FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3/17/2018 complete date for my MK4......delivery by April! (Build Complete)

Post Thanks / Like

3/17/2018 complete date for my MK4......delivery by April! (Build Complete)

Hi all,

My Name is Steve and I'm from Long Island, N.Y.

Like all of you, I'm really excited on getting started on my build. I have asked many questions to a lot of builders here and I hope I have not worn out my welcome but thank you none the less for all the answers you have all given me so far. Very much appreciated. I've decided to go old school my self with 15" wheels and a set of AVON tires with GoodYear lettering from Tirestickers. I'm also going with the IRS rear and ordered my Wilwood brake kit from Gordon Levy. (Thanks Duke) I've opted for both power steering and Power Brakes (Hydroboost) and will be getting my Engine setup from Mike Forte. I'm going with an EFI 427 short block and a Tremec TKO 600 w/Hydraulic clutch. I look forward to any comments as my build progresses as many of you have gone through the questions I know I'll face throughout the build. I'm not new at turning a wrench but every project has it's challenges so I appreciate any feedback along the way. This forum is a great place to find so many answers so Thank you again for all who have posted their builds throughout the years. This place is a great resource.

With all that being said, any and all comments are always welcome.

Looking forward to all the support from the forum.

Sincerely,

Steve

2. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will be here before you know it. Look forward to following along. Sounds like a great plan.
    I have the tirestickers on my car. They are a nice touch.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Scott............your MK4 is one of inspiration. It came out beautiful. I'm completing the build with my two sons so that in itself I look forward too. Should be a memory of a Lifetime. They are 17 and 19 so I'm hoping they focus enough on the car not the girls. I'll keep you posted!! Lol........

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Steve! Welcome to the club!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, looking forward to the experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome!
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! You’re gonna have a blast building it.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can’t wait..........Garage is all prepped! Spending as much time as I can with the wife now. I think once it comes, that might change.... lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got off the phone with Factory Five to go over my order. All has been confirmed. Completion date is 3/17 so all is on-time! Contacted Stewart Transport and we are looking at the end of the month for delivery!! I'm excited now..........soon the fun will begin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevant View Post
    Can’t wait..........Garage is all prepped! Spending as much time as I can with the wife now. I think once it comes, that might change.... lol.
    Its a balancing act with your time. Take it slow and enjoy the build, you will be done before you know it. Congratulations on the new kit!
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Completion date is 3/17 so all is on-time!
    Wow, that's a quick build by FFR ??

-EDIT-
    ignore me, just saw the start date on this thread.
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you....... trying store up my sleep hours now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a pic at FFR, getting ready to be picked up Monday. Should have her by late next week!!

IMG_20180329_083537850.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Wilwood brakes from Gordon Levy should be in today. I’ll start my safety wire once I put them together. I’ll attach some pics of my progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brakes were delivered as promised. Figured I would start working on what I could. I went ahead and drilled out the rear caliper mounting holes to 3/8" and tapped the hole with a 7/16-14 tap to thread. Rear caliper will be mounted to the spindle with Gordon's bracket which is pictured getting ready for POR15 Caliper paint. I'll go ahead and mount the hats to the rotors and complete the safety wire. Keeping my self busy until my delivery!!

IMG_2584.JPGIMG_2585.JPGIMG_2586.JPGIMG_2591.JPGIMG_2592.jpeg

(I'm not painting the car the color of the model on my bench in the pic, just figured I'd share that now. )
    Last edited by stevant; 04-02-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just completed the assembly and the safety wire on the front rotors.....tomorrow night I'll do the rear.
    Rotor.JPGRotor1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool Steve. Have a great build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi all,

Wilwood brake kit from Gordon Levy. (Thanks Duke) I've opted for both power steering and Power Brakes (Hydroboost) and will be getting my Engine setup from Mike Forte. I'm going with an EFI 427 short block and a Tremec TKO 600 w/Hydraulic clutch.

Steve
    Congrats Steve, sounds a lot like my order. Looking forward to seeing you go through it. I can't help nearly as much as these amazing guys, but I will be rooting you on!
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you get word that your kit has been picked up yet? I'm really Jonesing to hear any word on my kit, which was supposed to have been completed on 3/24.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told it was to be picked up on Monday, but have not heard from the driver yet. I’m going to check with Stewart today.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should have my kit by this Saturday!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Confirmed with FFR, car was loaded on the truck today. Stewart should be delivering on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Confirmed with FFR, car was loaded on the truck today. Stewart should be delivering on Saturday.
    So Stewart's driver hasn't contacted you yet? I was told that the driver would be contacting me the day the kit was loaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told the same, still nothing from the driver. They just told me Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up my rear brake rotor assembly last night. Much tighter space to run your safety wires with these. My frame stand is all ready for an anticipated Saturday delivery!!!
    Rear Brake.jpegRear brakes.JPGStand.JPG

PS - I did label my rotors as they are directional.
    Last edited by stevant; 04-04-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m going to have my aluminum panels powder coated in clear. I’m thinking I should drill out all the panels at first so I can bring them to get powder coated all at the same time. I have read that some have went that path. Sounds right? A lot of cleco’s but at least the monotonous drilling will be out of the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still no phone call from Stewart...... called their office. Will hopefully know more tomorrow. Appears to be MIA at the moment. Saturday is when it should be delivered.......or will it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m going to have my aluminum panels powder coated in clear. I’m thinking I should drill out all the panels at first so I can bring them to get powder coated all at the same time. I have read that some have went that path. Sounds right? A lot of cleco’s but at least the monotonous drilling will be out of the way.
    Yes, that's the best way to do it IMO. Fit and drill first, then powder coat. I like as many clecos as most. But you don't need any more because of that approach. You don't need one in every hole. When you're doing a group of parts, like the cockpit, you'll have clecos in multiple parts. But once that group is done and you move to another area, take those out. I have probably about 75 clecos. Some have more, some have way less.

Just FWIW, not sure of clear only PC. You'll need to do quite a bit of work to get the panels presentable. Defeats a little of the reason to PC in my opinion. They have dye marking that even when cleaned leaves a bit of a shadow. There will be some scratches on them, etc. Maybe have them done silver if you're going for a bare aluminum look.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-05-2018 at 07:42 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still no phone call from Stewart...... called their office. Will hopefully know more tomorrow. Appears to be MIA at the moment. Saturday is when it should be delivered.......or will it?
    There seems to be some issue at Stewart with personell. I was told by Jolene that nothing was picked up on Monday, but a driver finished loading Tuesday evening, but that he had to head to Phoenix due to an illness in the family, and that they were sending another driver there this week to pickup kits for Texas and the Midwest (which I hope includes mine). She again said the driver would contact me once he completes the loading process. Im not sure im following all that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not following it either. I’ll let you know what I hear today.

Thanks for the input Paul regarding the PC, always appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just received my phone call from Stewart. They will be at my house tomorrow morning...... it’s happening!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great! Looking for mine in two or three weeks.
    Last edited by John T; 04-06-2018 at 11:40 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got a call from George, the Stewart Driver. My kit is loaded and he's leaving the FFR parking lot. Has a delivery in Southern IL, Memphis and then up to drop mine off by Wednesday next week!!

Wilwoods and Moser haven't shown up yet. FFR says they are also on their way.

Still a bunch of kits sitting in the final rack at FFR!
    FFR 4-6-18.jpg
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hoping my kit is somewhere buried in that picture! Stewart was originally planning to pick my kit up this Monday but that was delayed until next week Friday. I'm guessing it will be in the next truckload after this current trip. Good luck to all with your deliveries!

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope my 33 hot rod stag 1 is in the truck. Was told would be picked up this week and should be to me in about 12 to 14 days in Oregon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ILPBFoot View Post
    Just got a call from George, the Stewart Driver. My kit is loaded and he's leaving the FFR parking lot. Has a delivery in Southern IL, Memphis and then up to drop mine off by Wednesday next week!!

Wilwoods and Moser haven't shown up yet. FFR says they are also on their way.

Still a bunch of kits sitting in the final rack at FFR!
    FFR 4-6-18.jpg
    Your kit was right under mine, saw it this morning!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's official.......my delivery has come!!! George was a great guy, not short on conversation either. He likes Bagels and his coffee black. My build number is 9320. I've attached a bunch of pics. Looks like I have about 20 items on backorder but will confirm tonight after inventory.

IMG_6216.JPGUntitled.jpgUntitled22.jpgUntitled23.jpgIMG_6220.JPGIMG_2626.jpg

A few things to report, all looks good but a hairline crack in the right Qtr. Panel gelcoat. Not through the glass, just the gelcoat. Plenty of seams to cleanup and fill, just add that one to the rest.

Had an issue with one of my Wilwood rotors, manufactures defect. Gordon was great and so responsive. I'm sending back and a new one is already on the way.

rotor3.jpg

The one thing that was on my mind as I awaited the kit was the spindle modification. Between the FFR required cutoff, I also had to modify the spindle for Gordon's brake kit as I'm using the IRS with the 15" wheels. I just had to tackle that today and glad I did. All is good! I could have removed a little more material for the FFR required cut but I made them both the same using my band saw. I know that cut is not that critical but wanted it clean, even though others have removed a little more as you will see in my cut. I'm sure it will not be an issue.

IMG_2627.jpgIMG_2628.jpgIMG_2629.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few more......

IMG_2630.jpgIMG_2631.jpgIMG_2635.jpg

Take a look at the last Pic where I cut the spindle as per the Manual. I made my cut to the inside of the second hole, leaving only the one like it shows. I see some have cut it different. Some have left both holes. Nothing mounts to either hole so does it really make a difference?

Just curious.......
    Last edited by stevant; 04-07-2018 at 08:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the info. I hope you have a blast with your build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Finished up my rear brake rotor assembly last night. Much tighter space to run your safety wires with these. My frame stand is all ready for an anticipated Saturday delivery!!!
    Rear Brake.jpegRear brakes.JPGStand.JPG

PS - I did label my rotors as they are directional.

Do you have plans for this frame stand? I really like the wood on casters to make the build easier, but I didn't know where to place the supports. I think I like the height of this as well.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast