Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gear Oil and Modifier

Post Thanks / Like

Gear Oil and Modifier

I am putting a new differential cover on my 8.8" solid axel rear end (3.27 ratio). What are your recommendations regarding gear oil? Is the combination of a friction modifier and gear oil better than a gear oil that claims to have a friction modifier added? The car is street driven only, no racing or autoX.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on the LSD you are running. My gear type Eaton Truetrak prefers no modifiers. What you will find is that 99.9% of all gear oils have “some” friction modifier in it. Some guys will run it as is but personally I don’t like the idea of not knowing how much. To compound things some off the shelf oils don’t have enough in it for a complete fill rather they are more intended for a top off. The only oil any more I can find with out a modifier in is the standard Motorcraft lube you get from a ford dealer. With a standard friction plate LSD I would go this route and add the exact amount that is called out to it. The The ford stuff is inexpensive and so is the friction modifier. Plus it’s the OEM fluid for the 8.8.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used this product, as it came highly recommended by builders, at the time I was building mine. I did soak the friction discs in the friction modifier before assembly, and still added what was left in the bottle to the diff.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/royal...0-gearoil.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMOCO View Post
    I am putting a new differential cover on my 8.8" solid axel rear end (3.27 ratio). What are your recommendations regarding gear oil? Is the combination of a friction modifier and gear oil better than a gear oil that claims to have a friction modifier added? The car is street driven only, no racing or autoX.
    Mine was shipped with a supply of FM with instructions to use it with the gear oil.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I used this product, as it came highly recommended by builders, at the time I was building mine. I did soak the friction discs in the friction modifier before assembly, and still added what was left in the bottle to the diff.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/royal...0-gearoil.html
    X2 this is exactly what I do. For heavy or extreme use the FM changes states and is depleted so having some extra in the oil is never bad

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Motorcraft 75/140 oil and Ford Motorsport additive. Put the whole bottle of additive in and fill it the rest of the way with the gear oil. No issues. BTW what cover did you get?
    Last edited by tonywy; 03-04-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for your thoughts. I bought a Moser 7106 cover for my 8.8 rear. I had a leak with the old cover and wanted to upgrade to a cover with both a fill and drain plug.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.