Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tire/ steering alignment shop near Bolingbrook, IL?

Post Thanks / Like

Tire/ steering alignment shop near Bolingbrook, IL?

Been debating whether to do my tire alignment or find a shop to do it. Leaning towards the shop option. My garage is pretty tight.
    This way I will need to install a hitch on my Honda minivan (so I can tow it someplace warmer when we move from IL)

I see a bunch of nuts and bolts in the front. Also, there is a long bar in rear end. Seems like it can be adjusted to sides.

Is steering part of the alignment?

Thanks.
    Last edited by broku518; 03-05-2018 at 07:14 AM.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have the three or four link rear, you can do the following (a bit more complicated if you have independent rear suspension).

Jack stands, string, caster / camber bubble gauge, tape measure, two garbage bags, a couple ounces of engine oil.

Make sure the steering rack is centered.

Fold the garbage bags in one-foot or so squares with a bit of engine oil between the folds and place under the front tires. Set the jack stands up two on each side a few feet in front and behind the car, then tie the string to them longitudinally so that it bisects the wheels right at the center of the hub and is just touching both the leading and trailing sidewall of the rear tires. Take measurements for the front wheel from the string to the wheel lip - this will help you get toe measurements.

Use the caster / camber bubble gauge to detect camber (when the wheels are straight) and caster (when the wheels are turned so that the angled edge of the gauge is 90* to the frame rails.

This is all I did to set my initial alignment and what I've done to check it periodically. Ten thousand miles on soft Avon tires with perfect wear pattern and very smooth handling with good return-to-center, reasonable effort (manual steering), and hands-off straight line tracking.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gumball,

Thanks for the info. I am not familiar with these terms you mentioned. I need to google it to get the picture of what needs to be measure and where.
    Do you happen to have a pictures how you did it?

I have a 3 link rear end.

Thanks,
    Martin
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    How about we do this.... give the weather a few more weeks to turn nice and I'll break 7074 out from hibernation and bring it and my caster / camber gauge down. You supply the rest of the things needed and we'll do the alignment and enjoy some rides in my car.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    How about we do this.... give the weather a few more weeks to turn nice and I'll break 7074 out from hibernation and bring it and my caster / camber gauge down. You supply the rest of the things needed and we'll do the alignment and enjoy some rides in my car.
    Chris,

You're the man.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ThickCobra View Post
    Chris,

You're the man.
    x2. Kudos!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    wow! That would be wonderful
    I can work around your schedule.

Thanks,
    Martin

Cobrapreneur
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Been debating whether to do my tire alignment or find a shop to do it. Leaning towards the shop option. My garage is pretty tight.
    This way I will need to install a hitch on my Honda minivan (so I can tow it someplace warmer when we move from IL)

I see a bunch of nuts and bolts in the front. Also, there is a long bar in rear end. Seems like it can be adjusted to sides.

Is steering part of the alignment?

Thanks.
    Don Hansen’s auto. Great car guy. Knows his stuff. Allows you to get under the lift and get greasy if you want. Credit Sten for initially finding this guy. I’ve used him twice. https://www.donhansensauto.com/
    Last edited by Cfehrenb; 03-06-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cfehrenb View Post
    Don Hansen’s auto. Great car guy. Knows his stuff. Allows you to get under the lift and get greasy if you want. Credit Sten for initially finding this guy. I’ve used him twice. https://www.donhansensauto.com/
    Martin,

If you go this route, the offer for rides (especially for the kids) is still good - happy to drop by anytime once Spring finally arrives and the roads are salt-free.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin,

If you go this route, the offer for rides (especially for the kids) is still good - happy to drop by anytime once Spring finally arrives and the roads are salt-free.
    Hi Chris,

His place is like 90min from my house. I would prefer if you could come by and show me how to do it. Plus I can get some mods ideas looking at your ride

Thanks,
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Hi Chris,

His place is like 90min from my house. I would prefer if you could come by and show me how to do it. Plus I can get some mods ideas looking at your ride

Thanks,
    Martin
    Roger that - always happy to have a reason to take it out and talk cars.

Maybe there are others from the area who would like to join, as there are quite a few driving (and in-progress) cars in the area.

Let's watch weather and the sodium content on the roads and post an invitation thread in a few weeks.
    Later,
    Chris

Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Roger that - always happy to have a reason to take it out and talk cars.

Maybe there are others from the area who would like to join, as there are quite a few driving (and in-progress) cars in the area.

Let's watch weather and the sodium content on the roads and post an invitation thread in a few weeks.
    Yes, count me in. I'm up in the Kildeer area and Bolingbrook is only a 45 min drive.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    works for me!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool! Thanks

I will tentatively plan for first two weekends in April. Will post another thread later.

Thanks,
    Martin