Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New to the 33HR Build

Post Thanks / Like

New to the 33HR Build

Just wanted to take a minute and tell everyone hello. I ordered my 33 HR complete kit at the end of 2017. I expect delivery the week of March 19th. I stumbled on to this forum after I had placed the order and was surprised to read about some of the issue's that you all have faced with this build. I began to second guess myself on my order and considered canceling the deal all together! The more I read over the past 2 months on this forum the more answers I found. There are so many of you that have the answers, solutions and that are willing to help that I quickly began to feel at ease! I'm good to go! Not sure when I will get started due to a heavy schedule in April and May. I'm sure I will have many questions! I have reached out to a few of you by PM and appreciate the response! Thanks, Tim

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! lots of us are always willing to help out. Read various build threads to get a leg up on your build. Enjoy the ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the new build!! If you cant figure anything out, you have a lot of new friends here that love to help. Especially picking out all of the new parts and options you didn't know you needed.
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    For sure! I have seen several parts lists, tool lists and supply lists posted. I will list my options at some point and see if anything needs to be added to order. I did read a lot of posts on the Boyd tank verses the FFR tank that is supplied with kit. Still undecided on that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coolair247, I had the same thoughts about the issues too. After reading and posting here since my 12/26/17 order with many helpful replies I'm good to go.
    My '33 will arrive next Tuesday. Hope to have it together and running in 3-4 months, probably not painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry, there are many very friendly and helpful people here. Congrats!
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, I felt the same way a few years back. You have a group of folks here that are a great resource to help out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say this, without this website I am not sure I would have tackled this project. I have learned so much from all of the other build threads and questions already on here, and when you run into an issue someone usually comes back with an answer pretty quickly. There are some very knowledgeable car folks on here.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    After talking to Dave Correia at FFR this is the order. Complete Kit order Package - Powder Coat Frame - SBC mounts - 27 spline Chevy drive shaft - Standard vinyl seats - Standard 4 link arms - Standard hood - Standard 6 gauge set - Spread rear exhaust - Sound insulation - Chrome tilt steering - AC kit - Hard top package - Power windows/handles - Full fender kit - Standard 8.8 rear axle 4 link - Standard 11.65 rear brake set - Electric steering.

I plan on using a BluePrint Chevy 383 Carbureted engine with 700R4 auto transmission. I just plan on cruising with it! Pretty Basic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! It's good to see another 33' making it's way to Texas!
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone see any adds or delete's, suggestions on my order that I listed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry about what you read in the threads, negative or otherwise, most postings are based on unknowns most people have or their lack of knowledge in some cases. I would suggest you search and read the forums as a means of finding a solution should you need one or don't quite understand how something may go together. Everyone has their opinion, you will have yours as you move forward. In my case I reviewed all the great ideas and in a lot of cases used them, in others you realize as you build YOUR CUSTOM CAR that you will realize that you take all the other comments with a big grain of salt in some cases. I have learned you will find the "GOOD" eggs will always be there to help, that's been my experience to date. As it come to FFR, they have been amazing for me and my son while we have been building in the last 4 months, just make sure you do your inventory right away.

One BIG suggestion that I/we (my son) learned, when you receive everything, go through the assembly manual, sorry, Assembly GUIDE, first, then do your inventory right after, don't wait too long after your inventory, then as you do your inventory, mark on the outside of the box whats inside and when you see the contents of the boxes, go to your GUIDE and write on/in the pertinent sections what box number has the parts that you will need. This will save you a lot of searching time. As well DON'T take the stuff out of their boxes, leave them in there, much easier to find. I had mine on shelves behind my build location which kept them handy but that depends on the space you will have, if you can do that it will help along with an 8' folding table (for setting up the next thing) you will be golden. One last suggestion, as you complete items on the page, clip the corner of the page so you know what you have completed, its easy to see your progress when you do that and your not flipping through completed items to remember where you were or what you have completed. Hope this helps and look forward to seeing your build log!!!
    20171229_200555.jpg
    Last edited by AJT '33; 02-23-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I've noticed is that for quick answers a lot of guys have been turning to the "Factory Five 33 Hot Rod builders" Facebook page. But no matter what just enjoy the hell out of it. I still miss mine..it was the first FFR I built and the most favorite. It was also the most versatile. Have fun brother and take advantage of the people and the meetups. I would also say that if you can afford it, hop on a southwest flight and come out for the Huntington Beach show end of April. You'll see a lot of great builds and be able to ask a lot of good questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coolair247 View Post
    Does anyone see any adds or delete's, suggestions on my order that I listed?

Check to see if your state or area requires certified seat belts that are compliant to FMVSS #209 which is a seat belt standard, the ones from FFR are good but have an expiration date and some states (or in my case my province) requires them to be compliant to that standard. The rest look great. if your concerned about the fuel tank, look at what I posted on that under the appropriate blog. Have Fun!!!

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say take the time now while your waiting to research the registration requirements in your state. Don't wait till it's built to figure it out. You may or may not need detailed documents like vin numbers and title information if you use any donor parts (like trans/rear end) and keep all your receipts obviously.

Be careful what you read about what people have problems with. Many times its self inflicted because they just wanted to do it different than the FFR formula. You are building to a higher level of complexity with PS, PW, A/C so that will take a little longer.

Good luck and congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! I finalize my order Monday with FFR before completion date of March 10th.After reading several posts I'm going to delete the FFR supplied tank and go with the Boyd tank unless they tell me the tank has been updated with filler higher up on tank. I downloaded the digital assembly manual Friday, not sure it was what I expected but seems ok. Had not thought about the registration, on that also! Everyone have a great week!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim, Hi, I am Tim as well and when you are ready to make the two hour trip you are welcome to drop by and see where I am at on my build. If you do come by there are also two other 33's in the North DFW area. WRP lives about 4 miles or so from me and JOP33 is probably about 30 or 40 minutes away.

Besides a build thread on here, I also have a web site where I have my documented my build.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good Tim, I will take you up on that offer in the near future!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations coolair247! One thing I would suggest is the extra clearance hood. I had to install a hood scoop to clear the carburetor on mine and with the air kit it does not come with the AC compressor. Just remember it’s suppose to be fun. Take your time and enjoy the ride!