Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  159
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 40 Watt Garage & #9365

Post Thanks / Like
    Well #9365 (Otto) survived the winter OK.
    Mother Nature actually got back on her meds and allowed us a reasonable Saturday a week or so back, and the cover came off.

A check of tire pressures, fluid levels, and turn the key. Went for a 60 mile run to visit a buddy and check on his C10 Chev Pickup build.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like

New Addition to the 40 Watt Garage

A huge Thank You to my Chevelle Club buddies Chris S, Chris P, Bryan, and Mitch for giving up the better part of a Saturday to help me out.
    Another Thank You to my wife for putting together some chow & cold drinks for us when we got home.

I scored a killer deal on a 4-post, but had to move it about 25 miles to my shop. Luckily both garages had 8' doors, but we did have to do some disassembly.
    The lift move went off (really) without a hitch. We did eventually wind up on "Plan Revision 4.5", after exploring/trying the options. Maybe a pinched finger, but no-one got hurt, and no damage to the lift or either garage. Success!

What it came down to was removing the "Ladder Lock" nuts, the Cable retention nuts, and removing the top-plates of the posts. With this done we could Squeeeeek the posts (lifting just a touch/taking the weight) with a floor jack) under the overhead door frame/weatherstrip on plastic sheet sliders. Then a careful slow-dance up the ramps and onto the trailer. Rinse & Repeat on the other end at the 40 Watt Garage.
    After the crew got it reassembled in the 40 Watt and "close" they hit the road, and I spent the next several hours doing the setup leveling and cable adjustments.

This has been a long overdue addition to the shop, and it couldn't have happened without the help of the my Northstar Chevelle Club family.
    Lift01.jpeg

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

3. Likes Al_C, Fman, GTBradley, Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice John! Best of all you just made room for another project! Allow me to suggest an LS powered ‘35 Pickup. Your Chevelle club friends gave you a free pass on the Coyote Cobra but if you don’t get back into the bow tie fold they may be blackballing you 😉

Jeff

F7E02333-0A81-459C-87BA-E9A8558B5416.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I have the identical post to put on my build thread. I found a four post recently and my son and I picked it up with a uhaul trailer. It really wasn’t that bad to break down and set up. I did though have a bunch modifications I had to do to my door tracks and roof support. It’s really nice to get the roadster/El Camino up and safely out of the way, isn’t it?
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    We didn't have to really "break it down"... just get it down to 94-1/2" to clear the door gaskets!
    I hauled it on a flatbed car trailer. With the caster kit on the lift, we just used the onboard winch to gently bump it up. The legs didn't clear the trailer tires, so a floor jack under the crossbeam, up a few inches, over the tires, then back on the casters.

My ceiling is just under 10', and when I had the door replaced a few years ago I had them install the tracks as tight to the ceiling as practical (with a traditional opener). If I'd gone with a sidewinder/shaft drive opener the door might have gone up a few more inches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice John! Best of all you just made room for another project! Allow me to suggest an LS powered ‘35 Pickup. Your Chevelle club friends gave you a free pass on the Coyote Cobra but if you don’t get back into the bow tie fold they may be blackballing you ��
    Quit stirring the pot!!!
    (I really don't need another hot rod with zero cargo space and tight quarters inside... although A/C would be nice... hmmmmmmm.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Quit stirring the pot!!!
    (I really don't need another hot rod with zero cargo space and tight quarters inside... although A/C would be nice... hmmmmmmm.)
    The tight quarters excuse won’t fly anymore…the cab is being stretched about 5 inches so even the big and tall will fit!

Just stirring

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve seen them hauled that way, I didn’t have that big a trailer or the adequately sized cojones to try it. I’m hoping to get some swing out (carriage) doors as my overhead can’t be used when the car is at full height. I’ll post pictures later but you should see the ramp bolts that are nearly cut in half on mine. Apparently, the “professional installation” was none to concerned with safety as the the lift cables ran on top of them. Didn’t hurt the cables but the previous owner had no idea what was happening inside the mechanism until we took it apart.

I think you should take the truck, aren’t you running out if things to do anyway? My neighbor has a 1961 Lincoln Continental for sale. Suicide doors and unrestored with low miles and in very good shape - I can’t help but think, hmm…I do have more space now…
    Last edited by GTBradley; 06-20-2022 at 10:35 AM.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like

40 Watt Garage is relocating

Well sheit!!

Lots been happening at the "40 Watt"... as in it's pretty much gone! The last few months have been selling a "up north" lake home, buying a "in town" lake home, selling the primary house (40 Watt Garage location), and MOVING 27 YEARS WORTH OF CRAP!!

The new house pushes all the buttons except having a crappy garage.
    aspen.jpg
    It is literally for parking cars, nothing else... no room for a bench - nothing. Caviat on purchase with the wife was "I get to build a shop to my specs"... "Agreed".
    I have got all my tools, supplies, whatever in boxes and totes. The lift is sold to a buddy, the compressor is on a pallet, and I'm tripping over boxes and trying to find stuff.
    Meeting with a builder tomorrow to finalize some details on a 32 x 36 shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Well sheit!!

Lots been happening at the "40 Watt"... as in it's pretty much gone! The last few months have been selling a "up north" lake home, buying a "in town" lake home, selling the primary house (40 Watt Garage location), and MOVING 27 YEARS WORTH OF CRAP!!

The new house pushes all the buttons except having a crappy garage.
    aspen.jpg
    It is literally for parking cars, nothing else... no room for a bench - nothing. Caviat on purchase with the wife was "I get to build a shop to my specs"... "Agreed".
    I have got all my tools, supplies, whatever in boxes and totes. The lift is sold to a buddy, the compressor is on a pallet, and I'm tripping over boxes and trying to find stuff.
    Meeting with a builder tomorrow to finalize some details on a 32 x 36 shop.
    Wow, that's a big deal ... and a lot of work. I'm sure I could drive your car for you while you're so busy Seriously, good luck with all the disruption, drop me a PM when there's time ... intrigued by the 'in town' lake location.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like

The "New" 40 Watt Garage

I am so terrible about checking in over here on FFR...

Last November we broke ground on my new shop. Even with MN winter weather, progress has been steady (we have some tough tradesmen up here).
    It's 32' wide, 36' deep, with 10'6" ceilings. I had to go around & 'round with the City on the final structure height, due to "sight-lines from the street" and height of the house rules, but we got it settled. The pictures take you from ground breaking to last weekend.

40Watt_001.jpg40Watt_003.jpg40Watt_005.jpg40Watt_011.jpg40Watt_014.jpg

40Watt_017.jpg40Watt_019.jpg40Watt_021.jpg40Watt_022.png40Watt_027.png

13. Thanks flyboyjy thanked for this post
    Likes 460.465USMC, GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The "New" 40 Watt Garage... pt. 2

The builders did an overall prime on the walls & ceiling, then paint on only the ceiling. Over the last week
    Mrs. Fixit and I did the wall painting, and trim out on the electrical.

40Watt_028.png40Watt_032.png40Watt_036.png40Watt_037.png

15. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just beautiful, John. Looks like a fantastic space! Congratulations on having all that work behind you - and lots of room for a new project!
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen some of your updates on Facebook also John. It's looking fantastic and I'm really happy for you! Great call going with the floor heat; I considered doing that as well and have serious regrets for not doing so. One piece of advice...DO NOT START SANDING FIBERGLASS IN THERE! You'll never get rid of all the dust

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    #9365 survived another MN winter.
    After a "fluids check", tire pressure check, and a dusting, I disconnected the battery tender, hopped in, turned the key, and VROOOM.

(I love that sound!! After all winter with no hydrocarbon therapy it is just fabulous)

Went for a 60 or so mile shake-down/warm up/smiles per gallon run, topped off the tank, and wound up at our local Drive-in restaurant. Every Thursday they host an informal "Cruise-In" for HotRods. All makes, models, era's, run whatcha brung.

That was last Thursday... 85 degrees outside!... Come Saturday we're at 31 degrees and it's SNOWING again! AAARRRRGGGGG

Post Thanks / Like
    Fixit, I’ve got the same situation as with buying a complete IRS out of a 2022 mustang. Looking to reuse the cables and reading your solution. The one question I have is what did you use on the new end going into the hand brake? The piece you cut off can’t be reused, can it? Thanks, this is exactly what I’ve been needing.

This is what you wrote.

Mustang.
    (I purchased a complete rotor-to-rotor rear axle assembly - a zero mile "take-out" unit - that included the springs, shocks, ABS sensors, and E-Brake cables).

Step 1 - using a lineman's pliers or big sidecutters, nip off the handle-end swedged knob on the end of the inner cable (NOT the end pictured above!) Slide the inner cable out of the sheath and set aside for later.
    This should leave you with two outer cable sheaths something like this... Attachment 91141

Step 2 - Removing the un-needed mounting brackets. The only bracket you need to save is the one about 6" from the caliper - everything else can go.
    Attachment 91142 Mark the bracket, and cut off the ear for the ABS sensor cable Click image for larger version.

Name: E-Brake05.jpg
    Views: 344
    Size: 441.6 KB
    ID: 91143Click image for larger version.

Name: E-Brake06.jpg
    Views: 284
    Size: 444.0 KB
    ID: 91144

The brackets are very easy to remove from the sheath. Clamp the bracket in the vise, and use a BIG straight-blade screwdriver to coax the rolled area open
    Click image for larger version.

Name: E-Brake07.jpg
    Views: 323
    Size: 379.4 KB
    ID: 91145Click image for larger version.

Name: E-Brake08.jpg
    Views: 343
    Size: 378.7 KB
    ID: 91146Click image for larger version.

Name: E-Brake09.jpg
    Views: 319
    Size: 465.2 KB
    ID: 91147 When you're done, you should have a pile of brackets...Click image for larger version.

Name: E-Brake10.jpg
    Views: 319
    Size: 364.4 KB
    ID: 91148

Step 3 - Shortening the cable sheaths
    The chassis end "fitting" (grey plastic) of the cable sheath is not glued/swedged/whatever on the end of the sheath.
    Click image for larger version.

Name: E-Brake11.jpg
    Views: 337
    Size: 289.4 KB
    ID: 91149
    It is threaded onto the outer jacket, and is removeable (!). It is however Left-Hand thread. A really good grip on the sheath and a twist to the right will spin the fitting off the sheath (sorry, no detail pic of them off the cable).
    - Remove the ends and test fit the cable ends in the holes on the frame mounting tab. (I needed to file the holes a bit for them to snap in)
    - Remount the cables on the caliper end(s), and snake them cables through the frame, and through the mounting tab on the chassis.
    - In my instance, the DS side went through the bottom hole, PS through the top.

Play around with this a bit, think about routing, clearance, smooth bends/radii, and potential hazards from suspension parts. Also consider locations on frame tubes for mounting a retainer clip or two for the cables.

- When you've determined your routing, mark the cable sheaths at the point where they go through the frame tab holes, and remove.

My cables wound up being 42" on the Driver's side, 36" on the Passenger
    Measured from here (caliper end): Click image for larger version.

Name: E-Brake12.jpg
    Views: 348
    Size: 585.5 KB
    ID: 91150 to here Click image for larger version.

Name: E-Brake13.jpg
    Views: 304
    Size: 612.2 KB
    ID: 91151Click image for larger version.

Name: E-Brake14.jpg
    Views: 290
    Size: 558.9 KB
    ID: 91152

I recommend using a hacksaw with a 32 tpi blade to cut the cable sheaths. There's the outer jacket, the metal core, then the inner sleeve. Go easy on it and they cut through very cleanly.

Re-install the grey end fittings on your newly shortened sheaths, and slide the inner cables back in. Install them on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the ebrake cable the bracket in picture 1 mounted to the spindle/knuckle top-did you tap the spindle hole or use a self tapping flange bolt in the existing hole? My spindle hole is not threaded. Thanks.
    BUDFIVE
    Complete kit order 8/28/2023
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Fixit, I’ve got the same situation as with buying a complete IRS out of a 2022 mustang. Looking to reuse the cables and reading your solution. The one question I have is what did you use on the new end going into the hand brake? The piece you cut off can’t be reused, can it? Thanks, this is exactly what I’ve been needing.

I was lucky to have a local hardware store (one of the old good ones... that has everything but space) that has an entire aisle with those pull out bins of "stuff". They had what I think were called "cable end stops" (Hillman). Basically a round slug of rod, hole through it, and a cross-drilled Allen set screw to pinch/grab the cable. A couple dollars.

For the ebrake cable the bracket in picture 1 mounted to the spindle/knuckle top-did you tap the spindle hole or use a self tapping flange bolt in the existing hole? My spindle hole is not threaded. Thanks.

All brackets used were OEM/as-received in their original locations from/on the Mustang cables, and secured to their OEM/original mounting locations. If yours aren't threaded, I'd probably use a a self-tapper hex-head flange bolt.
    Last edited by Fixit; 12-22-2023 at 06:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As you can see in my sig there's a question mark after "done"...
    I scrounged these switch bezels from a couple of '65/66 Galaxie's wayyy back in the infancy of my build. Never got around to doing anything with them until now.

I had to do a bit of machining (lathe) on them to knock off the locating pin and centering "taper" on the back. I also had to do a little work on the retaining nuts for the switches, but I like the results.
    A little "retro" to the dash.
    bezels2.jpg bezels1.jpg

23. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    I like your frame dolly very much! Do you have plans for it? Would you do anything different?
    Thanks!!
    Craig M.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314