Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 33' Grill Finishing

Post Thanks / Like

33' Grill Finishing

How are most builders finishing out their grills? I am looking for a "chrome like" appearance, but also protected. I just requested a quote from a plater in the north west that I met at the last Good Guys show and was about laid out when they told me it would be $3500. I then told them that for $3500 I could have the whole grill machined on a 5-axis mill out of a billet of aluminum and then thanked them for their time.

Thx
    33' Hot Rod Coupe/Roadster (GEN 1), Fendered, Ford 302, 350hp, EFI, AOD, 4-Link, Double Adjustable Koni Coilovers, Split Rear Exhaust, Electric Power Steering, AC/Heat/Defrost, Moser 8.8"-3.55, Willwood Front/Rear Brakes, 18" x 8" Fronts/20" x 10" Rears, Ordered: 1.26.17, Arrived: 3.29.17, First Start: 7.2.18, Go Cart: 11.4.18 Paint/Body: 2.23.19, Back Home: 11.24.19, Completed: NEVER!; View More Pics @ https://starmobileone.com/

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Polish it. If you coat it and it's a driver you will eventually end up with a chipped finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    My grill and windshield frame were chromed by someone in Tennessee, the gentleman I bought my kit from last year had it done back in 2011 he paid $1,100.00 back then. If you would like I can find the receipt with the name and phone number if you would like. IMG_6180.JPG
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    They will polish up pretty nice and it's not too hard. For the first time it might be easier to wet sand with 600 and higher grits first and then polish. Then mothers on a microfiber once in a while to spruce it up. Other than that I think there's been a combination of everything, painted shell, polished bars, all painted, powder coated, combinations are endless.

As far as "chrome like" there really isn't anything that I know of and anything that is "chrome like" looks like you wanted chrome but couldn't afford it. There might be some specialty coatings that will give you that chrome look (like Alsa), but you have to find someone that can apply it as it take special equipment.

You could try this:

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-li...gaApd3EALw_wcB

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I polished my grill, then had it powder coated with chrome, it turned out very nice. Not as shiny as real chrome, some what like nickel. cost about $100.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had planned on having the grill powder coated chrome also. First, I had the fan shroud powder coated chrome. The powder coating owner stated if I did not have it clear coated it would tarnish very fast. After the clear coat was applied it is a nickle color.

You may want to have a smaller piece powder coated first and see if that is the color you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also looking at different possibilities and leaning to a Powder coated Copper finish that may mimic what I have on the car now to meet my theme, nice thing is that the powder is peanuts in cost ($10 a pound) and to touch up should be relatively easily. My local shop seems to be very accomodating.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had mine chromed in Tennessee for $700. Excellent job! Dan's Polishing and Chrome, Adamsville, TN.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sanded (started at 220 and ended at 1000) and then polished using Mothers's aluminum polishing compound. Came out nice, has a good shine, but not as much of a high gloss as a chrome coating would. Its a cheaper route, but you will still end up with some scratches or pits that are too deep to sand out, but I was happy with the result and it matches what I did with the roadster windshield frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check into powder coating. There are a lot of options and colors when it comes to that. Prismaticpowders.com and they have some that is real close to chrome or black chrome.