BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Automatic Transmission in a Roadster or Coupe?

Post Thanks / Like

Automatic Transmission in a Roadster or Coupe?

Mrs. Jazzman surprised me when she said she might want me to build a more tame version of a Roadster for her. She would like a somewhat less potent engine, and must have automatic transmission. Are there any engine/ automatic transmission combinations that will fit into a Roadster? I am pretty sure I have heard of AT begin installed in a Coupe, but which one?

I have seen/heard of under car exhaust being added to a Roadster, not without significant modification. Can under car exhaust be done on a Coupe?

Suggestions for a more wife friendly setup?

Just thinking at this point . . .
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man, I have no hints or tips for you. But CONGRATULATIONS on picking the right woman, and somehow convincing her to pick you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Mrs. Jazzman surprised me when she said she might want me to build a more tame version of a Roadster for her. She would like a somewhat less potent engine, and must have automatic transmission. Are there any engine/ automatic transmission combinations that will fit into a Roadster? I am pretty sure I have heard of AT begin installed in a Coupe, but which one?

I have seen/heard of under car exhaust being added to a Roadster, not without significant modification. Can under car exhaust be done on a Coupe?

Suggestions for a more wife friendly setup?

Just thinking at this point . . .
    Jazzman, my wife also thru me a curve about 6 months ago that she would like me to build her an automatic Cobra. I think she realized how much fun I was having and wanted in on the fun.

Still thinking about it.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    My long standing recipe for my wife's roadster: 4.6 and AOD-E from '03/'04 Mach 1, PS, PB. AC, undercar exhaust, premium soft top. Civilized, driver friendly, still go like stink when it's tail is twisted.

She's informed me that I'll paint it the same as I did Steve J.'s 8243:

Here's hoping JazzMrs. enjoys hers

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Hahahaha i like that - tail twisted - that is great
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    I was sort of contemplating using a 3.5L V-6 from a late model F150, preferably with the turbo. Not sure if an AOD-E Tranny from a Mach-1 would match up. Any ideas? Thats a lot of years between then and now. Mrs. Jazzman wants Silver. No decision on stripe.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

Post Thanks / Like
    The real question we are all wondering is if her Cobra will have a flip top?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Not that it can't be done but if Ford doesn't sell a crate engine and a control pack for that V6, I'd stay away. Modern cars have so many other systems integrated w/ the efi that it is difficult to strip them away. Looks like they USED to sell one but just as a replacement part.
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-35T
    By far the easiest is going to be a 302 and an AOD. This combination is relatively common in FFRs. There are aftermarket suppliers for the trans so you can get one set up however you want it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    289/302, very mellow cam (200-230 HP) Torque at the bottom end, TBI and an AOD.....supper drivable, no surprises, very respectable acceleration to 4500 RPM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    The real question we are all wondering is if her Cobra will have a flip top?
    She says no, I'm saying maybe. I now know several ways to make it even better! Gotta challenge myself. If I do it, I will have to determine what customization SHE wants.
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    289/302, very mellow cam (200-230 HP) Torque at the bottom end, TBI and an AOD.....supper drivable, no surprises, very respectable acceleration to 4500 RPM.
    This sounds like a very good "Goldilocks" setup: not too hot, not too cool, just right! Thanks!
    Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    My long standing recipe for my wife's roadster: 4.6 and AOD-E from '03/'04 Mach 1, PS, PB. AC, undercar exhaust, premium soft top. Civilized, driver friendly, still go like stink when it's tail is twisted.

She's informed me that I'll paint it the same as I did Steve J.'s 8243:

Here's hoping JazzMrs. enjoys hers

Jeff
    But Jeff... can you haul a horse trailer with it?
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Coupe has a flat bottom so I don't think you could do under car exhaust but it would give you the hard top option. Since the coupe is already a flip top, maybe you could blend in the nose and go full flip body, funny car style. Now that has you thinkn doesn't it?
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    While you're at it, why not electric? I don't know what you'd use for a transmission, but maybe you can eliminate one altogether? And, you won't need to worry about exhaust. I'm pretty sure there have been Tesla motors installed in an 818, why not a roadster? That might make for an interesting challenge...
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford has been advertising the Coyote and 6 speed auto with stand alone power pack for a while; just like a late model Mustang. I don't know of anyone who's actually been able to buy that combo yet. But Ford has been talking about it for 18 months now. Should be available any time.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet she would love this car. It's available with a 6 speed auto., and a choice of tops AC, stereo, heater, etc. . Top down sporty cruising would still be fun, and a lot quieter, if she takes her Mom out for lunch..

https://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/mx-5-miata

Post Thanks / Like
    We've been working on putting together a 4r70W package to offer with our 306/347. I know the hotrod guys want it.... is that something roadster guys would be interested in too?

- Johnny
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning my next roadster build with coyote and auto , have no idea on which auto? Although I do know it needs to be green.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —