FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rsnake roadster build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Today started painting some of the suspension pieces. Painted both sway bars, upper control arms, driveshaft, trunk hinge arms and front body mount brackets. Glad I painted the driveshaft as the black that was painted on came right off with a scotch bright pad and never would have lasted. Still waiting on parts so figured I would get some of the painting done.
    I have most of the aluminum drilled and in place with clecko's.image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

2. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a photo of the painted upper control arm.
    image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed the upper control arms this afternoon but I was curious if anyone else had to take them apart as the factory had them assembled wrong or maybe I messed up and should have left them alone. The ball joints went in easy so I guess that's a good thing.
    image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to reassemble mine as they had been put together incorrectly from the factory
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, that's good to hear, thought I might be taking a step back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not heard of anyone who did not have to flip them.
    They are re -purposes from another application that uses them "upside down"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsnake View Post
    Installed the upper control arms this afternoon but I was curious if anyone else had to take them apart as the factory had them assembled wrong or maybe I messed up and should have left them alone. The ball joints went in easy so I guess that's a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    I had to reassemble mine as they had been put together incorrectly from the factory
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeAIII View Post
    I have not heard of anyone who did not have to flip them. They are re-purposes from another application that uses them "upside down"
    Factory Five has used different vendors for the upper control arms just in the years I've been kicking around here. As supplied by the current vendor they are "upside down" for this application but I'm not sure I'd call them assembled incorrectly. They're stock parts and that's apparently how they supply them. The proper configuration is shown in the instruction manual and easy enough to change. But unfortunately many do miss it and it's been flagged on multiple builds. Glad you got it right the first time. No fun taking things apart. Especially the ball joints when installed with Loctite as they should be.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a little while since my last update, about a week. Still waiting on parts so I just keep painting.
    I actually received the differential on Thursday and figured I would get it painted. What is everyone doing with the aluminum cover? I was going to clear it but it's got some marks on it and clear would make it look worse.
    image.jpeg
    Also assembled the freshly painted irs control arms but cannot install as I am waiting for bolts and bushings for the differential.
    image.jpeg
    The diff was leaking gear oil and made a huge mess in the FedEx truck, I felt sorry for the driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Coyote control pack arrived today and figured I would install the upper and lower clutch switches.
    The one which goes under the peddle box is easy as it doesn't matter if it's a cable or hydraulic clutch.
    The other one is another issue. I fabricated a bracket and bolted it on the top of the wilwood peddle box.
    My question for the evening, if you ever need to service the clutch area of the wilwood box is it near impossible to access?
    image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    According to Wilwood, those master cylinders are pretty much fail proof. That being said, I've had two (clutch) masters leak. I've put about 400 miles on the car in gelcoat. After the body was removed for painting a few months ago, I noticed some very minor "wetness" around the rubber boot on the clutch master. Peeling it back it was very wet inside the boot, and obviously leaking around the piston. As much as I hated to open up the clutch plumbing ( I HATE working with brake fluid, nasty messy stuff) I figured I needed to replace the master. Ordered a new one from Wilwood and installed it. As I was bleeding in in the car, paying attention to the slave and not the master, I ended up with brake fluid pouring out of the master around the piston/boot again, this time a lot. I sent both units back to Wildwood, and both were bad according to them, so they sent me two replacements. Installed one of the replacements (this being the third unit on the car) and got it going. So far no leaking around piston, not sure about the fitting on top from the reservoir though. I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm going to have to really hold my breath when I close up that foot box area, and get the body back on. And yes, to answer your question, I don't see any way to do any maintenance or work on those master cylinders with the body on and footboy panels installed. It's going to kill me not being able to at least see what's going on with those masters, let alone not able to work on them.
    Last edited by boat737; 06-02-2018 at 10:57 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys do have the removable cover on the DS footbox don't you? Seen in the picture below. Not exactly the same as the current sheet metal, but that's the idea. Wouldn't be fun, but between this cover and reaching from underneath, could do some work in the footbox. Might have to swing the fuse panel out of the way as well if using the recommended location. None of which would be easy, but nothing compared to removing the body. I hope to not find out (so far so good...) but it would be possible to change one of the MC's that way.

Nice fab work on that clutch switch Rsnake. But to be honest, that's not going to make reaching in there for maintenance any easier. The FF provided mounting bracket, and what several of us did before the FF one was available, mounts on the pedal box mounting screws right next to the MC. Much more compact and out of the way. FWIW.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Edwardb on the tip about the clutch switch. I think I need to follow the manual instead of just jumping into different jobs. A friend came over tonight and wondered how you would ever change out a master cylinder with the small access, I told him it wouldn't be fun and I hope to never find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rear diff bushings arrived so this weekend I installed it.
    image.jpeg
    Installed rear brakes and hoping I can still install cv shafts as I have left the knuckle to control arm bolts loose.
    image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't posted anything for two weeks and I have been busy on the build. The coyote has been installed for some test fitting and making sure I have this where they need to go. Hopefully the next time it gets installed it will be the last time.
    I also received the front spindles so I finished the fron suspension and brakes. Did a really rough alignment assuming the control arms are near level when at ride height. The fuel tank finally showed up so finishing up the fuel system once all the 3/8" lines arrive from Summit Racing.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpegimage.jpeg
    I also bleed the brakes and the clutch. The brakes feel good but the clutch is heavier than a modern car that's for sure, not too bad but stiff.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while since I have posted anything, family and work leave little time to be on the Internet.
    So today the coyote came to life! First push of the button and it fired right up, damn that thing is loud without mufflers.
    I don't think the neighbors appreciated it. Three months after it came home it came to life, hoping for a go cart drive tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, your killing it!!
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Higgy. It has been fun and keeps me out of trouble. I would post some photos of the completed dash and center console but it says I don't have permission even though I have posted photos in the past. Weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    So hopefully this works and I can post some more photos. Here is the dash.
    IMG_3029.JPG

20. Thanks chuckster thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The completed dash and center console. It will be covered in dark grey leather.
    IMG_3082.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    The body work has officially begun.
    IMG_3102.JPG
    IMG_3139.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    More body work. I am actually impressed with how straight the body is. Not a lot of filler needed. Maybe go through 1 Qt when it's all said and done.
    image.jpegimage.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    It's in primer. Hopefully the body goes on this week and start assembly.
    IMG_3339.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been another month and the car is in primer and the dmv adventure starts Monday at 2:30!
    About two weeks ago I had a run in with the law. My daughters boy friend wanted a ride in the go kart stage and I said lets go. We kept it mellow and in the neighborhood until I realized we were low on fuel so I decided to swing down to the main road and put some gas in it. As I was fueling up a San Mateo county sheriff drove past and hung a u turn. He pulled up and rolled down the window and said"really". He then started naming all the infractions, I told him I live up the street and just built it and needed fuel. He went and parked and walked over. It turned into a lot of questions and a " you had better not be here when I get out of the store". Lucky me. So hopefully Tuesday I can legally drive it on the road.
    It's been 6 months and 1 week since delivery. Can wait to get it out on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL...Good story! You know he wanted to take a drive.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say is WOW!!
    Went to dmv today to begin my sb100 registration and it went pretty smooth considering it's the dmv.
    Made me get a brake and light inspection and then return to get a 90 day temporary operating permit.
    But they gave me a couple of 1 day permits to get the brake and light inspection. So, what did I do, went straight home and took it out on the road for the first time. What a car! At 60 mph in fifth gear it's a docile beast and could have a conversation with my daughter. Not a lot of wind compared to my topless CJ, but once you get on it which was only part throttle and it's like hell broke loose. I am actually afraid of what full throttle must be like. I am so impressed with the factory five product after actually driving it. Put 26 miles on the odometer and smiled the entire time. Photos will be coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm enjoying following your build. Keep it up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsnake View Post
    It's been another month and the car is in primer and the dmv adventure starts Monday at 2:30!
    About two weeks ago I had a run in with the law. My daughters boy friend wanted a ride in the go kart stage and I said lets go. We kept it mellow and in the neighborhood until I realized we were low on fuel so I decided to swing down to the main road and put some gas in it. As I was fueling up a San Mateo county sheriff drove past and hung a u turn. He pulled up and rolled down the window and said"really". He then started naming all the infractions, I told him I live up the street and just built it and needed fuel. He went and parked and walked over. It turned into a lot of questions and a " you had better not be here when I get out of the store". Lucky me. So hopefully Tuesday I can legally drive it on the road.
    It's been 6 months and 1 week since delivery. Can wait to get it out on the road.
    Haha, this could've went a lot worse. Good story, and a cool officer.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats, Rsnake! That's great news - looking forward to seeing the pictures! I can just imagine you cruising up highway 1 there in go-cart mode...

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow up to the sheriff episode. Called a friend today to let him know the car is on the road and to come over and look at it. First thing he says after answering is" heard the police have their eyes out for you on the coast". He then proceeds to tell me the local sheriffs are talking about the interaction. His best friend is a sheriff on the coast and had heard about the encounter. Funny how things get around.
    Went to DMV yesterday and now have my 30 day temporary operating permit. Trying to get a chp appt now.

32. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now a little over 100 miles on the car and everything works perfect. I am getting some brake peddle pulsation at higher speeds and I am assuming it's the rears since it's not felt through the steering wheel. I took my wife out yesterday for her first drive and she actually enjoyed it, she wants to drive it which is a good thing. Here are some photos.
    image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Some more photos
    image.jpeg
    image.jpegimage.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic, Rsnake!! Nice going!

Post Thanks / Like
    So noticed my first issue today and hoping someone can help out. The coyote has always fired quickly until yesterday. It cranks for a couple of seconds and then fires, especially when cold. Starts up quick when turned off and restarted immediately. If I look at the fuel pressure gauge it climbs when the ignition is on but drops back to zero almost immediately when shut off. I am using the FFR supplied fuel system with the Walbro intake pump and assuming the check valve is bad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a long road but it's time to graduate 9338. I haven't posted on here much but I figure it was time. Just finished paint last weekend, cut/buff and body back on this week. Nice drive down the California coast with my wife today.
    IMG_6646.jpg
    IMG_6645.jpgIMG_6648.jpg
    Hopefully these photos load. Thanks to everyone on this forum, couldn't have done it with out you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: zip 1.zip (90.5 KB, 53 views)
    • File Type: zip 2.zip (123.7 KB, 61 views)

38. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12