Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Motor Install Help

Post Thanks / Like

Motor Install Help

Well the motor is ready to go in. Couple of questions.

Should I fill the transmission before putting the motor in?

This is going into a 289 FIA with shorty headers. Should I install the headers before putting the motor in?

Any other tips, suggestions, things not to forget or tricks to make this process easier?

I recognize it would not be optimal, but has anyone had success putting the motor in single handed? That is by yourself?

Thanks, Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Joel,
    I would wait until installed and level to put any fluids in.
    The small block motor may fit in ok with headers, but there is plenty of room to put them in after install, that way theyre not in the way of viewing motor mount alignment.
    Due to the angle the motor trans asst goes in, I would suggest a helper. You probably could do it solo, but a very slow process, back and forth from housdt to back of trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    As already stated, wait until the engine/trans is installed before filling the trans. Fluid will flow out the back with it tipped down. Also agree on waiting on the headers. Haven't used those particular ones. But headers I've used wouldn't go in until the engine is installed. Relatively easy to install afterwards. It can be done solo. Many have. But agree it's way easier with a little help. Also depends on what equipment you have. A 2-ton shop crane (not as much for the weight as for the reach) and a load leveler helps a lot. Then take it slow and easy. But at least one helper makes it way easier. Helps to keep the engine from swaying around, pushing down and then tipping back up when positioning, and then rocking it around getting it to drop into the chassis mounts.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    As has been said; trans dry and no headers. Raise the rear of the car as high as is practical and keep the nose down, but high enough for the hoist legs and wheels to roll under. This helps reduce the angle that the engine/trans assembly has to hang going into the tunnel. An engine leveler makes it an easy one man proposition.

Good luck!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all. As always, so helpful.

Joel