unfortunately, I have already mounted the relocation kit with a beautiful polished aluminum bracket to the x member. I am using the rubber lines that came with the FF kit and yes the clamps. They seem to be on there pretty good though - I was test fitting it and could not even remove the line when i had to adjust. Will the lines from your Oil kit fit the FF device if I wanted to use them instead of the rubber and clamps I have now?

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked the fittings to the FFR oil filter adapter and yes they fit. My concern was that with heat and pressure things can loosen up. Plus if one of these lines pop off and you don't catch fast you can be into a set of bearings or far worse. It's a personal choice but I'm much more comfortable with a proper AN line. If you want them let me know. Also if you know your hose length I can put them together as I have all the correct tools for doing it with out damaging them.

IMG_2745.JPG IMG_2744.JPG
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 02-21-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK you sold me, that makes a lot of sense and besides, those hoses and fittings look a lot cleaner than the ugly rubber ones. I will measure my lines and come back to for cutting as I do not have the tools. I will take that FF oil bracket also if your not using it. This is really nice of you to help me out. Will send you pics when done. Can I also pay something in addition to the shipping for your trouble??

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries I’ll throw in the oil cooler bracket. I’m not worried about making any money as these parts would otherwise sit on the shelf unused. I feel better knowing that they are going to a good home where they will be appreciated. You can give me the measurements of just the rubber hose length and I can add say 1/2” -1” to that to ensure they fit. If you let me know today I’ll have them mailed out to you tomorrow. When I ship them I’ll let you know what it costs and you can just pay pal it to me once you get the lines and your happy with them. I can also through in some stainless 1/2” npt plugs to plug the other ports of the oil filter bracket as Ithink I have about a dozen of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can owe him a case of beer, that's how i paid him for my gas tank!!!!!!
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    What...beer....where?!?! Lol, Hope the FFR gas tank worked out for ya Higgy. This is great community and if I can help out by letting go of some parts that I might not ever use why not.

Post Thanks / Like
    GFX - sorry I went dark for a couple of days - got hit with the flu but back into build now. The measurements for my lines are 21.5 and 17.75 That does not include the fittings - just the actual rubber line. I would say add 1/2 inch to each plus the fittings and we should be good to go. Let me know the cost which I will cover regardless. I will message you my mailing information. Thank you so much for helping me out - the parts will live on and I will post pics as well. I will find a way to get you a case beer!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries, hope your feeling better. I’ll get those lines made up and on their way.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_5273.JPGIMG_5274.JPG

Lynn, see pics of the hoses installed. BTW did you get the check?