Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Brake pad orientation

Post Thanks / Like

Brake pad orientation

Quick question folks . Installing 04 cobra brake calipers today and my new Hawk HPS 5.0 pads just came in. Just getting ready to install and noticed that there are actually two different pads. Two of them have 3 anti-chatter clips and two of the pads only have two. Picture below shows the missing clip in green circle (red circle shows where it is not).

I am assuming this is correct and not missing clips, since the product page photos show the same thing. I am assuming that I just include one of the 3-clip and one of the two-clip pads in each caliper.

So do I need to worry about which side (piston side or static side) the ones with 3-clips go? Again, assuming it shouldn't really matter, but just wanted to double check since their was no instructions with the pads stating one way or the other. Thanks for the help!

brake pads.jpg

P.s. I know that I have to orientate the pads correctly to fit the caliper brackets.
    Last edited by Dagwoods; 03-04-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    Mk IV base kit #9273 Delivered 1/29/2018
    3-link Moser 8.8 3.55
    TKO 600
    427w by Fordstrokers w/Holly sniper efi/hyperspark distro and ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    The circled "clips" look like wear indicators to me. If thats what they are, then they go on the outside position of the front callipers. They will cause a squeal when the pads are worn close to the limit.

HTH
    Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Norm! That makes sense. I'll give it a go.
    3-link Moser 8.8 3.55
    TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Norm is correct, they are "squeakers" and make noise when the pads are worn. On other cars I've usually put them on the inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should clarify my post! If you have calipers with the piston (s) on one side then the wear indicators go there. If both sides have pistons then the outside unless the pads have mounting clips that attach them to the pistons. Then it’s almost idiot proof.

Norm

PS. Never try to make anything idiot proof. God will just make a better idiot. I seem to prove this everyday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent detail, Norm! I've never dealt with squeakers on fixed calipers, only sliding ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, thank you both. Calipers and pads installed. I used to have a 2001 svt Cobra and did mutliple caliper/pad installs, but I didn't remember seeing that. I'll blame it on old age. Or my wife.
    3-link Moser 8.8 3.55
    TKO 600

Post Thanks / Like
    Not all pads have them, I've seen expensive and cheap pads both with and without them. Even for the same car it seems to vary.