Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: T5 noise

Post Thanks / Like

T5 noise

When my car is in fourth or fifth gear I can hear a “whiring” noise that I believe is coming from the transmission. In first, second and third gears all I hear is exhaust from the factory five pipes. It’s not a whine but a lower pitched noise. 30 years ago I had a car with an M22 transmission and gear and Sychro whine was a welcome sound as it was normal. I have no experience until last May driving with a T5 transmission. I am just wondering if I’m hearing normal transmission noise or if it’s the sound of a problem. To put this in perspective, we are talking about doing 65 on the highway and I can hear this low pitched whine/whir. The T5 is out of the donor car a 1990 Mustang LX with 69,000 miles on it.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked your fluid to see that its full?
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Walt, I haven't checked the fluid level, but there are no drips under the car, so I wasn't suspecting low fluid level. However, it's a great suggestion and when my car is in the shop next week I'll ask to check the fluid level. I'm getting new tires, new FFR front lower control arms/alignment and while the left rear wheel is off, check the build/frame number.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark the reason i suggested it , im getting mine ready for San Marcos and was underneath changing the oil and had oil from tranny back, i found out the speed sensor i had in there was for cable, which im not using and it was leaking allover the underneath so i changed to one that is sealed.
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.