BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Access to the fuel tank

Post Thanks / Like

Access to the fuel tank

I am new to the family and am trying to sort through some of the issues / quirks of my car while it's still winter here and I can't / won't drive the car. The car has a boyd tank with the aeromotive pump, I have only filled it once since I have had it and it was slow to fill. I would like to see how it is plumbed etc. and to see if there is anything that can be done to help the fill rate, is it best to get to it from the trunk by removing panels or thru the interior by removing the waterfall etc. ( it does have a hardtop so that would also need to be removed if getting to it from the interior.) I assume that trying to "straighten" out the elbow on the fill tube helps, is that correct or does it not matter ? Is there a consolidated list or tips of things to verify or change to aid the fill rate ?
    Thanks for any help,
    Jim

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the Boyd tank was supposed to be the end all be all of FFR fuel tank woes so not sure what s going on there (I've only recently bought into the hype and and retrofitted the stock tank but haven't filled it yet). But to answer your question, you are going to get to it from the interior. So yes, if you have a roll bar, the top will need to come off to take the bar out, then the seats and water fall will have to come out. That should expose the tank so you can get to the fill tubing. There should be a large capacity vent/rollover valve that you should check in addition to the fill hose routing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply, this is one of those things that is lower on the priority list but if time allows I will look to see what is there ! The previous owner / builder did a great job on the car and spared no expense ( which I greatly appreciate ) and I did see that it has what I believe is a vapor canister and am not sure if that may be an issue, there does seem to be a fuel smell that is stronger than I had expected, the car is running the 480 horse LS3 crate motor.
    I appreciate your time !
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,

Removing the interior will only give you access to the front and top of the fuel tank.

To access the fill tube you have to go in from the trunk side.

I cut my vertical trunk panel so I could remove the section where the fill tube goes through it so I could access the clamps (and fill tube connection to the tank) if I ever needed to.

I've got my body off so if you need to see pictures of the Boyd tank fill connection let me know.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really just looking to see if any of the current methods to increase the venting have been done, and if not I would like to add them. I am not sure how the fill tube area is generally finished out but it looks like it was finished to allow access from the trunk area. One of the things I believe I read was to try and open up the 90 degree bend in the inlet hose so that is the first thing I will look at. If you have time to send a picture that would be great, my address is hutchjc1@jhuapl dot edu.

Thanks for the help !