Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Window opening on passenger side too narrow for door glass

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Window opening on passenger side too narrow for door glass

In setting up to install the door windows I found that the pass side opening is just short of 32". Driver side is 32 1/4". I measured the glass and it is 32" both sides. How do I fix/get around this latest surprise?

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make the passenger side running board longer... Sorry.... having some asymmetry frustration myself. I'm still avoiding those side windows. Are you referring to the roof opening or the slot you cut in the doors? The roof I had was definitely crooked but I ratcheted one side shorter and the other I pushed longer at the front pillar to equalize the diagonals. Never measured the side window itself as there is plenty of fiberglass flange on the roof to work with. I was using the firewall as my baseline. Maybe I have the same issue. I'll have to measure my windows now. Mine was 1/2" skewed which seems to be the case all over this body. It doesn't seem to pull to the right though???

A picture of your dilemma might help. Then at least we can all share your pain

Post Thanks / Like
    Studio_20180303_171059.jpg
    Studio_20180303_170612.jpg
    Here's a couple of pictures of the issue. The side glass fits the opening but tightly meaning it will rub on the a pillar and the b pillar when it goes up. Can these windows be ground smaller by a glass shop? I sent a mail msg to FFR but don't really expect much from them until the weather changes back east. Any help is welcomed.
    Last edited by Brave Salmon; 03-03-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Wrong pic.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I had to go measure mine and our tape measures match. That's problematic. I had to tweak mine to get it where it is. The back aligned fine but the front was off so far off it wouldn't work to swap with the roadster windshield so I gave up on that since it rains so often here anyway. I have my windshield in and roof anchored so further tweaking is not preferred. I didn't pull the glass out and check it. Local glass shop may be able to work with it. I don't think I can use Lexan in NY.

If your windshield isn't installed you may be able to jack it 1/4" and reglass the oval mounting holes in the firewall enough to hold it forward. Of course the whole design of that roof mount is a pain to anchor.

There is some taper, but I don't think moving the glass away from the flange that far will seal. This is typical Kids on CAD failure to acknowledge manufacturing tolerances. Fiberglass rarely can be +/- 1/4" accurate. Guess that part of the manual is useless!

Good luck,

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would a thicker weather strip help bring the glass out a little to take advantage of the taper in the opening. Maybe that and just a little shaving to get the opening just a little wider? Sometimes it just takes a little here and there to add up to just enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just measured my opening, 32" on both sides.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    Would a thicker weather strip help bring the glass out a little to take advantage of the taper in the opening. Maybe that and just a little shaving to get the opening just a little wider? Sometimes it just takes a little here and there to add up to just enough.
    It might with some coercive shaving. I had a couple other thoughts, but haven't dove into it. Its just fiberglass after all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    I thought about that but have been unable to locate any seal that has the felt on the side like the ffr stuff. I tried steele, mcmaster-carr, and a Google search. If anyone knows of a source, please post it. Also, if you know if this scheme will work with non-felted seals, please chime in.

Thanks all

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a look at what Tim Collins did on his build by fabricating a frame which uses side runners and felt: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...431#post311431 its a clean solution to aligning and maing sure the window runs consistently.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, closure on this issue. Tony found that FFrs vendor changed the size of the side window glass some time ago. He sent me out new glass that is ~3/16" narrower and it will fit just fine. So, if you run into this problem, call Tony and be prepared to give him the actual measurements of your glass on both sides. Thanks for all the input. I am in fact using Tim Collins' design for my windows. so far so good but still a ways from completion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish I saw this sooner, I was at FFR to see Tony and Dave last Monday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Wish I saw this sooner, I was at FFR to see Tony and Dave last Monday.
    I missed your point. Did you have a nice meeting?

Post Thanks / Like
    I was referring to the windows being a bit too wide.
    Yes trip was good. Spent a lot of time talking to both Tony and Dave.
    Got to see 2 way over powered pickups they are building, one for themselves and another for a NASCAR driver, not sure if I should be mentioning his name or not, or posting the pics I took of them.

Its always hard to go to any place that sells cars/parts without leaving with something you see and must have.
    After all the posts about the old style fuel thank I'm getting the new tank and a set of the FFR floor mats.