FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coupe Custom interior

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe Custom interior

I am starting to focus efforts on the interior of my coupe.
    I plan to make the dash a little more modern with some sort of curve that allows me to set the gauges up better with regard to the steering wheel. I am working on making some custom billet switches. and custom billet AC vents. one area i would like to see, Have people finished the door panels out? I was considering making an interior panel. perhaps making the pocket into a usable door pocket.

Does anyone have some finished out interior shots they care to share?

Post Thanks / Like
    F423DC46-FD32-4ACB-9A7E-9B1A0DEF5B4B.jpeg

Not in the car yet
    Making door panels yet, but will do that after the car is back from paint

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the "Casey Family Build" in the Coupe section - they had a custom dash made for Julie's Coupe a while back - it's awesome. Gauge pod, air vents, all the extra stuff that belongs in a Coupe. Endorsed (and signed) by Peter Brock.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    We're smack in the middle of this. Check out the blog address in my signature - in the meantime I will find some shots to load up to this thread.

We are finishing the door panels in leather, custom window winders and door pulls (aluminum and wood). The dash is all custom work in wood/leather/aluminum as well - right in the middle of the fabrication process.

More soon
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some of the concept drawings

Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Jonas,

I like it!
    Look on the other forum for spaceclam. He did a really nice dash too.

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    rollcage1.jpg
    There it is

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Jonas,

I like it!
    Look on the other forum for spaceclam. He did a really nice dash too.

John
    Thanks John!,

More on the progress so far (not to hijack the thread),

Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Jonas ... WOW!
    Gen 2 Type 65 Coupe. Gen 2 Coyote. T-bird IRS. 3.55 Torsen diff.
    Find me at "Team Limer" on Facebook
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/750619...7668366966791/
    Rally North America "Team Limer"
    https://www.classy.org/team/464751

Post Thanks / Like
    Jonas,

I really like your layout and think that is going to turn out terrific. I will keep an eye on your blog to see how everything turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. If you haven't seen this show it might be worth looking for.
    How It's Made: Dream Cars
    Seeing how a dash is made in a Porsche won't provide much but seeing it done in some of the really low production cars like Morgan, Noble, or Pagani could be helpful.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of something a bit more simple, but much nicer than stock like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
    I was thinking of something a bit more simple, but much nicer than stock like this:
    I like that interior as well. We were going for something 'unique', but adding the lip and the soft materials really finish it nicely.
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a couple of shots of our prototype interior in our Gen III Coupe. These were taken in Scottsdale at Barrett-Jackson.

Most of the substrate parts are 3D printed ABS and vinyl wrapped or, in the case of the shifter surround, painted.

We've got a lot of irons in the fire right now, but plan on developing this into our default interior for Type 65 Coupes that we build and may offer it for sale.

2018-01-12 12.59.37.jpg2018-01-12 15.46.00.jpg2018-01-12 13.00.24.jpg
    Doug
    Former Design Director at FormaCars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug @ Forma View Post
    Here are a couple of shots of our prototype interior in our Gen III Coupe. These were taken in Scottsdale at Barrett-Jackson.

Most of the substrate parts are 3D printed ABS and vinyl wrapped or, in the case of the shifter surround, painted.

We've got a lot of irons in the fire right now, but plan on developing this into our default interior for Type 65 Coupes that we build and may offer it for sale.

2018-01-12 12.59.37.jpg2018-01-12 15.46.00.jpg2018-01-12 13.00.24.jpg
    Awesome - have you thought of doing that form of dash with traditional gauges? For a track car I get the LCDs, but for a road going '65' shelled car I think the LCDs look a little too modern for the build (just my taste).
    Jonas

FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleMaltWSKY View Post
    Awesome - have you thought of doing that form of dash with traditional gauges? For a track car I get the LCDs, but for a road going '65' shelled car I think the LCDs look a little too modern for the build (just my taste).
    We haven't laid it out yet, but a traditional gauge layout should work too.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that dash! You should definitely make that available for sale!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jonas-

That dash is simply spectacular! Very nicely done. I really admire those that have the ability to make metal do their bidding as you have. It is going to be very impressive when you get it completed.

Thank you for showing your progress. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Very impressive!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mucho kudos to Jonas and Doug on their outstanding efforts and results. Spaceclam too - if he's out there. A "softer", more touch-friendly feel and look to the interior of these cars, especially the dash, would go a long way towards making my significant other (and maybe yours) more friendly to the whole idea of a kit car. Following with great interest and lots of cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great work Guys! I see several things I really like. So many details to consider.

JONAS. I love yours! such great talent. I also had been working to make my parking brake like yours. The level of consideration to the details some of you have given is tremendous. I love all you guys that move away from just the stamped kit and really make it your build.

very nice work to all of you Doug glad to see you are making progress too. I like the integration of the buttons and AC controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forcefed1,

I mention this just because it is not obvious from the pictures that Doug posted and you commented on Jonas' E-brake. We all know how difficult it is to get good looking let alone functional results with the FFR E-brake, rather than try to fix the FFR solution, we have recently started installing electrically actuated e-brakes on all of our builds.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Electric E-brake has got to be the way to go. It could really simplify things in that region of the car. Which one are you guys using?

The more I look at the modern FC dash, the more I like it. It has that 60s stingray feel with modern textures and the billet air vents are very nice too.

I made some billet center vents last weekend that replicate my wheels. The outer rings to mount them in are not finished fabricating but the centers came out real good.
    I turned them on the lathe and then wire EDM cut out all the center sections.

IMG_9761_1280x960.JPG IMG_9763_1280x960.JPG

here is the wheel 29614.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I love our vents. Unfortunately, I sold my WEDM when I got out of the mold business more than a decade ago. Guess I'm stuck working with a Mill/turn, so no sharp inside corners.

As for the E-brake we are using the E-Stopp actuator but are developing our own controls as we aren't crazy how they implement their's.

You're correct about the early 60's vette being the inspiration for the interior design. The dash, center console and door panels are a composite of sheet metal backbones, 3-D printed components, and conventional upholstery. We currently do everything in house with the exception of most of the sheet metal.

While there are a lot of very well executed interiors in the component car community, there is only so much you can do with a rectangular sheet metal box. Thanks for the praise.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris- Is the headunit a conventional 2xDIN or just a tablet?

EDIT- I see it's a standard Pioneer unit. Did you have to do any modifications to fit this? In the Gen 3 it appears the frame takes up more interior space than in previous versions? I've got a Pioneer 2xDIN in Gen 1.
    Last edited by TimC; 03-18-2018 at 07:00 PM.
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim,

It is a 2XDIN and extends well into the tunnel. We 3D printed a component the closes off the hole that we had to cut in the tunnel sheet metal and also supports the rear of the radio.

Chris

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doug,

Nicely done! It's a modern look without looking too modern if you know what I mean.

I went on your website (we met at SEMA with Dave Smith) - Can you provide the details and availability of the MT82 shifter kit>?

thanks

Erik
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    Doug,

Nicely done! It's a modern look without looking too modern if you know what I mean.

I went on your website (we met at SEMA with Dave Smith) - Can you provide the details and availability of the MT82 shifter kit>?

thanks

Erik
    Erik,

Thanks for the compliments. You met one of the other guys at SEMA, I wasn't able to go this year, sadly.

On the shifter, we aren't quite ready to make a public announcement yet (we'll have a post in the next couple of weeks), but I'll send you a PM with where we are likely headed.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I've utilized my printer for a few parts (dome lights, side window latch bushings, more but can't think of them right now) on my coupe. I wished I had it at the start instead of after the build.
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim,
    We use 3d printing extensively. One caution, PLA does not tolerate heat very well. We use ABS for all of our parts, though we are experimenting with some other materials that are good at higher temperatures.

Chris