Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote Coolant System Question

Oxford, Michigan and Scottsdale AZ (winters)
    Post Thanks / Like

Coyote Coolant System Question

I have heard there is a check valve in one of the lines that connect to the expansion tank, is this true? Which hose?

I have made a custom tank and hoses and want to insure I have this plumbed properly...Thanks!

Coyote Coolant System Question.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tim. Hello from down the street. The small hose that goes from the expansion tank to the top of the radiator has a check valve installed. Mine for the Gen 2 Coyote was Ford part number FR3Z-8075-C. Looks like the one on your diagram is different. I don't know any of the details about the hose, e.g. where the check valve us, what direction it's going, etc. I just bought it from Ford (Tasca Parts actually) and installed it. Replaced the petcock on the radiator with a right angle barb connector and shortened the hose to match. Cooling system is working properly, so assume it's doing whatever it does.

Paul B.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Hey Tim. Hello from down the street. The small hose that goes from the expansion tank to the top of the radiator has a check valve installed. Mine for the Gen 2 Coyote was Ford part number FR3Z-8075-C. Looks like the one on your diagram is different. I don't know any of the details about the hose, e.g. where the check valve us, what direction it's going, etc. I just bought it from Ford (Tasca Parts actually) and installed it. Replaced the petcock on the radiator with a right angle barb connector and shortened the hose to match. Cooling system is working properly, so assume it's doing whatever it does.

Paul B.
    Thanks Paul...was going to call you but realized I didn't have your number. Anyway, I'm out of time to get something from the dealership plus I decided to make my own hoses. We have a variety of check valves here at the shop, but didn't know which one. There are system flow arrows on the diagram, however I still wonder if the 2011-2014 vintage Coyote uses a check valve since yours is Gen-2 correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, my Roadster is a Gen 2 Coyote. The cooling system diagram is just like the one you posted. Just has different part numbers for some of the hoses because the underhood layout of the Gen 2 equipped Mustang is slightly different including a re-designed expansion tank. The famous "turtle." I suspect the functional design is the same however, and I'm guessing the Gen 1 cooling system also has a check valve in that hose. Understand completely about your timeline with Autorama just around the corner. No more than you're going to run it, I'd think it would be fine to use a hose without a check valve for now. But I'd get the proper one on there before hitting the road for real. At the very least, maybe find out what its actual purpose is. Our engineer friends at Ford obviously had something in mind.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-23-2018 at 04:35 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed on running it for now. I will try to get the answer from Ford and share

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2014, Gen1, flavored coyote and it does have a checkvalve in this hose.

Post Thanks / Like
    The hose allows air to escape from the top of the radiator and the check valve keeps reverse flow from the coolant tank when more pressure is in the tank than the radiator.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build