Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rsnake roadster build thread

Post Thanks / Like

Rsnake roadster build thread

Hello everyone,
    Well, I went and did it! I ordered my roadster on Wednesday with an anticipated delivery of early May.
    My son returns from boot camp May 4th and hopefully the car makes it before he heads off to infantry school on May 14th. He was so impressed with the factory five tour we took after Christmas and then again at Barrett Jackson, he will be so excited to see it. I have dreamed about building a factory five for a long time and can't believe it's ordered. So, the details;
    Roadster with coyote and Tko 600
    Full length headers
    Powder coating
    IRS
    Power steering
    Koni double adjustable shocks
    Sway bars front and rear
    Wildwood brakes
    Leather seats
    Ffr gauge set
    Halibrand wheels
    Heater
    Probably hydraulic clutch

I have been reading the build threads and learning as much as I can. Tony Zullo was amazing with his knowledge and help with the ordering process. I am impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    R, Best of luck with the build, you will have an wealth of information here with the members. Thank your son for his service, and hope he stays safe. Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck, sounds like a great build. Great info on the forums. Our thanks to your son for his service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto what Venom61 said. Thank you to your son and thank you to you for raising a man willing to serve his country. This build is a fantastic journey. It’s even better shared with your children.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Good news. Paid factory five yesterday and the kit should be finished on the 21st and Stewart will be picking it up on the 23rd if all goes well. My son graduates on May 4th so the timing should be good. Getting excited.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Aboard & Please Thank Your Son For His Service!
    I know he is just starting his military career, but he's already a hero in my mind.
    I'm sure he is a fine son and one fine American.
    Welcome To The Factory Five Family!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much. He is a great son and I am proud of him. Cannot wait to see him! On to the build,
    has anyone painted the suspensions pieces from factory five? I am thinking about scuffing
    all the pieces and painting red to match my future red stripes on dark grey paint scheme. I did this when I built
    my 67 fastback and it's a great touch but I haven't seen anyone do it on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on making the jump into the Cobra kit car world. Your build plan sounds text book. Several hundred before you along the same lines. FFR build manual, the FFR Tech Support guys and the collective knowledge in the forums should ensure a successful build. As for changing the color of the suspension parts, you may want to have them pounder coated. I'd be concerned with using paint that road debri would knock the color off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Dave. It's been 30 years of dreaming about building one. As for the durability of the paint I shoot the same 2 stage used on the body. It held up well on my mustang suspension which was tracked a lot. It did look beautiful if you jacked it up. The front clip of the mustang was another story. Sticky tires kicking up gravel doesn't do well for a paint job, but since I paint cars for a hobby I don't worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rsnake, Painting your suspension parts is a great idea. Post photos please. Also, I'm intrigued that you paint cars for a hobby. I'll be rattling your chain in about six months when I am ready to start painting my MK4.

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, I have been painting cars on and off for thirty years and enjoy it in small doses. A ton of work and tough on the shoulders with all the block sanding. If I could post photos I would attach a couple. Just finished a tr6 that I was planning on keeping but went to Sema and had to have my dream car so the triumph was sold and the cobra ordered. I am willing to help you out anyway possible. Easier to paint then most people think.

Post Thanks / Like
    I received an email from Stewart yesterday telling me they have trucks on the way to factory five and my kit should be picked up any day, keeping my fingers crossed. Received a photo of the completed kit from Tony on Tuesday so I know it exists. The waiting is killing me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The fun is about to begin so here are a few tips that will help you get started:

1. Read the manual one more time before you start doing your inventory.
    .....(It Makes The Inventory Process Easier!)

2. After you check in each box, make a copy of the packing list place a cope of each sheet on it's corresponding box.
    .....(Helps You Find Parts As You Start The Assembly!)

3. Take your time doing the inventory and get familiar with each part, then take you significant other, assuming you have one, out for a nice dinner.
    .....(Their Favorite Place!)

4. Then read the manual again and start your build.
    .....(It Makes A Diffidence!)

Good Luck & Congratulations Again Because A Grand Adventure Is Truly About To Begin!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-26-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    GoDadgo,

Thanks for the advice. Number 3 is probably the most important since I won't be seeing her as much as usual.
    How long does inventory usually take?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It took my wife and I about 8-10 hours.
    I dug through each box and found the parts and she checked off each item.
    We literally touched every part except for the individual rivets.

NOTE: Since we've had many "Life Event Delays" being organized has been extremely valuable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! It'll be in your driveway before you know it.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    8-10 hours for inventory! Wow, I am scared already.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not that bad. I broke my inventory into two or three sessions to keep sharp, but it's a bit like Christmas morning every time you open another box!

I also took a picture of the contents of each box laid out, all internal boxes opened, with the box number clearly in view. Helped me find some parts later. Here's one example:DSC00064.jpg
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Taking photos of the box contents is a great idea, especially if they are tough to get at.Since I don't have storage space the boxes will be in my Sons room since he won't be needing it for a while. I assume everyone writes what's in the box on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsnake View Post
    Taking photos of the box contents is a great idea, especially if they are tough to get at.Since I don't have storage space the boxes will be in my Sons room since he won't be needing it for a while. I assume everyone writes what's in the box on them.
    Congrats on your upcoming kit delivery. You're in for a great adventure. You're getting good advice on the inventory. Don't short circuit the process. Builders get understandably anxious and want to start building immediately. But take the time now and you'll find it's worth it later. Especially as a first time builder. Doing the inventory not only makes sure you have everything, nothing is wrong or damaged, etc., it gives you a chance to see and touch the parts you'll be using. If you did your homework and read the manual (you did, right? ) you'll recognize things as you go and little by little it will all make sense.

I too highly recommend leaving the parts in the boxes as received. Sounds like you have room. As backordered parts show up, highly recommend to put those in the boxes they were supposed to be in.

Taking pictures and writing on the boxes is a good idea if it helps you. What you may not know is you will receive a full manifest of every box and what's in every box -- line by line -- with your kit delivery. I punch holes in those pages and put in a three ring binder. That becomes my roadmap for finding things as I need them. Some put the pages right on the boxes. That's OK too. But I prefer to have them all together.

Bottom line is to stay organized. You'll understand that even more when you see all the parts. Good luck and enjoy!
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-28-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I moved the contents of the boxes to black storage bins from hd. They are more resilient and stack better, imo. I put two boxes into each bin with labels on the top and two sides with what boxes are in them and their descriptions. It was a year between inventory and starting the build and we have had no problem finding the parts we need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the ideas. I have read the manual a couple of times and many of the build threads, still digesting all the information.
    I have been getting organized over the last few months waiting for the kit and hopefully it stays that way after it arrives.
    I think I have a colored picked out, Ford lead foot grey with red stripes. Trying to avoid metallic since I will be spraying it in my garage with poor lighting.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's officially on the truck headed my way, and I even have a photo to prove it. Just cannot post the photo yet.image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it let me post it. My bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it let me post it. My bad.
    Awesome, did you get a call from the driver or did you get an update from Factory Five? I still haven't heard if mine was picked up yet. I'm starting to think that Stewart Transport has it out for me since mine has been sitting since 3/24!

Post Thanks / Like
    I emailed both parties this morning to see what was going on as Stewart said they had three trucks on the way.
    Tony said the truck was there and it was getting loaded. Hopefully yours is loaded with mine. Jolene did tell me mine was headed to Phoenix where it would be transferred to a truck equipped with the rails to deliver the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wilwood brakes arrived so figured I would safety wire rotors as the wait for the car is killing me.
    Have brakes but no car to put them on. image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it finally arrived. The driver was amazing and all went well. Started inventory last night and decided the best method was to write the contents of each box in black sharpie on the outside of the boxes.
    cobra family.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Right on, let the fun begin! Be meticulous with your inventory...
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, inventory is done and I am only missing a few things. Will contact Tony tomorrow.
    So in 24 hours I have finished the inventory, taken the body off and finished drilling the f panels.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, inventory is done and I am only missing a few things. Will contact Tony tomorrow.
    So in 24 hours I have finished the inventory, taken the body off and finished drilling the f panels.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

....and, you're underway! Congratulations!

I followed pretty much all the advice you've been given on inventory process, and it worked well. After that, I went back and took a photo of every inventory sheet, so I had it all in my phone. When I'm away from the car but intend to pick something up or order something, it comes in really handy.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    So after work today I figured I would get the pedal assembly mounted up as I am waiting for parts. I don't think it will interfere with anything down the road, will it? I don't want to remove something because it's in the way. Hopefully I didn't waste my time.
    image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    My friend put a tesla sticker on the nose of the body last night. I think I will keep it for a while, should generate some interesting discussions.
    image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    So after work today I figured I would get the pedal assembly mounted up as I am waiting for parts. I don't think it will interfere with anything down the road, will it? I don't want to remove something because it's in the way. Hopefully I didn't waste my time.
    image.jpeg
    Shouldn't interfere with anything. The pedal box goes in pretty early on. The only thing that's close to it is the firewall and I think you have room.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    First issue appeared tonight. My son wanted to install the steering rack and I figured why not, I don't think it will interfere with anything down the road. We pressed out the bushings that came with the rack and installed the poly ones with no drama. The drivers side of the rack dropped into place and we inserted the 1/2" bolt, as the passenger side was lowered I realized the rack mounting hole is 1/4" too wide! I thought about drilling the holes on the chassis to 5/8" which will give me the width but wanted to check with the professionals before doing so. Thanks in advance for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    You list power steering in your first post. So the power steering rack from Factory Five? Just curious and making sure nothing unusual. Also you mention installing the poly bushings. Also the metal sleeves that go inside those? Just want to confirm. I personally haven't had the issue, but I've seen mention by several builders that they had to enlarge the frame mounting holes. First make sure the powder coat is removed from the holes and the bolt will go in and out freely (same can be said for all the suspension mounting holes). Whatever additional clearance is required I would slot the holes the required direction rather than drilling them larger. I would also make sure that whatever adjustment you make the rack stays centered.

Another option is the bushings from Breeze. https://www.breezeautomotive.com/det...hp?prod_id=720. These replace the FF poly bushings and sleeves and allow adjustment to get everything aligned.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward, it's a factory five power steering rack straight from them. I have the poly bushings with the metal sleeves and the bolts do go through the frame with no issues. I can try and snap a photo. And things were going so smooth, oh well, all in the fun.
    I will call fcatory five tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Edward, it's a factory five power steering rack straight from them. I have the poly bushings with the metal sleeves and the bolts do go through the frame with no issues. I can try and snap a photo. And things were going so smooth, oh well, all in the fun.
    I will call fcatory five tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks
    Pretty normal to have "adjustments" like this. 99.9% sure they'll tell you to enlarge the holes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five informed me the drivers side hole in the chassis should be slotted and mine is not. They want me to send photos which I will do when I get home tonight.
    I will report back.

Post Thanks / Like
    This afternoon I slotted the driver side hole and the rack dropped right in. All is good. Not sure what happened but it's all part of the fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast