Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
These days, a big block is good for two things. 1. Car shows. 2. You just gotta have it. If that is you, go for it. They have their own awesomeness and definitely a wow factor.

Besides that, a small block is the way to go. Lower cost, easier to work on, you can get tons of power and torque from a stroker. If you want these cars to perform, you want to keep them light, and keep the weight rear biased. In the real Cobra world, the 289 was an unbelievable success on the track. The 427......not really. Maybe that's not quite fair because race cars were moving into aerodynamics and having a roof. But the records say what the records say. The 427 is the wow factor car though because it is so outrageous.

With that said......here is my real advice. Within your financial constraints of course. Build the car, that if you drove it to a Cobra event and you could drive any car there back home, yours is the car that you would choose. You are doing the right thing by thinking it through now. If a certain engine sings to you, and is going to fit what you want to do with the car, go for it.

I built my car to drive, perform very well, be quick at autocross, and have the old school vibe. That sent me straight to a 347. Car shows are very far form being my thing. That may have led me elsewhere, engine-wise.
Thank you !!!!