Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  159

Thread: 40 Watt Garage & #9365

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Trunk Area – Fuel System

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Trunk Area – Fuel System

(This all goes somewhat out of sequence with the FFR manual, but (IMO) all of these things need to be dealt with before you start even thinking about setting a rivet in a trunk area panel. Once those panels are locked down with "glue & screws" it's going to be a real PITA to make alterations or additions.)

I wanted to get everything from the rear cockpit wall to the bumper bolts planned out, mocked up, and (if necessary) bolted down before any tin went on.

I’ll be using the Forte’s Performance supplied fuel delivery components in the Coyote Package.
    Mike provides:

• In-Tank pump & pickup
    • Integrated filter & regulator
    • Pre-made quick connect lines (supply & return to filter/regulator)
    • Adapter tube (filter outlet to quick connect line)
    • A length of fuel line with quick connect ends (filter to engine)

Ford Performance (via Forte’s) provides:

• Evap Canister

FFR provides:

• Fuel Level sending unit
    • Fuel Tank & mounting straps

I installed the fuel lever sender and Forte’s pump/pickup into the tank per the FFR instructions, and with some experience of my own doing this on other vehicles.
    Tips:

• Smear some Vaseline or chassis grease onto the O-rings. I’ll help hold them in place, and let the parts slide around a bit when seating the locking rings.
    • There’s a sump in the fuel pickup area of the tank. The filter sock must be oriented the correct way on the pump for it to fit. Look through the filler hole with a flashlight to see what I mean.
    • Make sure the filter sock is fully seated on the pickup nose of the pump! It’ll fall off wiggling the assembly into the tank if it’s not. (Don’t ask how I know…)
    • The locking ring “ears” invade the space for the discs on the sender & pickup. You’ll have to finagle the parts around to get them past the ears and onto the O-rings.
    • If everything’s seated in place correctly, the locking rings will easily spin around into position with a few light love-taps with a hammer & drift. Make sure all three ears are engaged.

Here’s the in-tank pump and filter sock
    Double check the tightness of the machine screws and the outlet hose clamp. (The large hose clamp around the pump body was to keep the pump from moving while pressing the filter sock on. It was removed before installing the pump)
    Fuel_01.png

This is the integrated supply/return/regulator fuel filter, with the Forte’s supplied tube adapter on the outlet.
    Fuel_02.png

This is the raw bracket I made up for the filter unit, some 2x2 aluminum angle, and a 10-32 rivnut
    Fuel_03.png

Bracket & Filter
    Fuel_04.png

Mocked in place on the car
    It’s roughly above the axle shaft, aft of the UCA forward pivot, on the main frame rail
    Fuel_05.png

After a trip to the blast cabinet and paint
    Fuel_06.png

Riveted on the car, with Supply and Return hoses attached
    Fuel_07.png

Shot from forward of the brake rotor. The filter outlet hangs just below the main frame member, angled out
    Fuel08b.jpg

Fuel Tank with Fuel Level sender, and Fuel Pump installed. The Filter/Regulator is at top-right.
    Fuel_09.png

Fuel Pump with quick-connect lines attached
    Fuel_10.png
    Last edited by Fixit; 09-13-2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: clarification
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021