FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Inventory

Post Thanks / Like

Inventory

So I am about 3-4 weeks away from arrival date and from reading here, I think Inventory is one of the first steps. Obviously after delivery, photos, etc...

Does anyone have like a spreadsheet they used to track the inventory that can be leveraged?

Thanks
    -B
    MK4 Complete Kit #9311 - Coyote, TKO600, IRS
    Ordered: 1/23/18 | Production Complete: 3/6/18 | Delivery: 3/30/18
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the kit inventory sheets. When the kit is delivered you will get a envelope with a stack of paper in it. This includes a back or list and a pack list that shows the contents of each box. I just highlighted each part as as I located them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Check every thing off on these sheets and make a copy to place on each box after inventory for easier locating. Also make a list of backordered or missing parts that you can check off later.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian - good to meet you a couple of weeks ago. The waiting is hard, yes? :-)

Some have suggested scanning the inventory sheets and using OCR to turn them into searchable documents.

I took the sheet for each box, opened up the box and checked contents against the sheet, then took a picture of the contents and sheet making sure the box number showed in the photo. Then I wrote the general contents on the side of the box and wrote the number on all sides of the box so it could be seen no matter how I put it away. The pictures are a great way to quickly scan for a recognizable shape when you get tired of scanning the sheets. I found the steering shaft inside the brake/fuel line packing tube that way.

I didn't do a good job of recording backorder/missing parts as they came in. I strongly encourage you to take the backorder/missing parts boxes out to your garage and immediately record the new parts on your original sheets, then place each part in the proper box according to the sheet. Lost many hours looking for parts because I didn't do this.

Let me know if you want an extra set of hands when your kit arrives. Driver can help you get the chassis up on jack stands.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the kit inventory sheets too. As a long time computer geek I wanted a spreadsheet. I didn't do one because frankly I was too lazy to retype the inventory sheets from FFR. With each sheet I did a thorough inventory of every item checking things off. This did two things I got real familiar with the parts and the general place they will be used. Second I had a few minor missing things that FFR was great to get sent out.

After the inventory I scanned all the sheets and stored the original in my office and printed a set that I keep in a small binder out with the boxes and printed a set to tape to the boxes. The taped to the boxes sheets didn't last long. They would get pulled off as I was pulling boxes in and out. Some of the boxes have so many different things in them that writing on the box the contents just seemed like work. In the end as long as I can see the box number nice and clear I am good. When I start working on a subsection I go to my binder scan down through the inventory sheets for the stuff I am looking for and that tells me the part numbers and box it is in. I pull that box and get my parts then put the box back.
    In some cases if I merged stuff together I write on the inventory sheets for the original box which box number I moved them to and on the new box sheet I write on the parts I put in the box. There have been a few times that if I could search it would have stopped a second time through the sheets but it isn't that much time and I am getting dang familiar with what is where now. There is a rhyme and reason to how FFR packs things and it works with my brain.

Also since 90% of the time when I am starting a section and pulling parts I am at my computer searching this forum for tips and a many a time much needed clarification on what the heck I am supposed to do. I can just read down through my scanned copy of the inventory electronically to find out what box they are in.

I don't mark off that I have used the parts on the inventory sheet. If I start forgetting what I have done on the car I probably have bigger problems.

Keep details on your POR items as they come in. I marked on the POR inventory sheet which box I put the back ordered part in when it arrived... 99% of the time that was the box it was supposed to be in originally.
    My 2 cents for what its worth.

Ron
    MK4 # 9181 - Complete Kit - 408 EFI, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 2017-10-06
    Build Thread - http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...499#post299499

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly I think the inventory changes enough year to year and build to build that you're stuck making a spreadsheet; the big stuff that doesn't change you won't need a spreadsheet for. That said...

Like Ron I found that writing (in general terms) the contents on the box (on the side where you can see it easily) simplifies the search. In contrast with Ron, however, I highlight what parts I've installed; for me its easier to skip the stuff I've already installed while searching for the part I need at the time. This is especially true for fastener sets.

I do the same thing with my Build To Do list; keep everything but highlight the stuff I've already done.

Clearly there's no right or wrong way to inventory or keep track; find a system that works for you and stick with it.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Because of "limited" garage space (aka "postage stamp size"), I combined boxes during the inventory process. I labeled each remaining box with the number(s) from the inventory sheets and the chassis sub-assembly which the parts were to be used. I also used the inventory sheets to check-mark each part when inventoried and crossed that part off when used during the build. For the back-ordered parts, I again used the POR sheet and as each piece came in, if it went into one of the boxes, I marked POR sheet with the box number it went into and check-marked the inventory sheet(s) for that box. I still managed to spend too much time looking for a few small parts during the build! After all, I am an official "Old Guy" with the short memory that goes along with that title!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    Brian - good to meet you a couple of weeks ago. The waiting is hard, yes? :-)

Some have suggested scanning the inventory sheets and using OCR to turn them into searchable documents.

I took the sheet for each box, opened up the box and checked contents against the sheet, then took a picture of the contents and sheet making sure the box number showed in the photo. Then I wrote the general contents on the side of the box and wrote the number on all sides of the box so it could be seen no matter how I put it away. The pictures are a great way to quickly scan for a recognizable shape when you get tired of scanning the sheets. I found the steering shaft inside the brake/fuel line packing tube that way.

I didn't do a good job of recording backorder/missing parts as they came in. I strongly encourage you to take the backorder/missing parts boxes out to your garage and immediately record the new parts on your original sheets, then place each part in the proper box according to the sheet. Lost many hours looking for parts because I didn't do this.

Let me know if you want an extra set of hands when your kit arrives. Driver can help you get the chassis up on jack stands.
    It was great to meet you too, thanks for letting me come visit.

I guess the time between the order and the arrival is the hardest part. So I was trying to do stuff to prepare, including cleaning the barn out, building the body buck and frame dolly, ordering other parts (Kirkey seat #1 is here) and tools...

Waiting...
    MK4 Complete Kit #9311 - Coyote, TKO600, IRS
    Ordered: 1/23/18 | Production Complete: 3/6/18 | Delivery: 3/30/18
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent a lot of time initially looking through the bags of hardware in each box because the number was difficult to remember and isn’t referenced in the manual. I went back and wrote what the hardware was for on each bag and it sped my search up a lot. As the piles of parts get smaller, the search also gets easier. I also ended up resorting the boxes by system or area used and relabeling the boxes. That plus having put hands on everything twice made it so I could go right to what I need.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RR20AC View Post
    Check every thing off on these sheets and make a copy to place on each box after inventory for easier locating. Also make a list of backordered or missing parts that you can check off later.
    I'll Parrot RR20AC on the "Copy That Deal" and tape it to each box.

Just take your time doing a "Very Thorough & Complete Inventory" because it will save you a lot of pain and suffering during your build.

You literally get a feel for each part and where it goes.

Sound Weird But It Helps!