BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 3/17/2018 complete date for my MK4......delivery by April! (Build Complete)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevant View Post
    I mounted my Engine Kill switch right above the transmission tunnel like some, I wanted a switch plate and wanted to play off the switch design itself and my steering wheel spokes. I'm going to polish the aluminum and have it engraved "Locked" for the off position and "Loaded" for the on position. Personal touches here and there......

Attachment 86626Attachment 86627

Also in the process of mounting my CNC triple reservoir bracket. I'm using the Hydroboost setup so one of the fittings on the unit might keep me from mounting the reservoir closer to the firewall. In speaking to Edward B, he also suggested I make sure it's not to close to the front of the car as I would need room for the hood strut. Thanks Paul!! I'll take some measurements but here is what it might look like when completed. Bolts used are temporary.

Attachment 86628Attachment 86629Attachment 86630Attachment 86631Attachment 86631
    You're doing some really nice work there, Steve.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Dave!!!
    Build#1: MKIV Roadster #9320

Post Thanks / Like
    More progress.......my MC came back from Mike Forte, all good of course. Was able to move forward with my brake lines. Need about another 3 ft to finish the job, unfortunately need to buy more. Did you say budget?....what budget. Thanks to Jimland, I picked up a Wilwood proportioning valve (Bracket not included, had to make that) for the Hydroboost setup I went with. Was not even thinking about that but makes total sense to have control over the front and rear brake input. No balance bar on this setup. The valve comes with a brake switch sender which I'm going to plug since I'll be using the brake switch up on the pedal. It also has independent outputs for the front brakes. So you can run a line directly to each front caliper from the valve. According to Wilwood there is no advantage to doing so. In my case I chose their other option as I was setup this way prior to the valve install. (Yes, I followed Edward B's brake line setup....Thanks again Paul) I'll only use one of the valve outputs and plug the other as my brake lines "T" into two separate runs at the left caliper. Just some FYI. Also, I received Gordon's Pinion Parking brake setup. Since I'm running 15" wheels with the IRS, there is no room in the wheel for the parking brake. Gordon makes both the brake adaptor kit for the 15" wheel setup when using the Wilwood's and the Pinion brake setup so it all works. Nice Job Gordon.........(Thank you again Duke for your direction with this.)

Here are some pics of what's been done. Any comment on the 3/16" brake line into the banjo fitting on the MC would be appreciated. Want to make sure that is the correct way for that fitting. I did a double flare but it looks like it's setup for an AN fitting also if you choose a SS hose.

IMG_3152.JPGIMG_3155.JPGIMG_3151.JPGIMG_3157.JPGIMG_3156.JPG

Here are a few pics of the pinion brake in a temporary setup to make sure it all works....and it will. Also showing the bracket painted and installed. Will complete the rest when the driveshaft is ready to go in.

IMG_3144.JPGIMG_3145.JPGIMG_3160.JPG

Oh yeah.....my switches came in............

Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by stevant; 06-07-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Steve your build is looking awesome! How many hours are you putting into it each week? I mostly just have the weekends to work on mine, but making progress. You must have got the last of the Koni shocks as mine are still on back-order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Shark....... I try to put in an hour or two per day. Usually later in the evening from about 9-11....... sometimes more. Depends if the wife starts rolling her eyes at me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Assembled the passenger side foot box along with center panel. Can I go ahead and install the inner panels of the drivers side at this time? I know to keep the outer and top ones off. Just curious if there is any reason the drivers inner panels cannot go on.

Some progress photos:

IMG_3171.JPGIMG_3164.JPGIMG_3165.JPGIMG_3166.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stevant; 06-07-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two questions today. The drivers side floor panel has a tab that sits behind the inner panel of the foot box panel. Pictured below. (Well the tab is not visible but you know what I mean...)

IMG_3172.JPG

The logical order is to put the floor panel in before starting the foot box. Has anyone put the tab on the outside of the foot box panel? This way I could continue on the foot box without having to put the floor panel down yet. I guess I could put the floor down but not sure where I am in the build if thats a good idea? Brake and fuel lines are already done but no electrical harness runs have been started. Thoughts????

Next question is the large hole in the passenger side foot box on the lower outside bottom corner. I'm going to be installing Dynamat on the interior so it will cover it but I want to seal it up. How have most been doing that? Make a tight fitting panel and silicone it in?

IMG_3173.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Call me stupid........I was spinning the rotor with only one bolt holding it in place. As snug as it was it was moving each rotation, clanking against the hub so slightly. I put another lug on the rotor to snug both sides and we have quiet!!!!!!

I know........I know.........like I said, stupid!
    Don't feel bad. I did the exact same thing. Grabbed one of my boys to take a look at it and he just looked at me and shook his head. I felt like and idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    It happens.......the simplest things sometimes just make you scratch your head!! That's when I use my line " I knew that, just wanted see if you did" Makes me feel better at least.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Two questions today. The drivers side floor panel has a tab that sits behind the inner panel of the foot box panel. Pictured below. (Well the tab is not visible but you know what I mean...)

IMG_3172.JPG

The logical order is to put the floor panel in before starting the foot box. Has anyone put the tab on the outside of the foot box panel? This way I could continue on the foot box without having to put the floor panel down yet. I guess I could put the floor down but not sure where I am in the build if thats a good idea? Brake and fuel lines are already done but no electrical harness runs have been started. Thoughts????

Next question is the large hole in the passenger side foot box on the lower outside bottom corner. I'm going to be installing Dynamat on the interior so it will cover it but I want to seal it up. How have most been doing that? Make a tight fitting panel and silicone it in?

IMG_3173.JPG
    Maybe my questions got lost in the thread? Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe my questions got lost in the thread? Any suggestions?
    With the fuel and brake lines installed, no real advantage IMO to not putting down the floor panels now and putting the tab where it's intended to go. Electrical harness will be inside the transmission tunnel.

For that area in the PS footbox, I make a little filler piece and glue it in. I've seen several builds do the same thing. Then Dynamat like you said. It's a little too big for Dynamat alone IMO.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    As always.....Thanks!!!! Will get the floor panels over to be powder coated next!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Paul said - glue a patch in for that hole.

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Made a little more progress tonight. Still waiting for a grommet for the firewall and a few clamps. Mounted my triple CNC Reservoir. Hooked it up to the Hydroboost. Some closeup shots if others decide to go this route.

IMG_3183.JPGIMG_3184.JPGIMG_3185.JPGIMG_3186.JPGIMG_3187.JPGIMG_3188.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pic Dave!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished the brake lines today. Also clamped the fuel lines in so they are done too.............sending out more panels for powder coat tomorrow. Will start assembling the interior panels so to move on to the drivers foot box. Will be starting my battery line runs this week, getting ready for the harness. Making progress!!!

IMG_3191.JPGIMG_3196.JPGIMG_3198.JPGIMG_3199.JPGIMG_3200.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting to work on my dash and filler panels. Setting it all up to finalize fitment. Once I do I will mount my underside support braces and secure the dash to the upper 3/4" tubing. Going to fasten similar to Paul and Scott, with the fasteners hidden from behind. No screws through the front panel for me. Here are pics of various angles showing it all clamped up. Looking forward to wrapping it all in leather so I can fit all the gauges!!

IMG_3210.JPGIMG_3211.JPGIMG_3212.JPGIMG_3213.JPGIMG_3214.JPGIMG_3215.JPGIMG_3216.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stevant; 06-14-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Car has been on the back burner, my youngest just graduated High School. I was finally able to get the dashboard mounted with my blind mounts. I used Mike Everson's lower panel which I cut into three parts so I would still be able to access my wires and blind mounts. Very happy with how it came out and once screwed in tight, it is really secure. Need to go ahead and make my brackets for the grab handle which will sit below the glovebox. All my holes have been completed and everything trial fitted. Time to get my leather work done!!!

IMG_3238.JPGIMG_3239.JPGIMG_3240.JPGIMG_3241.JPGIMG_3242.JPGIMG_3243.JPGUntitled.jpg

My engine is complete and ready to be picked up from Mike Forte. Will be making the trip up in about two weeks, by then I should be ready to drop her in.......at least that's the plan!!
    Last edited by stevant; 06-23-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could not resist a test fit............DAP Landau glue (Thanks Edward B) on the way, going to start the leather!!!

IMG_3246.jpgIMG_3247.jpgIMG_3248.jpg
    Last edited by stevant; 06-24-2018 at 09:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That dash looks fantastic Steve!!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks CV, just installed my Lucas switches. Getting ready to work on the leather this week. I'm sure you are excited about getting your kit.

Good Luck and post away as you proceed.

Thanks again for the kind words,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Steve! Can you do me a favor and check a couple measurements for me since I am about to start this part of the build and we are basically using the same parts?

Can you take a measurement from this point down to the top of the hoop?

Also, how far through the dash does the turned part of your Russ Thompson tube extend through the dash and/or the distance to the end of the tube? I'm talking with Russ and want to make sure his new design is correct for the latest MK4 changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll check those measurements tonight and send them over.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks very close to mine by the way but we can share dimensions. It seems to work fine as is. Are you thinking it should be extending further out than that? Overall the wheel should be about 4” or so off the dash if I remember correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
    Looking good Steve! Can you do me a favor and check a couple measurements for me since I am about to start this part of the build and we are basically using the same parts?

Can you take a measurement from this point down to the top of the hoop?

Also, how far through the dash does the turned part of your Russ Thompson tube extend through the dash and/or the distance to the end of the tube? I'm talking with Russ and want to make sure his new design is correct for the latest MK4 changes.

Ok, answer to the first question is 3/8” on both sides. As for the second question, my turn signal column sits almost exactly like yours. I have the Mike Everson finish collar on in the pic. My turn signal portion only slips down about half way. I think yours is going to be perfect as is. I'll attach some additional pics.
    Last edited by stevant; 06-26-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Steve! I also heard back from Russ and he confirmed that everything looks correct and no modifications needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem, looks like yours is good to go to me also. Are you going use the blind mount method to attach your dash?

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem, looks like yours is good to go to me also. Are you going use the blind mount method to attach your dash?
    I hope to be able to mount both the dash and trans tunnel cover without any visible fasteners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, This is Jim. I was at the class with my son. If you remember he spent 50% outside the classroom. I just ordered my kit and expect delivery mid August. How is your build going?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jim...........which class are you referring too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to get going on my harness! This is the area that had me a little concerned but after ironing out a few kinks in my understanding with Edward B, we are all good! Need to make a few modifications to the harness itself, once all my parts come in I'm going to start running my battery feed and main harness so I can branch off from there. Like to be neat with this stuff..............it's steady as she goes!!!!!

Mounted my support panel.
    IMG_3297.JPG

Rear support added.
    IMG_3298.JPG

While I was in there, set screws added to my steering column, don't want any movement!!
    IMG_3299.JPG

Started adding my Dynamat now that Im running the harness in that area.
    IMG_3296.JPGIMG_3295.JPG

Started my harness modifications to fit my setup.
    IMG_3300.jpg

Now to keep plugging away!!!!
    Last edited by stevant; 07-05-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Stevant, I'm at the exact same stage of my build as you. I laid out the RF wiring harness, and the coyote controls pack, then scratched my head a few times, then a few times more. It's a little confusing to me right now but I'm going to read build threads and take the wiring slow.
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    We’ll get there!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I completed my parking brake setup, I will have to remove portions of it when it comes time to install the drive shaft. At least all the bracket geometry is complete and the cable is run so it should go back together with all working properly. This is Gordon Levy's Pinion brake setup. The only bracket I had to make was the one that supports the cable to the right of the brake disc. Duke used the same setup. Always use SS screws with these cars!! I need this since I do not have room in my 15" wheels for the Wilwood e-brakes. Since I'm running an IRS with 15" wheels, Gordon makes a rear brake setup where you modify your spindle and mount his bracket. This way you can use a Wilwood brake setup. The e-brake then would need to be what he offers in the setup I went with or if your state allows, you can use a rear line-lock setup. Either way there is a solution.

IMG_3304.jpgIMG_3306.JPGIMG_3307.JPGIMG_3308.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool setup, Steve. The FFR kit-supplied e-brake setup is an area that FFR could spend a bit more time ironing out.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave!!

From all the threads posted on the subject, you are correct!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up my rear brake rotor assembly last night. Much tighter space to run your safety wires with these. My frame stand is all ready for an anticipated Saturday delivery!!!
    Attachment 83575Attachment 83576Attachment 83577

PS - I did label my rotors as they are directional.
    Steve, can I ask where you got the full floor mat? Although the epoxy floors are supposed to impervious to just about everything that mat looks like a good add. Thanks, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miller7448 View Post
    Steve, can I ask where you got the full floor mat? Although the epoxy floors are supposed to impervious to just about everything that mat looks like a good add. Thanks, Mike.
    Hey Mike,

I picked it up at Costco. Had seen it there one Sunday and purchased it. It is great! Try their website to see if they still sell it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Made a little more progress today with my harness. First of all I was able to install my battery, important step when it comes time to test what you are doing. Trying to consolodate the wiring by shortening lengths that are too long and changing the exit points of some of the wires so they work better with my layout. Thanks to Edward B for all his great posts on how he set up his harness. I'm following what he did and it is working out great. Seems to be a lot of excess wire on the rear harness. I can understand the fuel feeds as you may need to drop the tank in the future but the light feeds are long. I attached a pic, if anything does not look correct please let me know.

The wire coming through the firewall is my alternator feed. The coiled blue wire is my starter solenoid wire. My Rear harness line has been run also.
    IMG_6750.JPG

Battery installed!!!
    IMG_6751.JPG

This is where I Ground my panel.
    IMG_6752.JPG

My BlueSea Systems Buss bar and Mega fuse for my alternator. I will be using a 100 amp fuse. Open lug on the buss bar is for the feed that will be coming into the dash from my Master battery switch. I will be shortening both the ignition and headlight harness.
    IMG_6753.JPG

Here is my rear harness running down the tranny tunnel. There is a lot of wire left in the rear but it's where it should be. The license plate lights I assume run into the deck lid, I guess they feed back and up the hinge into the deck lid?
    IMG_6754.JPGIMG_6755.JPG

Brake light wires and clutch wires all hooked up!
    IMG_6756.JPG

Fuse panel installed.
    IMG_6757.JPG

I'll be installing the drivers side floor panel along with the inside drivers foot bay panels. Once I do this I will work on getting my battery hooked up. Positive feed to the bottom lug of the Master switch, then the top lug will feed the buss bar behind the dash panel and also come back down to attach to the starter. Should have that ready in the next few days depending on my time. Negative feed will run down to the frame right by the battery itself.

Until then we keep plugging away!!!
    Last edited by stevant; 07-09-2018 at 12:02 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast