FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 3/17/2018 complete date for my MK4......delivery by April! (Build Complete)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. I'm about to start this process next, now that my brakes are complete. Do you have part #s for you bus bar and mega fuse So I can take a look?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Shark.....didn't forget you I've been busy with work, sorry. Here is the info for the part numbers you requested. You can see them all in the pic

IMG_3326.jpg.
    Build#1: MKIV Roadster #9320

Post Thanks / Like
    More progress to report. I was finally able to make the trip up tp Forte's Parts Connection on Friday. My wife and I took a nice ride up to Mass from Long Island. It was a pleasure meeting Mike. Great guy just FULL of knowledge. I am real happy with the engine and how it looks. Not over the top flash, like I wanted, and all the go I can ask for. It's a 351 Dart block bored to a 427. Dyno'd at 514 hp and more importantly 534 ft lbs tq. Going to provide a great ride for sure!!!

I also had the opportunity to meet Duke along with his beautiful daughter and of course his amazing Mk IV. What a car, pictures are one thing but in person it's even better. Great sound too. My wife and I thank you again Duke for allowing us to see your car.

Engine in the pickup as we get ready to jump on the ferry!!

IMG_3337.JPG

Here she is on her stand awaiting her install........

IMG_3338.JPGIMG_3339.JPG

I was able to move my shell to my buddy's house where he has a lift. I can now work with a full garage bay.

IMG_3343.jpgIMG_3342.jpg

Starting to finish up my main power feed into the dash panel. Awaiting some connectors to complete.

IMG_3340.JPGIMG_3341.JPG

Will be ordering my Avon tires on Monday. I will finally get her on the ground. I'll fill and bleed my brakes first to make sure they are all good. Once on the ground I'll continue to work on my panels, Dynamat and my harness. Engine I assume won't be too far after all that!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevant View Post
    Hey Shark.....didn't forget you I've been busy with work, sorry. Here is the info for the part numbers you requested. You can see them all in the pic

IMG_3326.jpg.
    Thanks. Your build and engine look great!

Post Thanks / Like
    My rear tires came today so I went ahead and had them mounted. Front should be here in a day or so. I also went ahead and installed my Tire sticker rubber letters with glue of course. These look great on my 15" setup. Really like the look of the Avon radial, it's tread pattern and the overall look of the tire. Vintage look and feel to the car........exactly how I want it!!! Placed them on the car to take in the look. Going to bleed the brakes and once front tires are complete, drop her on the ground. Have some wiring to finish in the engine bay then we are off to focusing on the dash panel!!

IMG_3360.JPGIMG_3361.JPGIMG_3364.JPGIMG_3365.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Love that look!! How did you find the stickers going on, fairly simple to do? Do they go right over the raised texture of the black lettering on the tires?
    HIggy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Higgy,

I was a little nervous, more intimidated by this as I was so concerned about ruining my new Avon tires but it was actually straight forward. Following the directions is key. The kit I purchased used a transfer decal so the letters were already pre-spaced and laid out for a 15" tire. You specify that when you order. You then prep the the tire by lightly sanding with a Dremel any markings that the letters will go over if you choose, once again not very difficult. Slow and steady and don't dig into the rubber. You then prep the tire with Acetone, a lot of prep, along with a light prep on the decal. You lay it out the way you want and then tape it in place to hold it. I glued two letters at a time by pulling back to reveal the back side of the letters. Apply the glue and most importantly use an acid brush or similar to brush the glue over the entire surface of the back of the letter. You will need a lot of brushes as the glue dries quick and the brush is only good once. Don't need a lot, just a nice even coat....no puddling! Once done, fold letters back over onto the tire and press and hold. The letters stink instantly and good if prepped properly. Hold for a bit and move to the next set once secured. No glue seeping out and all edges stuck good if glue is spread evenly and not to thick.

I love this look myself!!

Post Thanks / Like
    More progress to report. My engine is a 351 block bored to a 427 so I was able to get the correct valve covers from Mike Forte and install them. Thanks Mike!!!

IMG_3375.JPGIMG_3376.JPG

I was also able to finish my main power runs from my battery to my switch, and my starter feed is ready to hook up once the engine is in.

IMG_3372.JPGIMG_3373.JPGIMG_3374.JPG

Still waiting for my front tires. Going to work on my dash panel and heated seats...........

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Steve,
    First of all, your build is looking amazing! I've been following closely and am jealous at how quickly you are working! We have a similar set up with a 427 EFI (and front mounted battery) and are starting to tackle the harness/wiring/dash as well (somewhat intimidating for us). I see that you have 3 holes in your firewall. Can you tell me what each of them are for? We haven't drilled our firewall yet and I can't figure out what needs to go through there other than the front harness...
    Many thanks,
    David
    MK4 Roadster #9138
    Blueprint 427 with Sniper EFI, TKO600, IRS, complete kit
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Steve. How did you mount your CNC Resevoirs? I see 3 nuts at the top...are those rivnuts? Also, the pyramid piece that you have rivnutted behind it as access to the DS footbox. I'm guessing that's in the box of aluminum that I haven't gotten to just yet?
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dncharo View Post
    Hi Steve,
    First of all, your build is looking amazing! I've been following closely and am jealous at how quickly you are working! We have a similar set up with a 427 EFI (and front mounted battery) and are starting to tackle the harness/wiring/dash as well (somewhat intimidating for us). I see that you have 3 holes in your firewall. Can you tell me what each of them are for? We haven't drilled our firewall yet and I can't figure out what needs to go through there other than the front harness...
    Many thanks,
    David
    Hey Dave,

The three holes I drilled are for the Alternator, the sensors and one for the EFI setup. I’m sure I could have gotten away with two but they will all be pretty much hidden behind/beneath the air cleaner. I can make neat runs along the top of the manifold to each area.

Thanks for the compliment!!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Looks great Steve. How did you mount your CNC Resevoirs? I see 3 nuts at the top...are those rivnuts? Also, the pyramid piece that you have rivnutted behind it as access to the DS footbox. I'm guessing that's in the box of aluminum that I haven't gotten to just yet?
    Hey CV,

Those are rivnuts that I used for the Triple CNC, screwed up through the bottom of the rail. The triangle access panel is for after the foot box is closed up, when you need access to the foot box area. The master cylinders are in there and the balance bar so access is important for adjustment. If you are doing manual brakes.

Enjoy your build!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    After speaking with Papa and going over the heated seat install process it was actually very straight forward. A little bit of work, spray glue and wire configuring and all went smooth. Its actually a good thing I did this as the leather on the seats was not glued very well to begin with so I was able to get it back together better than before. Here are a few pics, nothing earth shattering but they will be ready for install in the future.

IMG_3380.jpgIMG_3381.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    After speaking with Papa and going over the heated seat install process it was actually very straight forward. A little bit of work, spray glue and wire configuring and all went smooth. Its actually a good thing I did this as the leather on the seats was not glued very well to begin with so I was able to get it back together better than before. Here are a few pics, nothing earth shattering but they will be ready for install in the future.

IMG_3380.jpgIMG_3381.jpg
    Happy to help any way I can. Seats look ready to go.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    36BF8E37-1C2E-4153-A7FB-1C83406A8567.jpg

Ok, it could be me and maybe I’m too anal. The hole for the rear deck lid latch is pretty much dead center but if you notice the license plate bump out, it’s not. It’s off to one side. Anyone look at theirs? Do I just move on? I’m assuming they are all that way as they are from the same form/mold?

Can’t see why this is not perfect, or close to it. Maybe once all mounted you won’t even notice it.

Post Thanks / Like
    36BF8E37-1C2E-4153-A7FB-1C83406A8567.jpg

Ok, it could be me and maybe I’m too anal. The hole for the rear deck lid latch is pretty much dead center but if you notice the license plate bump out, it’s not. It’s off to one side. Anyone look at theirs? Do I just move on? I’m assuming they are all that way as they are from the same form/mold?

Can’t see why this is not perfect, or close to it. Maybe once all mounted you won’t even notice it.
    Steve,

Mine didn't have any holes for the latch. I marked and drilled my own.

Dave

Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a better pic, it’s off but nothing the body guy can’t fix. Just figured the latch hole would come centered, no biggie.

E09A1525-B6F4-4A85-90EE-DEE9D44C701C.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a better pic, it’s off but nothing the body guy can’t fix. Just figured the latch hole would come centered, no biggie.
    Welcome to the asymmetrical Roadster body. Part of its charm. Like so many things though, can't be taken in isolation. You'll want to confirm the location of the latch hole with where the catch mounts between the body and the chassis. That latch on the trunk lid can be moved pretty easily before paint. The catch in the chassis not as easily. Then the license plate holder/light needs to be mounted on the same line as the trunk latch. Important because if you do stripes, both will be in the path of the center stripe and you want them aligned. If the fixture is slightly off center on the pad, it's no big deal and isn't noticeable. Or your body guy can add a little filler on the short side.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Welcome to the asymmetrical Roadster body. Part of its charm. Like so many things though, can't be taken in isolation. You'll want to confirm the location of the latch hole with where the catch mounts between the body and the chassis. That latch on the trunk lid can be moved pretty easily before paint. The catch in the chassis not as easily. Then the license plate holder/light needs to be mounted on the same line as the trunk latch. Important because if you do stripes, both will be in the path of the center stripe and you want them aligned. If the fixture is slightly off center on the pad, it's no big deal and isn't noticeable. Or your body guy can add a little filler on the short side.
    Thanks EdwardB......

Just finished bleeding my brakes. All went well. Nice firm pedal. No hydro boost yet of course. Had to tighten up a few fittings but overall the system is ready to go. Progress!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My front tires came today and had them mounted. I was able to get my letters installed too. All four tires are now on the car and she is ready to be placed on all four wheels for the first time!!

FA0862D0-7A4D-4065-9FAD-6453833A68BA.jpg1B84AC24-0839-46EF-856E-0FBF3AF8A0E7.jpg2E229D45-744C-4980-A021-E2770A0ACAA6.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Those tires look great. I have serious shop envy, by the way.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol...... thanks Steve!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    I have been following this thread closly. I haven't built a kit before. It looks like there are a lot of modifications, extra parts to buy, and fabrications to do. I thought this is a "complete kit".
    I am about ready to order, but worried I may be in over my head. I have never had a problem fixing anything, but not sure about modificating and embelishing. Could someone please enlighten me? It looks like a lot of builders have a very complete shop and experience in fabricating. I can make anything from wood but not so good with metal. Or body work.
    I would appreciate any encouragement anyone can give me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    Hello,
    I have been following this thread closly. I haven't built a kit before. It looks like there are a lot of modifications, extra parts to buy, and fabrications to do. I thought this is a "complete kit".
    I am about ready to order, but worried I may be in over my head. I have never had a problem fixing anything, but not sure about modificating and embelishing. Could someone please enlighten me? It looks like a lot of builders have a very complete shop and experience in fabricating. I can make anything from wood but not so good with metal. Or body work.
    I would appreciate any encouragement anyone can give me.
    Hi Jeff, I sent you a private message to address your questions. Look for the "Notifications" in the top right of your forum page.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    Thank you very much ror your advice/ i think it is going to br OK. looking forward to it. Thank you again,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on my heated seat wiring and routing up into the dash. Tucked it tight into the corners and then ran the wires flat along the flat portion up to the switches. Proflle of the wiring are the same as the dynomat so the carpet will sit flat along that panel. Had to extend the 4 wires to the switch in order to place them in the dash where I wanted.

EA9F7570-EC92-4DBA-A19B-83C6DB626631.jpg343FAFD0-0B29-4ED7-8C10-5224E896C83C.jpg2811D2A5-F08C-45DF-A8CA-608E93DCC353.jpg9B135021-0730-4DA1-8F22-D7C59172B6C5.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Was able to dynomat the transmission tunnel sides along with the section under the doors.

207C75FF-017B-4321-A903-D68096C71D7B.jpg06A053C0-FE11-4647-9D58-DECCA249B1CD.jpg

Moving forward, engine install time coming soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not the first to have to modify my parking brake mount, and I’m sure I won’t be the last either. Had to elongate the bracket hole, the hole in the frame and trim some of the aluminum panel to get the parking brake to go up and down without rubbing against the tunnel. All is good now........

9B27B26A-54E9-4E56-8AED-89FA6A0B547A.jpg27391040-91C1-4608-A895-0B735D96C08C.jpg61DA36FF-2B5B-4436-A4B4-AE21441A2D85.jpg089FE3C2-5593-46D7-991B-5D506C967D7B.jpg

I returned my 1 ton crane and purchased the 2 ton instead. If you intend to make this purchase get the 2 ton. It gives you so much more reach than the 1 ton. It’s going to work perfect for me. Just my 2 cents....

81C1A56C-330F-4269-8854-C6FE4A7B8CFB.jpg

Engine dropping in soon!!
    Last edited by stevant; 07-28-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    3ED24CB0-5104-42F2-BF1B-33AE3F8DDF31.jpg2FB63DB9-6C54-46EB-94BF-5B5D75C1DD8D.jpg745D1732-955B-4256-9638-8D7DC386277A.jpg

Thank you Dave (Papa) for sharing your design for the High beam footswitch. Going to mount down behind the clutch pedal and cover with carpet.

Thank you again!!
    Last edited by stevant; 08-01-2018 at 07:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, did you say what size your Avons were. I kinda skimmed but couldn't find any mention of the size.
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#???? View Post
    Steve, did you say what size your Avons were. I kinda skimmed but couldn't find any mention of the size.
    Higgy
    225/60R15 Front
    275/55R15 Rear

33. Thanks Higgybulin thanked for this post
    Likes Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know there are parts of the build that you know once you get too, you start to get a little nervous as you hope it goes well. This kit is a sum of its parts and in some cases you build up a lot to get to a nerve racking spot......like applying leather to the dash board. So many steps completed to get there and you hope you can get through the final step without a hitch!! Well today was my day, with moral support of some members here I was able to complete the main part of my dashboard and mount my gauges and switches. I am extremely pleased how it came out. I'm now going to be working on the glove box itself as I still need to wrap in leather along with installing the grab bar.

Here are some pics:

IMG_3439.jpgIMG_3442.jpgIMG_3443.jpgIMG_3446.jpgIMG_3449.jpgIMG_3454.jpgIMG_3455.jpgIMG_3457.jpgIMG_3458.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hands and fingers tired from all that cutting and razor work? Looks great.
    -Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I started painting my F panels last night, like Papa, I’m using Rustoleum Bed liner paint. I really like the finish. The one thing in addition is I’ll be going over it with Eastwood matte expoxy clear. It is very durable and will give much better protection from scratches. It really enhances the durability. I’ll also be using black rivets.
    Hello, Now that you have had your roadster build going for a bit, are you happy with the Rustoleum Bed Liner on the aluminum? I'll be starting my build in late September and am trying to get a good idea of what I want to do with the Aluminum panels. Any problem with flaking off or chipping ? Thanks a bunch, I've been reading alot, cant wait to get started. Thanks for doing all of the build reports. I will be doing the same for the next generations...

Post Thanks / Like
    The dash looks fantastic! Great job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the kind words Steve and Dave........ was able to complete the interior of the glove box, going to finish the door later on today. Those pics to follow!!

AAC4D68E-9158-498F-B5D3-035C58AE69AD.jpg

Door covered in foam...... ready to cover.

105527DF-739E-4B79-A82E-A4E0BC6CE480.jpg45DDDF6C-DD25-4635-A331-5C88F7EA3C9A.jpg
    Last edited by stevant; 08-06-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Hello, Now that you have had your roadster build going for a bit, are you happy with the Rustoleum Bed Liner on the aluminum? I'll be starting my build in late September and am trying to get a good idea of what I want to do with the Aluminum panels. Any problem with flaking off or chipping ? Thanks a bunch, I've been reading alot, cant wait to get started. Thanks for doing all of the build reports. I will be doing the same for the next generations...
    I actually ended up powder coating all my panels instead as it is more durable than the paint. I opted for the mini-Tex finish which closely resembles the bed liner paint. Obviously more costly but your budget will dictate your direction. I’m very happy with the results. Papa used the bed liner paint with great results but I know he did mention he wished he powder coated as you need to be careful as the powder coating adheres better than the paint.
    Last edited by stevant; 08-06-2018 at 12:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dash looks FAB!!!!
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

41. Thanks stevant thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I was able to complete my glovebox door. Going to make a polished aluminum engraved panel for the inside. I’m real happy how the fit and finish came out. To me the most nerve racking part of the build as you see it every time you get in the car so you want it as perfect as you can get it.

3BCCAA1B-2BA0-4F85-B6BF-168BEB0B3585.jpgA0D5B5F9-3096-4727-95FC-F60BA1C90EFC.jpg6BFE3328-E58D-490A-8990-2415FEDEC496.jpg036A1CC0-5C0E-423A-A0B0-0079A0AA86B6.jpg

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast