BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3/17/2018 complete date for my MK4......delivery by April! (Build Complete)

Post Thanks / Like
    One more observation. My front hubs are Tq to 250 so they are secure I do notice that they are free moving touching nothing but each revolution I hear a clunk from each one? Like it is hitting something. You can hear it in the frame.....any concerns you think?
    Build#1: MKIV Roadster #9320

Post Thanks / Like
    Am I the only one that has a noise in their hubs? Lol.......

Post Thanks / Like
    No noises in my hubs. If it's not hitting anything, its gotta be in the bearings and races...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Call me stupid........I was spinning the rotor with only one bolt holding it in place. As snug as it was it was moving each rotation, clanking against the hub so slightly. I put another lug on the rotor to snug both sides and we have quiet!!!!!!

I know........I know.........like I said, stupid!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok....so the build id going well. Will be uploading more progress shots. Here is my question. I am up to drilling out the last panel before I bring all the panels to be powder coated. Some are done and they look great. The only panel that is giving me a little bit of struggle is the back panel behind the seats. Anyone have trouble with it? I can't get it to sit down enough. I've attached two pics showing the lower tab of the rear interior (drivers side) panel and the weld it is hitting. This is causing the panel to be sitting up about an 1/8". Should I grind out the weld and use POR15 on it or notch out the aluminum where it is hitting. Just wanted opinions and to see if anyone has had a problem with the back panel.

IMG_2920.jpgIMG_2922.jpg

Thanks,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to trim a few panels for best fit. I personally found it much easier to trim them than grind a weld.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I had to trim a few panels for best fit. I personally found it much easier to trim them than grind a weld.
    X2. Generally I trim the aluminum vs. the weld. For the location you're describing, just enlarge the notch as necessary.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Would it be out of the question to have to re-bend the tab? I notched the aluminum, still need more drop. If I made the tab, a little longer it would allow the back to sit in better. Drop down further. I could raise the other side up to I suppose. Im probably overthinking as once it gets Dynamat and carpet who can tell anyway. Are you sealing all the seams once completed with a bead of silicone to avoid any water to come in? I am placing silicone where the panels get rivets but was figuring on running a bead with my finger on all interior seams.....thoughts? Very neat of course!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevant View Post
    Would it be out of the question to have to re-bend the tab? I notched the aluminum, still need more drop. If I made the tab, a little longer it would allow the back to sit in better. Drop down further. I could raise the other side up to I suppose. Im probably overthinking as once it gets Dynamat and carpet who can tell anyway. Are you sealing all the seams once completed with a bead of silicone to avoid any water to come in? I am placing silicone where the panels get rivets but was figuring on running a bead with my finger on all interior seams.....thoughts? Very neat of course!
    6061 doesn't like to be bent, straightened and then re-bent. Especially a pretty tight 90 degree bend like that one. May or may not be successful. It could easily work harden and crack. Check the overall positioning of the part. I've found those bends to be pretty accurate. But I agree. Don't overthink it. That area is behind the seats and if it isn't perfect, only you will know it. (Easy for me to say... I often spend way too much time on stuff that's never seen.)

If you're putting silicone or some type of adhesive on the panels as you rivet them in, no need to add additional unless there's an obvious opening or crack. You'll have some. Around the seat belt tabs, around the footbox tubes, etc. Typically it takes more than just a bead of something. Aluminum tape works well. Some make up small patch pieces from aluminum. I used Marine-Tex epoxy putty on #8674. Worked great, but is maybe overkill.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not posted much as I've been busy but have made progress with a few things. My Koni's finally came but unfortunately my kit did not come with any retainer clips for the coil-over caps. Spoke with Dan at FFR who is sending me four clips so I can finally mount my shocks.....progress!! I had ordered the dash panel from FFR but did not realize it was plastic with vinyl covering. I decided, after looking at others, to order a blank panel and create the competition layout that Paul did. In fact he was nice enough to share his dimensions which was a great starting point for me. I also had to make my own glovebox. Thanks to others who have posted great detail and photos of how they did it, I kind of followed suit and was able to create my own. Here are several pics of my glove box build.

IMG_2894.JPGIMG_2893.JPGIMG_2903.JPGIMG_2902.JPGIMG_2927.JPGIMG_2928.JPGIMG_2929.JPGIMG_2904.JPGIMG_2941.JPGIMG_2940.JPG

I'm now in the process of making my door.............
    Last edited by stevant; 05-13-2018 at 08:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work. Looking good!
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to post my radiator install and my rear brake lines. No major difference than others but want not show what was done........

IMG_2882.JPGIMG_2885.JPGIMG_2886.JPGIMG_2877.JPGIMG_2908.JPGIMG_2909.JPGIMG_2910.JPGIMG_2911.JPG

I'm going with a Hydroboost setup from Mike Forte so once I receive I will move forward with my brakes and hopefully get started on my pedal box. Gas tank install should be ready to go this week along with the rest of my panels going over to the powder coating company.
    Last edited by stevant; 05-14-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Nice work. Looking good!
    -Steve

Thank you Steve.....appreciate your help also!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not posted much as I've been busy but have made progress with a few things. My Koni's finally came but unfortunately my kit did not come with any retainer clips for the coil-over caps. Spoke with Dan at FFR who is sending me four clips so I can finally mount my shocks.....progress!! I had ordered the dash panel from FFR but did not realize it was plastic with vinyl covering. I decided, after looking at others, to order a blank panel and create the competition layout that Paul did. In fact he was nice enough to share his dimensions which was a great starting point for me. I also had to make my own glovebox. Thanks to others who have posted great detail and photos of how they did it, I kind of followed suit and was able to create my own. Here are several pics of my glove box build.

IMG_2894.JPGIMG_2893.JPGIMG_2903.JPGIMG_2902.JPGIMG_2927.JPGIMG_2928.JPGIMG_2929.JPGIMG_2904.JPGIMG_2941.JPGIMG_2940.JPG

I'm now in the process of making my door.............
    That looks fantastic, Steve. I wish I had that kind of fabrication skill.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Dave.......I was nervous taking it on but happy so far with the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided, after looking at others, to order a blank panel and create the competition layout that Paul did. In fact he was nice enough to share his dimensions which was a great starting point for me. I also had to make my own glovebox. Thanks to others who have posted great detail and photos of how they did it, I kind of followed suit and was able to create my own. Here are several pics of my glove box build.

Looking great my friend!
    Would you mind sharing your glovebox specs also as I am doing the same thing with the blank dash and would like to get a head start on the glovebox.

Thanks
    Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jimmy.......I could send you a pattern out of some flashing if you want to use as a template? Let me know if that would help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a little progress last night. Installed my gas tank along with my couplers for the body mounts. Don't want to take the tank out to mount the body. I used 7/16-14 couplers. I also started running braided fuel line from my pump to the filter. I actually enjoy making the lengths of braided line. Tomorrow I will run my SS fuel lines if time permits. My shocks finally came in so my suspension is getting buttoned up. Still waiting for my 15" wheels from FFR. We are not too far from a rolling chassis. I'm making a template for my glove box door. Once my .040 aluminum comes in I'll make the door and hinge it to the glove box. I'll disassemble when it comes time to wrap in leather. Speaking of which once I order my hide I can work on my cutouts for my gauges. Picked up my battery box from powder coating, this guys work is excellent. Mounted it to the front X-member. Dropped off some of the bigger panels to him also today. Making Progress!!!

Here are some pics:

IMG_2946.jpgIMG_2947.jpgIMG_2948.jpgIMG_2949.jpgIMG_2950.jpgIMG_2952.jpg
    Last edited by stevant; 05-15-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    PM me your address and I’ll send it out. I’ll cut one out today.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to run the fuel lines tonight. I know I will probably have to move them to work on the panels and so but at least they are all bent and the clips are mounted so going back together should be easy. Here are pics of how I ran my lines. I used all SS lines and clips. 3/8 feed and return for my Walbro 255 setup. Definitely getting good use out of my bending tool!! Awaiting my big vent kit from Breeze, then I'll be completing my charcoal canister.

IMG_2957.JPGIMG_2958.JPGIMG_2959.JPGIMG_2960.JPGIMG_2961.JPGIMG_2962.JPGIMG_2967.JPGIMG_2968.JPGIMG_2966.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, Steve!

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you again Dave for sending me a sample of your leather. I received it today. A generous size piece I may add. Now I can see what holes I have to make in my dash. I drilled a 2-1/8" hole for my smaller gauges, wrapped the leather and it was perfect for the gauge. Slipped in nice with ever so slightly room. I used a hole saw, but tomorrow I will try again with my circle cutter. I might want to make it even snugger!!

anigif.gif

Looking good!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Continued making progress on my glove box. Completed my door using two pieces of .040 aluminum. Worked out great. Ordered the hinges Paul used in his build. Latch is from a VW. Once I get my leather and start to wrap my dash, if needed, I will adjust the door accordingly. The screws holding in the hinges are temporary, had to order shorter ones of course. I also completed my charcoal vent canister filter for my gas tank.......like I said, making progress!!!

Glove box close.gifGlove box open.gifCanister.gifCanister 1.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you again Dave for sending me a sample of your leather. I received it today. A generous size piece I may add. Now I can see what holes I have to make in my dash. I drilled a 2-1/8" hole for my smaller gauges, wrapped the leather and it was perfect for the gauge. Slipped in nice with ever so slightly room. I used a hole saw, but tomorrow I will try again with my circle cutter. I might want to make it even snugger!!

anigif.gif

Looking good!!
    Steve,

You're welcome. That looks great! Good enough that I'd consider skipping the padding unless you plan to add stitching or just like the plusher look. I went with a very thin 1/8" dense foam padding on my tunnel cover and I like how that came out. I did the French stitch on the tunnel cover along the edge between the top and sides.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking no padding. I’m not crazy about the plushy look at least not too plushy. With the 2 oz leather and that texture it looks great. I like the stitching you did also as Im going to wrap my center console also. I bought the heavier gauge aluminum one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally received my Hydroboost setup from Mike Forte. Overall it has all worked out. Like many times in the build you have to wrap your head around how it's going to work since you are deviating from the manual to install things like this. Good news there were not too many modifications made to install it. I sent my wilwood pedal box to Mike where he makes changes to accommodate the unit, so it comes back to you assembled and basically ready to install. I'm currently in the process of cleaning up the aluminum panel so the Hydroboost sits directly on the steel firewall.

I'm attaching a bunch of pics just to make sure the tolerances of the pedals are correct. Even though the pedal box is modified for the Hydroboost, the mounting of the pedal box and it's orientation are all the same. That does not change so I know the locations of my pedals are to spec, they just look different in regard to how they hook up to the Master Cylinder and that I'm using a Hydraulic clutch. No wildwood MC's here.....

If any of the pics appear incorrect please let me know.

This pic shows the overall mounting and assembly of the pedal box. No nuts on the last two studs as that is where my MC for my Clutch will mount.
    IMG_3031.JPG

The manual is a little confusing as it shows two pics of the brake and clutch switch mounts on either side of the brace. I ended up placing it on the backside closest to the pedal. I'll assume that is correct.
    IMG_3032.JPGUntitled.jpg

Here is the brake pedal sitting really close to the cross brace. I'll assume again it does not come that far up once hooked up, but it caused a little concern after install.
    IMG_3033.JPGIMG_3040.JPG

Here is a pic of the back of the clutch pedal. Once again you have to push it back for it to hit the 3/4" bar but it will hit it. Another assumption that once hooked it will not travel that far back anyway so should not be a problem. I'm concerned about this one.
    IMG_3034.JPGIMG_3035.JPGIMG_3039.JPG

Here is a pic of where the Hydroboost mounts. Can you find the extra hole I had to drill to mount it?
    IMG_3036.JPG

Once again, the pedal box only installs one way and dictates it's own location but just want to be sure the pedal throws will not be disturbed by the frame structure they sit within.
    IMG_3037.JPG

Next pics posted will be of Hydroboost in place with my powder coated aluminum panel for the firewall. Then I can start moving forward with the rest of the drivers footbox area.
    Last edited by stevant; 05-26-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have been making more progress with my build. Hydroboost unit had a manufactures defect on the MC. The threads were not correct which would not allow the banjo fitting to tighten against the crush washer. Definitely happened from the factory. Mike took it right back of course and is sending me out another. Mike's a great guy!! Upper steering shaft finally came in so I was able to get that together. Still waiting for a bunch of panels from the powder coater. I can start getting some panels installed along with the firewall so I can move forward in the drivers foot box area. I also drilled out my dash. I want to send a special Thank you to Edward B (Paul). He has been a great resource for me and I know I'm not alone when I say he is very much appreciated as he always has time for a question or two, three, four....five, six.......... Thanks again Paul!!

Here are a bunch of pics of my progress.

IMG_3028.JPGIMG_3031.JPGIMG_3048.JPGIMG_3065.JPGIMG_3070.JPGIMG_3077.JPGIMG_3082.JPGIMG_3086.JPGIMG_3087.JPGIMG_3088.JPG

Next post a few more..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey man, great work so far. I too am from Long Island. I plan on ordering my kit at the end of the year. Can’t wait to see how your build progresses. It’s got me excited. Mind if I pick your brain when I order my kit? Your set up is similar to what I want to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem, be glad to help where I can. Congrats on your consideration. If you can do it, do it. It’s an awesome project with a lot of reward at many levels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have been making more progress with my build. Hydroboost unit had a manufactures defect on the MC. The threads were not correct which would not allow the banjo fitting to tighten against the crush washer. Definitely happened from the factory. Mike took it right back of course and is sending me out another. Mike's a great guy!! Upper steering shaft finally came in so I was able to get that together. Still waiting for a bunch of panels from the powder coater. I can start getting some panels installed along with the firewall so I can move forward in the drivers foot box area. I also drilled out my dash. I want to send a special Thank you to Edward B (Paul). He has been a great resource for me and I know I'm not alone when I say he is very much appreciated as he always has time for a question or two, three, four....five, six.......... Thanks again Paul!!

Here are a bunch of pics of my progress.

IMG_3028.JPGIMG_3031.JPGIMG_3048.JPGIMG_3065.JPGIMG_3070.JPGIMG_3077.JPGIMG_3082.JPGIMG_3086.JPGIMG_3087.JPGIMG_3088.JPG

Next post a few more..........
    My upper steering shaft just showed up as well. Went into the lower no problem but the steering wheel hub seems very tight on the shaft. Is yours like that? I can only get it on may 1/3 of the way and don't want to force it as I may want to take it off until closer to the final assembly point.

Thanks

Steve
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome car. that color combo is beautiful! i see you completed in 302 days, very cool! About how many labor hours did the build take you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ILPBFoot View Post
    My upper steering shaft just showed up as well. Went into the lower no problem but the steering wheel hub seems very tight on the shaft. Is yours like that? I can only get it on may 1/3 of the way and don't want to force it as I may want to take it off until closer to the final assembly point.

Thanks

Steve

Hey Steve,

If you take a closer look at the upper steering shaft where the steering wheel hub mounts, it's tapered. Once you install the center bolt, it will pull tight into the taper allowing the wheel to tighten onto the shaft. Until then you can only push it on so much as the bolt will be needed to pull the upper shaft into the hub. Mine is not on tight either , I just have the upper shaft pushed further into the lower shaft at the moment.

I hope that makes sense.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Made a little more progress today. Picked up a bunch of panels from being powder coated. I really like the mini-texture finish. I was able to mount my aluminum panel on the firewall which allowed me to move forward with my entire steering shaft, mounting of my Hydroboost unit and installation of my clutch MC along with all the linkage involved with the brake and clutch. I was surprised after mounting the clutch that the clutch pedal was hitting the 3/4" steel tubing up top. I know the forum has many incidents of this and there are a few fixes out there but I thought that was kits of the past. I was under the impression that was resolved with the newer kits but apparently not. I decided to notch the clutch pedal instead of cutting the 3/4" tubing and placing another piece beside it. The Wilwood pedal is all aluminum and very strong. The little notch needed to get full throw on the clutch has no bearing on the structural integrity of the pedal. The notch was easy enough to complete with a Dremel so I'm sure it will be fine once I'm ready to shift gears...........looking forward to that!!!!!

Here are more pics of my progress and the notch I made for the pedal clearance.

IMG_3093.JPGIMG_3113.JPGIMG_3114.JPGIMG_3115.JPGIMG_3116.JPGIMG_3117.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Duke!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you say Killin' It!!! Your doing a great job! Keep it up.
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Higgy!

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted my Engine Kill switch right above the transmission tunnel like some, I wanted a switch plate and wanted to play off the switch design itself and my steering wheel spokes. I'm going to polish the aluminum and have it engraved "Locked" for the off position and "Loaded" for the on position. Personal touches here and there......

IMG_3126.JPGIMG_3127.JPG

Also in the process of mounting my CNC triple reservoir bracket. I'm using the Hydroboost setup so one of the fittings on the unit might keep me from mounting the reservoir closer to the firewall. In speaking to Edward B, he also suggested I make sure it's not to close to the front of the car as I would need room for the hood strut. Thanks Paul!! I'll take some measurements but here is what it might look like when completed. Bolts used are temporary.

IMG_3133.JPGIMG_3132.JPGIMG_3131.JPGIMG_3130.JPGIMG_3130.JPG

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast