Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Crash- Header tank question

Post Thanks / Like

Crash- Header tank question

I'm ready to order your header tank, plan is to ditch the front C5 surge tank and install bleed points the radiators. I've been through a lot of old threads and appreciate the effort you put into making our engines survive!
    I do have a question about something you talked about back in 2010... I believe you said you had to add a 2nd steam vent line because your engine is not level? Can you expand on that? Is that a typical issue (Porsche tranny)? Is there an existing port or would I need to drill and tap?
    Does your tank have all the fittings needed or will I potentially need to add any? C5 hose sizes, right?
    You talk about continuous flow through the tank, does that occur as configured? I'll be running a constantly flowing heater core (Honda unit) but I also may order your Heater Bypass Valve if that would divert warmth from the cockpit in the summer - it would, right?
    Thanks!
    Dave

One more question- does your Heater Bypass Valve draw continuous current in the open or closed position? Also, does it use engine vacuum or create its own vacuum?
    Last edited by beeman; 02-21-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    The bypass valve uses engine vacuum. It is energized when the "standard" heater shut off valve as supplied by Vintage Air is energized, which IIRC, is when the system is in either "Off" or "Max A/C" modes. The purpose of the heater bypass valve is to keep water flowing when in these two modes, but to not have fluid going through the heater core. The kit includes everything you will need, but with two radiators, you may need two of the bleed valves. I add the extra steam vents on the heads as a precaution. All the engines I have worked on had the ports already in the heads, but you will need something to attach to those ports. Summit now sells a steam port attachment kit for LS engines. And to clarify, I would add the second set of steam vents if the engine was pretty much level as if the engine is higher in the front or rear, then steam vents on the higher location is all that SHOULD be needed. I saw the extra vents as cheap insurance. Again, I made my own, but Summit now sells some pretty nice AN adapters for this.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, thanks for the reply.
    I recall reading about one of the early bypass units (another forum member) getting hot from drawing current (solenoid I believe), this isn't an issue now, correct?
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that was with the Vintage Air valve unit. I have had no reports of any heat issues on the vacuum control valve that is included in the bypass kit.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Mike!
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3