Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  159
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 40 Watt Garage & #9365

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - IRS Rear Brake Lines

Made a little progress yesterday running the braided flex and hard-line crossover pipe. The instruction manual isn't very clear on this, so I did a "sit and stare at it" session for a bit. Criteria was tucked up out of the way, clearance from moving suspension, but serviceable (future flex line replacement), and ultimate routing of the main feed from the rear master cylinder.

I settled on mounting the flex to hardline tabs midway on the diagonal tube for the upper control arm
    RearBrakes01.jpgRearBrakes02.jpg

Here's a few shots from further back... note the blue marks on the tabs. I clipped the fittings in place on the bench, and marked the tabs for the minimum clearance to have the retainer clips fully engage.
    RearBrakes03.jpgRearBrakes04.jpgRearBrakes05.jpg

The "T" fitting is on the Driver's Side. I'll be running the main feed from the Rear Master down this side of the car.

Here's a few shots of the hardline "crossover" pipe. This was a cut-to-fit piece, and needed to have one end properly double flared.
    RearBrakes06.jpgRearBrakes07.jpgRearBrakes08.jpgRearBrakes09.jpg

This line is tucked up against trunk floor cross-brace. I'll lock it down with some of the rubbery/coated clamps.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

2. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Wilwood Pedal Box

After the rear brake line job, I started on the Wilwood pedal assembly.

One of the things that has concerned me was that others have had interference issues with the 3/4"sq. upper chassis/body tube and the clutch pedal (travel).

I jigged up the pedal assembly, bolted it in, and my clutch pedal is at 98% of travel (before hitting the footbox tin) when it contacts the 3/4sq. tube.
    Pedals02.jpg

I'm not going to cut the tube, splice, bolt/weld, whatever at this rate. I'll imagineer an adjustable stop-bolt off the 3/4" tube, and play with the throw adjustment at the slave & master cylinder.

The Wilwood pedal assembly went in without a hitch... (the directions suck) but it's in there. Also in these pics is the Forte's Performance hydraulic clutch master cylinder (Wilwood piece).
    Pedals01.jpgPedals03.jpgPedals04.jpgPedals05.jpgPedals06.jpgPedals07.jpgPedals08.jpg

Next step will be Cleco'ing the DS footbox tins back in place and determining hard line routing out of the footbox.

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Front Brake Lines pt.1

Had the last couple of days off from my whirlwind trip of SD, WI, and SC, and got back into the shop for some quality decompression & build time. (Amazing what a DVD in the player and tinkering will do for your mental health!)

Since there's no "set" plans on routing, and it's pretty much left to builder's discretion... here's my take on the hardline-to-flex line transitions.
    FrontLines01.pngFrontLines02.pngFrontLines03.pngFrontLines04.pngFrontLines05.pngFrontLines06.pngFrontLines07.pngFrontLines08.pngFrontLines09.png

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Front Brake Lines pt.2

Now that I had an "Aiming Point", I could route the hardline between wheels, and figure a way out of the footbox for the main feeder.

Using the Wilwood front footbox panel, there are 3 holes in the steel "bulkhead" that are unused/covered up.
    I decided to utilize the outboard-most hole for my exit from the footbox for the main front brake feeder. I opened up the bulkhead hole to 5/8", cleco'd the panel in place, marked the hole, and drilled the aluminum panel to fit a 3/16" (ID) rubber grommet.

The wheel to wheel crossover pipe was bent and tacked to the front "X" brace and routed to each wheel coupler.

FrontLines10.pngFrontLines12.pngFrontLines13.pngFrontLines14.pngFrontLines15.png
    Last edited by Fixit; 08-01-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Footbox Plumbing

This was a real "sit and stare at it" session. There's a LOT going on in this little space, and the only access to it is either through the top hatch, or upside-down on your head in the footbox when everything is glued n screwed together.

Figuring out a way to exit the footbox for the rear brake main feeder was the biggest challenge. I wanted to keep in INSIDE the footbox, away from the headers/sidepipes, but not in the way of anything. There's this neat little channel/space between the 3/4" sq. tube and the round front floor/nerf bar tube. I was able to snake the line through this gap, and it's protected and out of the way.

RearFeed01.png

This is what the finished product looks like, and you can see a better angle of the front main feeder line exit.

Lines01.pngLines02.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done. I really enjoyed running brake lines for some reason. Good problem solving challenge.
    Yours is well planned and executed.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a few FFR boxes waiting for me on the stoop... Down to 2 items on my POL list
    Tie Rod ends
    Bumpers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Had the last couple of days off from my whirlwind trip of SD, WI, and SC, and got back into the shop for some quality decompression & build time. (Amazing what a DVD in the player and tinkering will do for your mental health!)

Since there's no "set" plans on routing, and it's pretty much left to builder's discretion... here's my take on the hardline-to-flex line transitions.
    FrontLines01.pngFrontLines02.pngFrontLines03.pngFrontLines04.pngFrontLines05.pngFrontLines06.pngFrontLines07.pngFrontLines08.pngFrontLines09.png
    Im concerned. It looks like your flex line will rub when the suspension travels upward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im concerned. It looks like your flex line will rub when the suspension travels upward.
    Nope... 1" clearance on the upper A-Arm at all times unless the steering is broken & the tire is rubbing a hole through the "F" panel (bigger problems)

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Brake & Clutch Reservoir

A little more progress on the braking system the last few days.
    The supplied single reservoir and "Tee" fitting/hose arrangement has always struck me as a bit "oogie", and leaves no provision for a hydraulic clutch. Enter the Tilton 3-chamber reservoir.
    It'll set you back about $110 bucks, but solves all the problems in a really nice, all-in-one unit... until you consider the options. They make them with AN fitting output, or hose barb output.

I ordered the hose-barb version. Problem is that the hose fittings on the Tilton unit are for a 3/8" hose - the barbs on the Wilwood master(s) are for 1/4".

So, I voided any warranty and sawed off the molded-in hose fittings, drilled the nubs, and tapped the bottoms of the reservoirs for 1/8" NPT. A trip to the corner hardware store netted three 1/8" NPT to hose barb 90deg fittings, and they're threaded into the Tilton piece.

A few hours, some .040 aluminum sheet and a mounting bracket was fabbed up, some RivNuts set, and the Tilton reservoir is in place. Now to bleed the brakes and see if I can still do double-flares correctly!

Lines03.pngLines04.pngLines05.pngLines06.pngLines07.pngLines08.pngLines09.pngLines10.png

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Mustang Rear Brakes & E-Brake Cables - Pt. 1

I am using the 2015 and up Mustang IRS & disc brakes. This led to a dilemma with the Emergency/Parking brake cables.
    I'm assuming that the earlier IRS/T-Bird calipers used a slotted arrangement for the wheel end of the cable - where a "knob/stop" was swedged on the end of the cable.

This is not the case with the later calipers, and the available cables from FFR won't work with the 2015 & up Mustang brakes... here's why
    Attachment 91139 The Mustang calipers use a hook & slot setup on the axle end of the cable Attachment 91140

This means I'll have to reuse the cables from the Mustang.
    (I purchased a complete rotor-to-rotor rear axle assembly - a zero mile "take-out" unit - that included the springs, shocks, ABS sensors, and E-Brake cables).

Step 1 - using a lineman's pliers or big sidecutters, nip off the handle-end swedged knob on the end of the inner cable (NOT the end pictured above!) Slide the inner cable out of the sheath and set aside for later.
    This should leave you with two outer cable sheaths something like this... Attachment 91141

Step 2 - Removing the un-needed mounting brackets. The only bracket you need to save is the one about 6" from the caliper - everything else can go.
    Attachment 91142 Mark the bracket, and cut off the ear for the ABS sensor cable E-Brake05.jpgE-Brake06.jpg

The brackets are very easy to remove from the sheath. Clamp the bracket in the vise, and use a BIG straight-blade screwdriver to coax the rolled area open
    E-Brake07.jpgE-Brake08.jpgE-Brake09.jpg When you're done, you should have a pile of brackets...E-Brake10.jpg

Step 3 - Shortening the cable sheaths
    The chassis end "fitting" (grey plastic) of the cable sheath is not glued/swedged/whatever on the end of the sheath.
    E-Brake11.jpg
    It is threaded onto the outer jacket, and is removeable (!). It is however Left-Hand thread. A really good grip on the sheath and a twist to the right will spin the fitting off the sheath (sorry, no detail pic of them off the cable).
    - Remove the ends and test fit the cable ends in the holes on the frame mounting tab. (I needed to file the holes a bit for them to snap in)
    - Remount the cables on the caliper end(s), and snake them cables through the frame, and through the mounting tab on the chassis.
    - In my instance, the DS side went through the bottom hole, PS through the top.

Play around with this a bit, think about routing, clearance, smooth bends/radii, and potential hazards from suspension parts. Also consider locations on frame tubes for mounting a retainer clip or two for the cables.

- When you've determined your routing, mark the cable sheaths at the point where they go through the frame tab holes, and remove.

My cables wound up being 42" on the Driver's side, 36" on the Passenger
    Measured from here (caliper end): E-Brake12.jpg to here E-Brake13.jpgE-Brake14.jpg

I recommend using a hacksaw with a 32 tpi blade to cut the cable sheaths. There's the outer jacket, the metal core, then the inner sleeve. Go easy on it and they cut through very cleanly.

Re-install the grey end fittings on your newly shortened sheaths, and slide the inner cables back in. Install them on the car.
    Last edited by Fixit; 08-12-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Mustang Rear Brakes & E-Brake Cables - Pt. 2

I'm not too crazy about the "recommended" routing of the E-Brake cables under the main 4" frame cross-tube...
    (Knowing my luck, the 1st speed-bump or hunk of road debris I encounter will take out the cables)

I can see why FFR suggests you route the cables under the frame tube - the radius of the frame tube sends the cables in a straight shot to the parking brake handle clevis for a nice clean pull on them - however this method induces a lot of friction in the mechanism.
    Here's my take on the pulley modification that's been done by many others...

The route from the frame tab, under the proposed pulley mounting, to the handle clevis is not a straight line... there's a bit of a "kink" in the run.
    I needed robust, large diameter pulleys, but something with extended flanges to guide the cables, for 1/8" cable - enter the garage door repair parts aisle at Home Depot.

E-Brake23.jpg

With the pulleys in-hand, I measured the distance between the 4" frame tube, and the bracket on the 1x1 tube - split the difference and drilled a 3/8" hole through the tube. E-Brake16.jpg E-Brake17.jpg

The through-bolt is a bit of custom work. I wanted to create a solid "axle" for the pulley hubs - not having threads where the hubs ride. I used an extra-long bolt with enough un-threaded shank for the hub area.
    - Slide the bolt through the frame
    - Slide the pulleys on, mark the shank at the edge of the pulley hub
    - Remove everything, and cut new threads to your mark
    - Reinstall everything, install the retaining nut, mark the bolt
    - Remove everything, cut the bolt and clean up the end/threads.
    - Reinstall the pulley assembly.
    E-Brake18.jpgE-Brake19.jpg (Sorry about the crappy pictures... my camera wants to focus on the floor, not the object)

Here's where it gets interesting. You will have to install new crimped/swedged ends on the raw cable ends. There's a couple of options.

- I used the FFR supplied clevis parts on the E-brake handle, and crimped new ends on the cables (In another life I did a lot of rigging/flying of pro-sound gear, and have access to the NicoPress tools to make these ends).
    - Imagineer a method, make a crimping die, and swedge the ends on yourself.
    - Purchase a crimping tool
    - Check for a local "Chain & Cable" or "Rigging" supplier. Bring your cables to them and have ends installed.
    - Look for a non-crimp cable end device. Many guys have used something from Lokar.

E-Brake20.jpg I slid the cables through the clevis, marked them, cut them, and crimped on new ends.

E-Brake21.jpg The completed job. (I'm thinking about putting a "skid plate" between the clevis and bracket. The pull isn't quite straight, and a plate would give a smoother slide surface for the clevis than the head of the carriage bolt)

**Note** The passenger side floor/tunnel tin will need a divot dimpled in to clear the bolt head so it'll fit flush.
    Last edited by Fixit; 08-12-2018 at 07:29 AM.

14. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job with the e-brake pulley mod. I don't care for the cables routed under the frame either. Although if you're hitting them like you mentioned, you have bigger problems than the cables. Way too close. You mentioned the Lokar S-8078 clevis some of have used. It helps with an improved angle and also clamps the cables so they don't have to be swaged. But what you did looks great. I don't know about your brakes, but the Wilwoods I used on my setup don't require much cable movement. Basically just tightening the cables and the e-brake engages. I suspect most don't move too much. The pulleys are mainly routing the cable as much as they are turning. Same with the clevis area moving over the head of that carriage bolt.

I am a little nervous about your placement of the Tilton reservoirs. You need to keep the area clear starting at 11 inches in front of the intersection of the 3/4-inch rail and the footbox. The hood gas strut and bracket will drop into that area. Also, I've found the caps shouldn't be more than about 1/4-inch above the top of the 3/4-inch rail. Otherwise they may interfere with the hood. Hard to tell from your pictures, but looks like you may be close on both accounts. Something to check.

Your build is looking great. Lots of good work and informative build thread.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-12-2018 at 06:43 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    As you've described using the Wilwood brakes, the Mustang brakes only take about 3 clicks and the E-Brake is engaged like a rock. (Enough to where I could install & torque my driveshaft adapter on the pinion hub and NOTHING moved!

Tilton Reservoir.
    Yup... I discovered a dyslexia moment in my calculations and template for the bracket. It does sit too "proud" of the 3/4" upper tube, and I should kick it "inboard" about a half inch. Oh well, nothing wasted but some sheetgoods, a few rivets/nutserts - It'll do for bleeding and karting.

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Hydraulic Clutch Pedal Stop Bracket pt.1

I don't know if FFR has changed the layout of the frame tube in the pedalbox area on recent kits.
    Many of the earlier build threads have detailed a modification to the upper 3/4" frame tube for clutch pedal clearance - where you cut the tube, and graft on another piece creating a "void" for the last bit of pedal travel.

I'm using the Forte hydraulic clutch setup and the FFR supplied Wilwood pedals. In my particular instance the clutch pedal lever contacts the 3/4" frame tube with only about 1/8" of travel left to go (and about 1/2" clearance to the front footbox wall). I'll give up 1/8" travel in exchange for not cutting/splicing the frame tube!

This exchange warrants some type of positive stop for the pedal arm. I don't want to contact the frame tube, nor use the cylinder piston as my travel stop. Here's what I came up with...

Started out with some barley pop case cardboard for a template and made two, 1" squares on it. You need to determine the angle of the down tube in relation to "square" of the pedal assembly. Where the frame tube joins the main 2x2 dash crossbar (near the door hinge) is where I calculated from. This isn't brain science or rocket surgery, you're just making a stout bracket.
    StopBlock01.jpgStopBlock02.jpgStopBlock03.jpg

Once the basic shape was established on the template, some mounting slots were cut out, and those were transferred to the 3/4" down tube. Spend a bit of time here, making sure the pedal arm contacts your bracket just before it would hit the frame tube. Mark the frame tube with the bracket slots outlines.
    StopBlock04.jpgStopBlock05.jpgStopBlock06.jpgStopBlock07.jpgStopBlock08.jpg

(no pic) - I drilled the frame tube for 10-32 NutSerts. The holes were placed in the center of the bracket slots for maximum adjustment travel.

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Hydraulic Clutch Pedal Stop Bracket pt.2

The next step was to transfer the template to some steel. I had a chunk of 3/16 mild steel plate in the scrapbox.

The shape was scribed on the plate, some holes drilled, and over to the bandsaw for cutting (this could easily be done with a jigsaw or handsaw as well...). After cutting the edges were eased/deburred, a trip to the blast cabinet for cleanup, and a coat of primer applied. Once dry it was fitted on the car.

StopBlock09.jpgStopBlock10.jpgStopBlock11.jpgStopBlock12.jpgStopBlock13.jpgStopBlock14.jpgStopBlock15.jpg

19. Thanks Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Coyote Clutch Position Switches pt. 1

#9365 will be running a Gen 2 Coyote 5.0 courtesy of Mr. Forte.

I haven't been closely following the Coyote install updates, but something was nagging at me about the clutch position switches - there was talk that Ford has eliminated the need for one of them. Whatever... I'll install both switches and if one isn't needed it'll just be along for the ride.

FFR provides some beautiful laser-cut brackets for the FoMoCo switches that come in the Controls Pack kit for the Coyote...
    However (isn't there always a "however"??) FFR hasn't addressed the needs for a builder that's using a hydraulic clutch. FFR's bracket for the "gray" bottom-travel switch is designed for a cable clutch car.

(There are no modifications needed for the "black" top-travel switch. Install this switch as described in the assembly manual. (I drilled and tapped the adjustment holes for 8-32 machine screws, but the provided self-tappers are fine... OCD machinist moment)).

Modifying the FFR provided "gray" bottom-travel switch bracket(s) for a juice-clutch car:

Switch Mounting:
    Snap the switch into the FFR bracket, and install it on the pedal box as described in the manual. Snug it down in the middle of it's adjustment range. Mark the switch plunger shaft where it's fully seated/engaged.

GraySwitch_01.jpgGraySwitch_02.jpgGraySwitch_03.jpg

Actuator Bracket:
    My idea here was to use the protruding "nub" of the clutch pedal clevis pivot as the anchor point for the bracket. A 2nd smaller point would be used for a hold-down.
    Get the FFR "actuator" bracket (for the cable clutch setup). You'll need to do some layout work.

GraySwitch_04.jpg

Project a line down from the "contact pad" of the bracket down onto the oval shape. I just used a straight-edge on the pad, slid it down onto the oval, and scribed. Then scribe a 2nd line perpendicular to this, through the center of the original hole, off the end of the oval.

GraySwitch_05.jpg

This is where it gets a little difficult, and you'll need your "X-Ray Specs" from the cereal box.
    You're going to need to SWAG where the center of the clevis pivot pin winds up on the switch attachment bracket when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. Make a mark on the bracket where this point is.

GraySwitch_06.jpg

With the clutch pedal fully depressed, hold the FFR bracket in place against the switch - pushing it in fully. Using your previous mark, transfer the pivot pin location to the oval part of the bracket. You need to be as accurate as possible here, keeping the bracket parallel and perpendicular.

GraySwitch_07.jpg

Back on the bench, finish your intersecting line on the oval part

GraySwitch_09.jpgGraySwitch_08.jpg

The pivot pin is 3/8". Get ready for the scary part... next post "Pt. 2".

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Coyote Clutch Position Switches pt. 2

On my car, the new hole needed for the clevis pivot pin "nub" wound up leaving only about 1/16" of meat between it and the original hole.
    This is where it gets a bit scary, as you don't want to tear-out this little bit when drilling.
    I recommend you sneak up on the final size.
    Start with a 5/16, then step up through the drill index to 3/8". Go Slow, use some oil/cutting fluid, and make as clean a hole as you can.
    GraySwitch_10.jpg

From the center of your new 3/8" hole, mark and drill a 3/16" hole, 9/16" aft/rearward on the oval. This will be your attachment hole for the mounting screw.
    GraySwitch_11.jpg

Remove the clevis from the top of the clutch pedal arm and actuator rod. Be careful with the snap-ring or you'll find out why they also call them "Jesus Clips" (don't ask me how I know). Slide the pin through your bracket and into the clevis. Mark the clevis for drilling.
    GraySwitch_12.jpg

Drill the clevis for a 10-32 hole (#21), and cut threads into the clevis.
    GraySwitch_13.jpg

Reassemble the clevis and actuator rod back onto the pedal arm (You get a 2nd chance to find out why they call them "Jesus Clips", unless you bought a spare from the previous chance)
    GraySwitch_14.jpg

Using a 10-32 x 1/2" machine screw, a small flat washer (shim), and a drop of Loctite, install your new bracket onto the clutch pedal clevis. You'll see how the bracket registers over the pivot pin "nub", the washer takes up the difference, and it locks down tight.
    GraySwitch_15.jpgGraySwitch_16.jpgGraySwitch_17.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work and detail. Couple comments.

No question FFR has changed the frame or the pedal box location or something to eliminate the frame interference with the clutch pedal. I guarantee those of us who dealt with that weren't cutting the frame, notching something, or whatever to gain 1/8-inch. The clutch arm was hitting with several inches of clutch travel remaining. The remaining 1/8-inch will easily be offset by insulation, carpet, etc. So effectively there's no interference. Glad to see confirmation that's really been fixed. Your stop looks good. Where it's positioned, or even if needed, will be determined by your clutch setup and mainly the master cylinder/slave cylinder combination. You want the maximum clutch pedal movement possible while still not driving the slave beyond it's rated travel. I've found that with the right combination, even with the pedal pushed hard against the back of the footbox, the master isn't against the stops and the slave hasn't exceeded its rated travel. Your stop hopefully allows as much travel as possible. Less travel = increased effort.

For the Coyote clutch switches, I've seen from multiple build threads and also from looking at the most current Gen 2 instructions (Ford and Factory Five) that the top clutch switch has been eliminated with the 2017 version. Nice work on the bottom clutch switch to make the FFR cable setup brackets work with the hydraulic clutch. Will be doing something similar with my Coupe build.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Nice work and detail. Couple comments.

No question FFR has changed the frame or the pedal box location or something to eliminate the frame interference with the clutch pedal. I guarantee those of us who dealt with that weren't cutting the frame, notching something, or whatever to gain 1/8-inch. The clutch arm was hitting with several inches of clutch travel remaining. The remaining 1/8-inch will easily be offset by insulation, carpet, etc. So effectively there's no interference. Glad to see confirmation that's really been fixed. Your stop looks good. Where it's positioned, or even if needed, will be determined by your clutch setup and mainly the master cylinder/slave cylinder combination. You want the maximum clutch pedal movement possible while still not driving the slave beyond it's rated travel. I've found that with the right combination, even with the pedal pushed hard against the back of the footbox, the master isn't against the stops and the slave hasn't exceeded its rated travel. Your stop hopefully allows as much travel as possible. Less travel = increased effort.

For the Coyote clutch switches, I've seen from multiple build threads and also from looking at the most current Gen 2 instructions (Ford and Factory Five) that the top clutch switch has been eliminated with the 2017 version. Nice work on the bottom clutch switch to make the FFR cable setup brackets work with the hydraulic clutch. Will be doing something similar with my Coupe build.
    I am not as far along but my experience matches this, no meaningful interference with the wilwood clutch pedal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering how I would mount the bottom clutch switch in my MK4 when I read John’s solution. After a bit more thought and lots of measurement, I believe its possible to switch out the clevis pin for a longer, 1”, pin, move the switch mount closer to its front limit and attach the actuator to the clevis using its existing 3/8” hole. I’ll still have to drill and tap for a small screw to keep the actuator from rotating but but it will be securily captured under the clevis pin retaining ring. I’ll let you know how it works out.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#93890a149/=1e6u2bw

Post Thanks / Like
    If I recall correctly I contemplated using the original hole before deciding upon drilling a new one.
    I think you'll run out of switch travel (it'll be buried) before the clutch pedal is fully depressed, and there's not enough slot in the mounting bracket to compensate...

Check it out and let us know - it would save a bit of work!

Post Thanks / Like

Good news re the clutch switch mount, bad news regarding frame interference

First the good news. Using the switch mount and actuator from the FFR Clutch Quadrant seems to work well. The clevis pin Wilwood uses for the clutch pedal has an effective length of 1” so all I had to do was eliminate the brass spacers Wilwood had behind the retaining rings to have room to capture the actuator. After that I followed John’s lead and used a machine screw to keep the actuator from rotating. The only new part needed was the 8-32 machine screw I had left over from a previous job. There’s plenty of adjustment range left in the switch mount for when I correct the frame interference.

07ED3997-29A1-41D3-9A4C-A9B21C2544DD.jpgFC0A5808-28ED-4E9D-90A8-16E6C51A9BA9.jpg

The bad news is that, at least for my kit, received March of this year, FFR hasn’t corrected the problem of the frame interfering with the brake pedal travel. It’s preventing the last ~ 1.5 inches of pedal travel. My next step will be to review how Paul and others corrected the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    beers.gif
    (I hope you factored in that the pivot pin is going to move aft another 1/2" when you get the frame clearance issue resolved...)
    Last edited by Fixit; 08-20-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No big updates to report (yet).
    Been doing a lot of fitting of the rear cockpit & trunk area tins. I'd like to have a big batch of panels ready for a paint session. I also made my own "upper/inner trunk" panels from some sheetstock (edwardb?). This will make carpeting the trunk area much easier.

I used my air nibbler to rough cut the panels. I love this tool, other than there is one downside - it ejects these little razor-sharp 1/2-moons as a byproduct of cutting. After cutting about 4 linear feet of material there was approximately 387,456,274 of these little buggers all over the shop floor. The upside is that I'm forced to take a break and do a good cleanup job.

So as a bonus #9365 got outside for some sunshine.
    Chassis_01.jpgChassis_02.jpgChassis_03.jpgChassis_04.jpgChassis_05.jpgChassis_06.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good John! What did you paint the bottom part of your calipers with? I can get the POR15 caliper paint to stick pretty good to the top parts, but the bottom seems to be 'extra shiny' and doesn't respond to sanding.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm fortunate to have a sandblast cabinet in the 40 Watt Garage, so the brackets & mounts got a session in there to rough 'em up and give some "tooth" for the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm fortunate to have a sandblast cabinet in the 40 Watt Garage, so the brackets & mounts got a session in there to rough 'em up and give some "tooth" for the paint.
    Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    beers.gif
    (I hope you factored in that the pivot pin is going to move aft another 1/2" when you get the frame clearance issue resolved...)
    Yes, there was plenty of adjustment room. I took the approach of notching the clutch pedal enough for the pedal to depress to 1/4” from the front panel of the drivers footbox. I’m still not out of adjustment range of the switch mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an off the cuff question...

Up till now everything on the build/assembly has been going great. FFR's product has been fabulous, the secondary vendor's stuff is great, and the car is going together without a hitch.
    Here's the question:
    So far the most difficult aspect of the build has been the "management" of the sheetmetal! A bunch of weird sized & shaped pieces that don't stack or nest together, and once you've done paint & prep work on them you need a warehouse of storage to keep them nice or out of harm's way.

(I've found myself Cleco'ing them back on the car for "storage", and removing as needed for an assembly step)

Anyone else feel this is true?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with ya John. I've got panels all over the floor and just a matter of time before one gets stepped on or falls. I've thought about putting them back on the car....all but the floor panels and the upper trunk panel, as these are a little harder to get in and scratch the powder coat on the frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wrap them back up in the shipping paper. Write the name of the piece on the paper. Think about the order in which you are going to need them again, then box them or stack them and get them way out of the way.

- Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    After the rear brake line job, I started on the Wilwood pedal assembly.

One of the things that has concerned me was that others have had interference issues with the 3/4"sq. upper chassis/body tube and the clutch pedal (travel).

I jigged up the pedal assembly, bolted it in, and my clutch pedal is at 98% of travel (before hitting the footbox tin) when it contacts the 3/4sq. tube.
    Pedals02.jpg

I'm not going to cut the tube, splice, bolt/weld, whatever at this rate. I'll imagineer an adjustable stop-bolt off the 3/4" tube, and play with the throw adjustment at the slave & master cylinder.

The Wilwood pedal assembly went in without a hitch... (the directions suck) but it's in there. Also in these pics is the Forte's Performance hydraulic clutch master cylinder (Wilwood piece).
    Pedals01.jpgPedals03.jpgPedals04.jpgPedals05.jpgPedals06.jpgPedals07.jpgPedals08.jpg

Next step will be Cleco'ing the DS footbox tins back in place and determining hard line routing out of the footbox.
    Hey John. When you put in your Master Cylinders (all 3), did you have to shorten any of them before you installed? Directions say to cut 5/8" off, and I'm finding that's just about right. Did you do the same? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup... If I recall correctly 5/8" is about what needed to be trimmed.
    (Don't forget to thread a nut on the shaft BEFORE cutting. The nut will be a "thread-chaser" and clean up the threads after cutting/dressing the raw end)

38. Thanks toadster thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Firewall Preparation

Update Time...

Here's a word of warning to builders that have "options" on their kits... such as wipers, heat/defrost, and Coyote engine... Don't mount your firewall until you have "paged ahead" in the assembly manual and made provisions for these options!!

I'm sure it's possible to punch/cut the needed holes in the firewall for these options after it has been "glued & screwed" to the frame, but why??
    Each of the aforementioned options "invade" the dictated space described in the assembly manual. Measure twice, cut once.

Heater:
    FFR/Vintage Air supplies a very nice template for cutting the firewall... except it isn't quite perfect. The holes for the inlet/outlet aren't quite in the right spots. The pic shows just how much "off" the inlet/outlet holes are. Measure twice... cut Once.
    Heater01.jpg

Wipers:
    The wiper motor gets whatever space is left over when the heater box is mounted. The basic instructions are to mount the motor with the drive cable pointed in a smooth arc to where the wiper arm boxes will be. This tucks the wiper motor in the left-most corner of the firewall. I wasn't satisfied with mounting the motor on the .040" aluminum panel. A little flimsy for my tastes. I made up a mounting bracket for the motor that ties it to the major crossmember of the dash.

Wiper_01.jpgWiper_02.jpgWiper_03.jpgWiper_04.jpgWiper_05.jpgWiper_06.jpgWiper_08.jpgWiper_12.jpgWiper_11.jpg

Last edited by Fixit; 09-02-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Firewall Electrical Provisions

Firewall - Electrics

The wiring for the main harness & engine sending units, then the wipers, heater, & front body lighting all require a path through the firewall. Add in the necessary feeds from the Ford Performance ECU for the Coyote engine and there's a lot of wire that needs to get from the engine bay to the cockpit!!

FFR does provide a detailed description of where to punch the holes for the wiring grommets, but (again) has forgotten about "options". If you punch the holes for the Coyote ECU harness, and mount the underhood fusebox as described - it FOULS the connection to the heater core for the coolant hoses.

(again... measure twice, cut once.)

I had to sneak the Coyote ECU harness hole a bit to the driver's side, and mount the underhood fusebox a bit forward of the prescribed location so there's free-air to the heater core fittings. (If someone was "cookbooking" this thing together pagebypage they'd be in a problem).

Firewall_01.jpgFirewall_02.jpgFirewall_03.jpgFirewall_04.jpgFirewall_05.jpgFirewall_06.jpgFirewall_07.jpgFirewall_08.jpg.

I also replaced the FFR "nut & bolt" solution with NutSerts for the engine computer

ECU33.jpgECU34.jpg

** Tip for drilling sheetstock with a holesaw**
    Securely clamp the workpiece to the bench with a "sacrificial" block of wood under. Pre-drill through the stock with the diameter of the pilot-bit of the holesaw into the block. Chuck up the holesaw, and touch-off on the workpiece BACKWARDS a few dozen turns! This will start the "groove" the holesaw will cut on. Stop the drill, reverse to the "correct/RH" rotation, and cut the hole. This will help minimize "wander" of the holesaw and give you a clean hole.
    It's all about speed and feed using a holesaw - the balance between cutting cleanly or chatter/wander. Using a variable speed drill motor greatly helps.
    Last edited by Fixit; 08-29-2018 at 06:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Neat Tools

Took a break on #9365 for the Holiday weekend... putting my energies towards lake cabin maintenance (I'll never run out of jobs!)

We're having a MAJOR Thunder-Boomer up here in the Northland, so I decided to spend some time surfing around and seeing how others are doing on their builds.

One of my new best friends is this little deburring tool.
    deburr.jpg
    General Tools - Deburr

I didn't have my "tins" powder coated, I'll be spraying them at home - with either paint or some variant of Lizard/Bedliner Goo.
    I previously detailed how I'm using either holesaws or electrical fitting punches to cut the holes in the various panels. As good as these are (or any method) they'll still leave a razor-sharp burr on the rim of the hole.
    Enter the above tool. For less than $20 and a few seconds this guy will shave off the burr and leave a nice 45deg chamfer on the edge.
    (It takes a little practice to learn the angle to hold, and the correct pressure/stroke, but man does it work sweet!)

I ran the tool along every edge (inside & out) of all the panels. It really makes a difference - no more little finger slices, and the edges are ready for prep/paint.

Another inexpensive shop tool:
    Estate/Garage sales.
    Sometimes you can score big on tools (usually not) but there's a chance.
    The main reason I'll stop at one is bath towels & bedding. For just a few bucks you can come away with a stack of new shop towels & rags.
    Last edited by Fixit; 09-02-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip on the deburring tool, I just ordered one on Amazon!
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Steering Shaft & Russ Thompson Turn Signals Pt. 1

#9365 is a March-ish 2018 kit.
    FFR has done some modifications to the pedal box area in kits of this date or later. The 3/4" frame tube (that previously fouled the Wilwood clutch pedal) has been moved outboard, granting full clearance for the clutch pedal arm, and the pillow block mounting bracket for the upper steering shaft has been reworked.

These changes to the frame design necessitated Russ to re-design his mounting system for the turn signal kit he provides. If you are going to purchase his kit, make note of the build date of your frame, and contact Russ to ensure you get the correct version of the turn signal setup.

Here's a breakdown of the installation of the turn signal setup. From unboxing to bolted on the car was less than an hour. I'm sure there will be "final tweaking" once my dashboard panel is in place, but the core of the installation is done.

RT_Signals_01.png
    Here's the parts laid out in an exploded view - adapter bracket, hdwe, FFR pillow block, RT mounting tube

RT_Signals_02.png
    The parts assembled. The pillow block fasteners are just "snug"... you can still move stuff around with some effort, but the parts will stay in place.

RT_Signals_03.png New mounting bracket, with countersunk fasteners for the pillow block

RT_Signals_04.png
    (Yellow tape on the column support bracket for clarity). The assembly mocked up and in place on the car.

**Note** The steering shaft is not perpendicular/90degs to the FFR frame bracket welded to the 2x2 tube.
    (RT's adapter bracket has the holes for the pillow block mounting drilled "canted", anticipating the average angle of the steering shaft.)

This is where you need to pay attention.
    - Get your RT assembly jigged up and snug, but still moveable. Slide the RT tube/bracket & FFR pillow block assembly onto the steering shaft, and get the RT mounting plate "squared up" to the FFR frame bracket. (I moved the RT bracket just a touch aft of contact with the 2x2 cross-tube, for mounting washer/fastener clearance).
    - The steering shaft should just slip through the pillow block and the nylon RT bushing with NO binding. Slide it on & off a few times. NO binding and the RT mounting plate should "square up" with the FFR frame bracket every time.
    - Tighten the FFR pillow block to the RT bracket - and RE-TEST the slip fit on the steering shaft. If something moved, re-adjust and try again.
    - Mark the mounting holes on the FFR frame bracket.

RT_Signals_05.png
    Mounting holes marked and center punched for drilling
    RT_Signals_06.png
    Center punch marks.

RT_Signals_07.png
    I had an extra-long 1/4" drill bit. This enabled me to drill the pilot hole for mounting without removing the firewall panel. If your firewall is permanently installed, a 90deg angle drill or an extra-long bit will probably be needed to drill a pilot hole.

RT_Signals_08.png
    Once a pilot hole has been drilled from above, you can open up the holes to the required 5/16" from below.

RT_Signals_09.png
    Mounting holes drilled and deburred

RT_Signals_10.png
    Pillow block and turn signal mounting tube installed.

(The above very closely parallel the installation directions provided by Russ. I've just added my twist & detail to the installation.)
    Last edited by Fixit; 09-08-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage - Mk4 Build - Steering Shaft & Russ Thompson Turn Signals Pt. 2

These are some detail pics of the installation.
    The steering hub is not in it's final/fully-seated-on-the-shaft position!

The final position and length of the steering shaft & RT mounting tube is yet to be determined. It may/will require adjustment once I get the dashboard installed.

This option is worth every penny. Russ has done a beautiful job making a very well engineered and easy to install product.

RT_Signals_11.pngRT_Signals_12.pngRT_Signals_13.pngRT_Signals_14.pngRT_Signals_15.png

45. Likes toadster liked this post
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast