FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hood Latches

Post Thanks / Like

Hood Latches

I have a question about the location of the hood latches. I understand that the distance from the center is 12", but since I'm using a Mr. Bruce 289 body, how do I determine how far back from the edge of the hood I should drill the hole? The rib under my hood is rounded as opposed to the MK4's being flat, plus I don't know if the ribs are the same distance from the edge.
    Thanks for any help.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    You will probably have to use the latch paddles as a guide as to where to drill for them. Perhaps modify the cowl plate's that attach to the body, to reach further in to the engine compartment, if the rib prevents the latch locations from their paddles reaching them. The plates that come with the FFR latch's are pretty small, so if you need to move the latches further back on the hood, to avoid the rib, just make longer plates.
    If you don't like the look of the longer plates sticking into the engine compartment, I suppose you could make new, longer paddles, or add an extension to the stock ones?

Another alternative.
    http://www.quik-latch.com/factory-fi...uik-latch.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, those Quik Latches are pretty cool! Not sue I'd want to go for the extra fabrication or the cost. I'm not worried about drilling through the rib. Thant's exactly what FFR instructs to install on the MK4. Just not sure how far back from the edge I need to be. Don't know if the rib on my hood is the same distance as the FFR hood. I just don't want to screw this up! Since FFR uses the rib to locate the latch they don't give a measurement, just the measurement out from the middle. I seem to remember someone posted, on one of the forums, a way to connect both handles under the hood so that you only had to turn one handle to open both. No leaning over the car with the possibility of scratching. In their post, I believe they used a longer paddle. I think I printed out a copy, but the only problem now is trying to find what I did with it! Thanks for the ideas.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
    Bill, those Quik Latches are pretty cool! Not sue I'd want to go for the extra fabrication or the cost. I'm not worried about drilling through the rib. Thant's exactly what FFR instructs to install on the MK4. Just not sure how far back from the edge I need to be. Don't know if the rib on my hood is the same distance as the FFR hood. I just don't want to screw this up! Since FFR uses the rib to locate the latch they don't give a measurement, just the measurement out from the middle. I seem to remember someone posted, on one of the forums, a way to connect both handles under the hood so that you only had to turn one handle to open both. No leaning over the car with the possibility of scratching. In their post, I believe they used a longer paddle. I think I printed out a copy, but the only problem now is trying to find what I did with it! Thanks for the ideas.
    Rick
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fact...sync-link.html
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Jdav, that's awesome. Exactly the thread I was referencing. I started looking this afternoon, and hadn't found it yet. You saved me a ton of time. Thanks.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Was able to get the hood latches installed, and they actually work! Batman recommended that I go directly through the rib, so that's what I did, and it worked great. Hardest part was making sure I was drilling straight through the rib, since I've got a steel tube in it. Once I got that taken care of no issues other than the recommendation to use a 7/64" drill for the screw holes is too small. Ended up going to 1/8" to keep from destroying the screw. Some minor adjustments to make, but time to disassemble and complete the wiring in anticipation of dropping the motor in. I have some eyelid surgery later this month, so I'm probably going to have to delay the motor install till at least the middle of April. Thanks again guys.

Rick